Colm "Woolly" Parkinson

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 07, 2017, 09:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Colm "Woolly" Parkinson?

Flute
15 (34.1%)
Breath of fresh air
20 (45.5%)
Who's Colm Parkinson?
9 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: July 09, 2017, 09:01:42 PM

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on July 08, 2017, 12:06:55 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 07, 2017, 09:52:06 PM
Years ago, some young lad had a Twitter account called @banterpanther which he used to take the piss out of the great and the good. Fair enough. He had a pop at Parkinson though, and Parkinson didn't care for it. So Parkinson doxed him – that is to say, he found out who the young lad was and tweeted his name and details.

Now, as it turns out, I believe the young lad did ok out of all of this. Twitter was (relatively) new at the time, and he was able to "sell" his account to some entrepreneur who thought a ready-built list of followers was worth whatever he paid for it.

But the thing is, it mightn't have worked out well for the young lad. It might have worked out badly, and I don't know how much that was taken into consideration. It was relatively easy for Parkinson to find out who he was because this a small country, the GAA runs through it and Parkinson's GAA network is huge. But, for a guy trying to make his way in media I thought he was being very precious about being criticised. I don't think he's any too shy about dishing out criticism himself; I don't know. Maybe he's toughened up. But at the time I thought it was a really shitty thing to do.

His podcasts are banal , un-interesting, Un-informed and full of cliches.

He'll be due a stint on the Sunday Game soon.

There is more respect for pondweed in Dublin then Parkinson.

So you've remembered the password to the account Zulu - good to have you back.

mrdeeds

Wasn't he on the Sunday Game few years ago talking about Seanie Johnson situation. He was anti his move with the arguement it's all about where your from. The irony was him playing club football in Dublin.

weareros

When you compare to say Second Captains, he and his presenters have a far better understanding on how to do audio journalism. Predictions tend to be a little formulaic but overall the best of the GAA podcasts and they keep it entertaining.  Even though not GAA (although he had Sean Boylan on recently) think Dunphy's The Stand sets the standard.

The Subbie

I like his podcast's , no nonsense and plenty of valid discussion, Cain Ward and Conan Dotherty are 2 knowledgeable boys as well so it's a good mix.
If woolly could get thru a single podcast without mentioning that he used to play for Laois it would be an even better podcast. Practically every time he is on he mentions it

GalwayBayBoy

Hid podcasts (including the hurling one) are good in fairness and he doesn't take himself too seriously. His interview with Peter Creedon last week was deliciously uncomfortable.

Actually think he's been missed on Off the Ball on Newstalk since he left as the rest are so ultra PC. Parkinson was like the uninvited guest at a wedding.

J70

Listened to his podcast the other week. Thought it was interesting.

Its weird, having lived in the states for a number of years now, to hear someone casually using words like "shit" on a sports radio programme though!

omagh_gael

Indiana, what podcast is the standard bearer then?

illdecide

I clicked on "who is colm parkinson" but should have read a bit first as i now remember him...Is that the lad with the big mop of hair who was one of Laois better players, tricky we bollix who could play rightly. Don't know one thing about him on podcasts or twitter so can't comment on that, dunno if a player/ex player like this deserves his own thread though?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

dublin7

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 08, 2017, 12:19:36 AM
Wasn't he on the Sunday Game few years ago talking about Seanie Johnson situation. He was anti his move with the arguement it's all about where your from. The irony was him playing club football in Dublin.

I think his podcasts are excellent. Not a fan of damien Hayes on the hurling but that's not a big issue. Parkinson has admitted himself on the podcasts he was horrible to manage and he did himself no favour s with his conduct at times when playing for Laois. Avoids cliches and waffle that is the sunday game and gives proper interesting analysis of games

Tubberman

Excellent podcasts - no bullshit, proper analysis. Gets carried away from time to time, but admits that himself.
Conan is a bit of a dose though
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

JimStynes

Can't stand Conan's accent and constant 'I remember Derry were playing ....'

thefont

Quote from: Tubberman on July 08, 2017, 10:54:27 AM
Excellent podcasts - no bullshit, proper analysis. Gets carried away from time to time, but admits that himself.

