Colm "Woolly" Parkinson

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 07, 2017, 09:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Colm "Woolly" Parkinson?

Flute
15 (34.1%)
Breath of fresh air
20 (45.5%)
Who's Colm Parkinson?
9 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: July 09, 2017, 09:01:42 PM

screenexile

Wooly's an eejit! An average player at the time he gets access because he's a bit of a character and used to play for Laois.

Brolly wiped the floor with him the other evening and Wooly is not immune to grandstanding himself when he feels like it. Comparing himself to Diarmuid Connolly was one of the funniest things I've heard in a while!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
Wooly's an eejit! An average player at the time he gets access because he's a bit of a character and used to play for Laois.

Neilly wipes the floor with him the other evening and Wooly is not immune to grandstanding himself when he feels like it. Comparing himself to Diarmuid Connolly was one of the funniest things I've heard in a while!

There's very few players who look bad when compared to Connolly, unless your only barometer for him is YouTube highlights of fancy kicks.

hectorsheroes

Good luck to him - i don't know his opinions but it seems there are plenty - seemingly controversial - from what I have seen there is no coherent argument - ala Galloway - all about the media it seems - I don't mean to have a cut but it's an easy thing to criticise - anyway what about a guardiolla gaa = all attacking

DJGaliv

Brolly wiped the floor with him the other evening and Wooly is not immune to grandstanding himself when he feels like it. Comparing himself to Diarmuid Connolly was one of the funniest things I've heard in a while!

He compared himself to Connolly as in they're both a bit hot headed and can be eejits at times. Absolutely no comparison football talent related.

I like Wooly, think he brings a nice bit of fresh analysis from the footballers perspective. You'd think with all the newly retired footballers in the media that lifting the lid on what it's like in a county panel wouldn't be unique but it really is.

I do think he got it wrong with the doping story and was arguing over a total different thing and very protectionist rather than accepting no sport is immune.

But he really is good for gaa. Too many Canice Pilkingtons pretending to give us insight out there. Wooly isn't everyone's cup of tea but that's what makes him unafraid to offend. And unlike brolly he doesn't offend people for othe spectacle of it he actually would believe it. Also when he gets things wrong he readily admits he may have lost the run of himself.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: DJGaliv on July 09, 2017, 10:11:47 AM

He compared himself to Connolly as in they're both a bit hot headed and can be eejits at times. Absolutely no comparison football talent related.

I like Wooly, think he brings a nice bit of fresh analysis from the footballers perspective. You'd think with all the newly retired footballers in the media that lifting the lid on what it's like in a county panel wouldn't be unique but it really is.

I do think he got it wrong with the doping story and was arguing over a total different thing and very protectionist rather than accepting no sport is immune.

But he really is good for gaa. Too many Canice Pilkingtons pretending to give us insight out there. Wooly isn't everyone's cup of tea but that's what makes him unafraid to offend. And unlike brolly he doesn't offend people for othe spectacle of it he actually would believe it. Also when he gets things wrong he readily admits he may have lost the run of himself.

They're some interesting points DJ. One of the things that really gets on my wick about Brolly is that a man of his intellect and ability should be above the sort of trolling he does. Instead, it seems to be his guiding star, and there's something tragic about that. That said, saying someone is good because they admit being wrong and losing the run of themselves makes me wonder what a show would be like presented by someone more insightful, and less inclined to lose the run of him- or herself?

INDIANA

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 08, 2017, 09:34:42 AM
Indiana, what podcast is the standard bearer then?

One that's minus that twat.

INDIANA

Precisely- listening to Colm you'd swear he was a top player.

He wasn't - he was talented and wasted his talent

Trying to pass himself off as being comparable in any facet of Gaelic Football to Diarmuid Connolly was the funniest thing I've heard in years.

Self-delusion is a wonderful thing and he lives in Never Never Land.

omagh_gael

Did he go off with your missus some night, Indiana?

Not being twisted here but I think he is very reasonable when it comes to analysing his own career. He acknowledges all the time that he was an eejit, bad trainer and shit stirer etc.

INDIANA

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 09, 2017, 07:37:53 PM

Not being twisted here but I think he is very reasonable when it comes to analysing his own career. He acknowledges all the time that he was an eejit, bad trainer and shit stirer etc.

And money grabber. and sailed off into the sunset when things went bad. You missed that bit as well.

Tubberman

Quote from: INDIANA on July 09, 2017, 07:48:30 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 09, 2017, 07:37:53 PM

And money grabber. and sailed off into the sunset when things went bad. You missed that bit as well.

We're discussing him as a pundit/analyst - not as a player or person.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

east down gael

I'm not sure he compared himself to connolly talent wise at all. I can't remember exactly how the conversation went,but was he not referring to the fact he was in a spot of bother,non football related,similar to connolly?
   His podcasts are the best about in my opinion.not afraid to call it,see his interview with dick clerkin,generally a good bit of humour,and covers the hot topics.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: east down gael on July 09, 2017, 08:40:22 PM
I'm not sure he compared himself to connolly talent wise at all. I can't remember exactly how the conversation went,but was he not referring to the fact he was in a spot of bother,non football related,similar to connolly?
   His podcasts are the best about in my opinion.not afraid to call it,see his interview with dick clerkin,generally a good bit of humour,and covers the hot topics.

He basically said he couldn't be criticising Connolly too much as he was 'no shrinking violet' himself. I'm fairly sure they were the words he said.

east down gael

I'd say that was a wink in the direction of his own misbehaviour on a night out.

Mayo4Sam

I've known him on a personal level, twat, eijit, notions.
Having said that his podcast is very good
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Newbridge Exile

Really enjoy both the Football and Hurling Podcasts, Cian Ward is an excellent analyst