Roscommon v Galway - Connacht SFC Final 2017 [Wind Tunnel, 9/7/17]

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2017, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

No surprise that Wynne is replaced but Armstrong is definitely a puzzler if fit, one of Galway's better players against Mayo.
Perhaps there will be a swap with Walsh as you've outlined cornetto which would make more sense.

Manning18

Shane Walsh being dropped would make absolutely no sense. We're past that point. This team should be about getting the best of Comer, Walsh and Daly and fitting the rest around that.

An Fhairche Abu

I meant if he is injured as speculated. I would find a place for Armstrong as well though based on the Mayo match and the Kildare league final performances.

Manning18

Sorry missed the injury. Agree with Armstrong. *shock* it looks as if it might be windy Sunday. Could be a big switch around based on the direction we're playing. Brannigan looks like his go to player against the wind. Could see Lundy too if its second half. With it, think we need to get our "shooters" such as Army, Conroy, Walsh, Daly, Heaney on as much ball as posssible.

Duine Eile

Surprised Armstrong isn't starting unless it's due to injury. If he's fit I'm sure we'll see him along with Lundy, Sice and Cummins at some stage, we have serious options on the bench in the forward division, the same cover isn't there in defence though. Hopefullly Ruairí Lavelle leaves the defending to the backs this time  ::) Good to see Eoghan Kerin fit again, he must be fairly flying in training to make his first appearance of the year in a Connacht final!

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 05, 2017, 11:31:03 AM
I meant if he is injured as speculated. I would find a place for Armstrong as well though based on the Mayo match and the Kildare league final performances.
If Armstrong is not injured he has to start and that is something I didn't think I would be typing this year!  I didn't think he had a whole lot to offer Galway by coming back but I am pleasantly surprised to be proved wrong as his recent form has been very good indeed. Good to see Kerin back also as he will add a bit more stability, which is badly needed, to that FB line!  Wynne wasn't really at the races against Mayo and was under pressure from a long way out in that game.   

seafoid

Dying to see the Rossies in action. Will they be as motivated as their League attitude was not ? A cracking match would be good for both sides.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: oliverkelly on July 05, 2017, 09:12:45 AM
Quote from: cornetto on July 05, 2017, 08:43:18 AM
The Galway to play Roscommon on Sunday in the Connacht Final shows two changes from the team that started against Mayo in the semi-final , Eoghan Kerin replaces David Wynne in defence while Eamon Brannigan comes in for   Sean Armstrong up front .

Ruairi Lavelle
Cathal Sweeney
Declan Kyne
Eoghan Kerin
Gary O'Donnell (Captain)
Gareth Bradshaw
Liam Silke
Fiontán Ó Curraoin
Paul Conroy
Thomas Flynn
Michael Daly
Johnny Heaney
Eamonn Brannigan
Damien Comer
Shane Walsh

Armstrong unless injured will start,I think you will find s.walsh the one not starting.'

I am surprised lavelle starts in goal again he was an accident waiting to happen the last day but surely couldnt be as bad again?
I expect brannigan will move out to wing forward with Heaney playing a deeper role, Heaney was excellent when ye beat us in FBD at start of the year

Might have something to do with Power the 2nd choice keeper a bigger accident waiting to happen. You will be correct about Brannigan,Heaney. The Galway strength in depth in their forward line and midfield is the best its been since 1998 to 2001 but goalkeeper,defence they are light on options

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on July 05, 2017, 04:09:45 PM
Problem for us is our defence is even poorer :-\
True and it might be helped if it had a system or structure to it like Galways defence has but McStay is the manager and thinks he can get by as it is.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 05, 2017, 04:23:13 PM
True and it might be helped if it had a system or structure to it like Galways defence has but McStay is the manager and thinks he can get by as it is.

What county are you from?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2017, 04:50:22 PM

What county i am from makes no difference to my accurate debate.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 05, 2017, 05:11:16 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2017, 04:50:22 PM

What county i am from makes no difference to my accurate debate.

You're strangely unwilling to be up front about it.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 05, 2017, 12:04:12 PM
Surprised Armstrong isn't starting unless it's due to injury. If he's fit I'm sure we'll see him along with Lundy, Sice and Cummins at some stage, we have serious options on the bench in the forward division, the same cover isn't there in defence though. Hopefullly Ruairí Lavelle leaves the defending to the backs this time  ::) Good to see Eoghan Kerin fit again, he must be fairly flying in training to make his first appearance of the year in a Connacht final!

I was surprised to see Kerin back on the bench against Mayo as had assumed he was out for the season, good to see him back as he adds a bit of pace to that full back line.

Like the others i didn't expect to be disappointed that Armstrong isn't starting, his free taking the last day was very impressive.

cornetto

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 05, 2017, 10:36:55 AM
No surprise that Wynne is replaced but Armstrong is definitely a puzzler if fit, one of Galway's better players against Mayo.
Perhaps there will be a swap with Walsh as you've outlined cornetto which would make more sense.

It looks like my theory on Shane Walsh has proved unfounded,
s armstrong  it seems was doing some work with his dad who is a builder and done in his back,it is hoped he will make the bench,but no guarantee.