Agreed, he is up against his own personality a bit but seems to realise it. Still it is by far the best GAA podcast. No accident that is so well produced if you look at who is behind it.

I really like the second captains in general but I have always found their GAA and American sports coverage to be quite weak. Can't see the appeal in McConville...repetitive, not cogent, contradictory. They would be better just going with Ciaran Murphy or maybe hiring someone like Parkinson. You wouldn't be paying for it anyway. The soccer coverage is sensational though and hugely entertaining even though I'm not really a soccer fan.

Off the ball is similar to the Sunday game, conservative, outdated, frequent cringe moments, terrible interviewers and presenters. What you would expect from the mainstream I suppose. But through sheer quantity you will get some good moments so I do check out their podcasts.

In general (I know this is often said) but there is a massive gulf in class between the hurling media and the football media. Being from a football county myself I have no axe to grind against it I may add.

On the one hand you have genuinely eccentric characters like Ger Loughnane who I would say is a passionate contrarian against Brolly's tiresome affectations, egregious leg fondling (before the watershed c'mon rte) and needless cruelty to usually easy targets.

Even a babbling lunatic like Cyril Farrell can make the odd good point and his out of control enthusiasm is infectious and endearing. Contrast the sheer unadulterated dourness of the schoolmasterly O'Rouke and his googlisms.

What can you say about Pat Spillane that hasn't been said. His canned, sorry scripted (thanks Dessie!) speeches are father-of-the-bride bad.

Compare that to Daly's quips, vignettes and the maniacal delivery. Even the serious analysts are way outgunned in football, Wheelo v Jamsie O'Connor, Dessie v JJ Delaney? No contest there.

Maybe we need Clare to win a football All Ireland to bring the standard of punditry up, c'mon football get your sht together!

Jinxy

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 08, 2017, 09:34:42 AM
Indiana, what podcast is the standard bearer then?

Does Senan Connell have a podcast?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

I think he drives a Hyundai.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: thefont on July 08, 2017, 11:56:12 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 08, 2017, 10:54:27 AM

Agreed, he is up against his own personality a bit but seems to realise it. Still it is by far the best GAA podcast. No accident that is so well produced if you look at who is behind it.

I really like the second captains in general but I have always found their GAA and American sports coverage to be quite weak. Can't see the appeal in McConville...repetitive, not cogent, contradictory. They would be better just going with Ciaran Murphy or maybe hiring someone like Parkinson. You wouldn't be paying for it anyway. The soccer coverage is sensational though and hugely entertaining even though I'm not really a soccer fan.

Off the ball is similar to the Sunday game, conservative, outdated, frequent cringe moments, terrible interviewers and presenters. What you would expect from the mainstream I suppose. But through sheer quantity you will get some good moments so I do check out their podcasts.

In general (I know this is often said) but there is a massive gulf in class between the hurling media and the football media. Being from a football county myself I have no axe to grind against it I may add.

On the one hand you have genuinely eccentric characters like Ger Loughnane who I would say is a passionate contrarian against Brolly's tiresome affectations, egregious leg fondling (before the watershed c'mon rte) and needless cruelty to usually easy targets.

Even a babbling lunatic like Cyril Farrell can make the odd good point and his out of control enthusiasm is infectious and endearing. Contrast the sheer unadulterated dourness of the schoolmasterly O'Rouke and his googlisms.

What can you say about Pat Spillane that hasn't been said. His canned, sorry scripted (thanks Dessie!) speeches are father-of-the-bride bad.

Compare that to Daly's quips, vignettes and the maniacal delivery. Even the serious analysts are way outgunned in football, Wheelo v Jamsie O'Connor, Dessie v JJ Delaney? No contest there.

Maybe we need Clare to win a football All Ireland to bring the standard of punditry up, c'mon football get your sht together!

Agree and disagree on the Second Captains GAA Font. I like McConville; I've learned a lot listening to him. But the Second Captains GAA coverage is token, whether they want to admit it or not, and I find that annoying. I don't like their coverage of US sports, not least as it's so achingly politically correct. They're also very weak on rugby but that seems to be a general thing in the Irish media. I love rugby myself but I can fully understand why people get turned off it by the way it's covered.