Cluiche Ceannais Laighean 2017, Cill Dara v Áth Cliath

Started by Donnellys Hollow, June 17, 2017, 11:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

The Kerry hammering of Kildare by a final score of 7-16 to 0-10 in the All Ireland football quarter final of 2015 I'd say left huge scars. The odds are Dublin 1/14 and Kildare 9/1.

The Handicap is +/- 9 depending which side you are looking from. From that perspective it looks like an non-event. What ordinary Kildare fan would want to traipse into a half empty Croke Park of which 95% would be Dublin fans and endure what seems likely to be a good beating.

Isn't it great though that Headquarters have made great strides to get the better of Evil Soccer and Rugby in the Capital!  :P

Zulu

Kildare will do far better than some of the doom merchants want us to believe. Jesus, we've few enough games worth watching if a big Kildare crowd can't drive the 30 to 60 minute drive to see how their boys get on then I don't know what to say. You've a good developing team so get behind them and see where you end up.

Rossfan

But when you hear of even feckin Laois outnumbering them.......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on June 29, 2017, 11:52:12 PM
Kildare will do far better than some of the doom merchants want us to believe. Jesus, we've few enough games worth watching if a big Kildare crowd can't drive the 30 to 60 minute drive to see how their boys get on then I don't know what to say. You've a good developing team so get behind them and see where you end up.

When you say better - what do you mean?

mup

I used to follow Kildare - including close to 600 mile round trips. I have genuinely lost interest since the financial doping came to light. I'll watch the GAA on TV.

heffo

Quote from: mup on June 30, 2017, 07:56:22 AM
I used to follow Kildare - including close to 600 mile round trips. I have genuinely lost interest since the financial doping came to light. I'll watch the GAA on TV.

Are you talking about the glory years or 2008-2013?

We're all still paying for that bailout when Kildare ran the most expensive setup in the country.

Dinny Breen

Zulu, the Leinster SFC is dead, Dublin fans and their we'd love to travel if only has proven to be BS, the most successful county in the country could barely half-fill O'Moore Park, less than an hour by car or train down the road, what do you say to that?

I rarely miss a Kildare game but I will miss the Leinster Final (France holiday) but for me to bring my family and kids to Tullamore was less than €50, this goes up by €30, in Tullamore they can bring a ball, have a kick around, play on the pitch, meet the players, have fun!!! A fantastic family day less that an hour away for €50, now you compare that to the CP experience, you pay more for tickets, for food, for worse seats, can't have a kick around, can't get to meet the players can't bring a back pack in, after the whole day you are a €150 less off and you watch Kildare lose (that is what every pudit will tell us between now and July 16th).

So why would the casual fan travel, Wexford fans are traveling because they believe they have a chance, everyone is telling them they have a chance, hurling is different it's romantic, it's beautiful, it's positive. We've had a really good football championship this year so far really good we should have all been talking about Down/Monaghan, a proper game with border line physicality, great scores, great atmosphere, bodies on the line, instead we're talking about Connolly's good name, a "B" Championship, Pat "fuckin" Spillane and Dessie "Jesus" Dolan. 

The GAA and their insane development policies have killed Leinster, what has this development money really done for the GAA apart from make a strong Dublin stronger, has it increased participation rates? Has it increased the number of clubs in Dublin? Has it reduced the adult drop-off rate, the GAA is worse than soccer and even rugby? So can anyone tell me what has all this money done for the greater good of the GAA apart from the imbalance that we currently witness. I would love to see concrete evidence, not anecdotal proper ERSI, Irish Census analysis.

#newbridgeornowhere

mup

Quote from: heffo on June 30, 2017, 08:37:09 AM

We're all still paying for that bailout when Kildare ran the most expensive setup in the country.

Less of your condescending bs. You spent a long time in the doldrums yourself. Football was around before 2011.

Have you any link regarding Kildare having the most expensive set up?

Dire Ear

Brilliant post Dinny Breen,  good luck v Dubs, go hell for leather!!

mayoaremagic

Kildare should just give it a rattle sunday week. I think ye can bate the Dubs. Ye've 4/5 lads that gave up professional sport on the panel and young players who have history of beating Dublin underage so time for them to step up.

mayoaremagic

Throw in they won Leinster in 1998/2000 with Brian Murphy, Brian Lacey and Karl O'Dywer all imported in with the legendary Mick O'Dwyer

mup

Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 30, 2017, 12:38:32 PM

Throw in they won Leinster in 1998/2000 with Brian Murphy, Brian Lacey and Karl O'Dywer all imported in with the legendary Mick O'Dwyer

How is that relevant?

Heffo has made assertions about Kildare being the most expensive set up. I asked him to send me a link to prove same. Surprise surprise he doesn't respond. Why? Because its not true. No matter what his colleagues in the DCB tell him.

mayoaremagic

Quote from: mup on June 30, 2017, 12:53:39 PM

How is that relevant?

Heffo has made assertions about Kildare being the most expensive set up. I asked him to send me a link to prove same. Surprise surprise he doesn't respond. Why? Because its not true. No matter what his colleagues in the DCB tell him.

Paul Grimley, John Rafferty, Aidan O'Rourke, Jason Ryan, Niall Carew wouldnt have been cheap in backroom. I believe was getting 250k per annum in the nineties. In fairness he delivered

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 30, 2017, 09:40:26 AM

Zulu, the Leinster SFC is dead, Dublin fans and their we'd love to travel if only has proven to be BS, the most successful county in the country could barely half-fill O'Moore Park, less than an hour by car or train down the road, what do you say to that?

I rarely miss a Kildare game but I will miss the Leinster Final (France holiday) but for me to bring my family and kids to Tullamore was less than €50, this goes up by €30, in Tullamore they can bring a ball, have a kick around, play on the pitch, meet the players, have fun!!! A fantastic family day less that an hour away for €50, now you compare that to the CP experience, you pay more for tickets, for food, for worse seats, can't have a kick around, can't get to meet the players can't bring a back pack in, after the whole day you are a €150 less off and you watch Kildare lose (that is what every pudit will tell us between now and July 16th).

So why would the casual fan travel, Wexford fans are traveling because they believe they have a chance, everyone is telling them they have a chance, hurling is different it's romantic, it's beautiful, it's positive. We've had a really good football championship this year so far really good we should have all been talking about Down/Monaghan, a proper game with border line physicality, great scores, great atmosphere, bodies on the line, instead we're talking about Connolly's good name, a "B" Championship, Pat "fuckin" Spillane and Dessie "Jesus" Dolan. 

The GAA and their insane development policies have killed Leinster, what has this development money really done for the GAA apart from make a strong Dublin stronger, has it increased participation rates? Has it increased the number of clubs in Dublin? Has it reduced the adult drop-off rate, the GAA is worse than soccer and even rugby? So can anyone tell me what has all this money done for the greater good of the GAA apart from the imbalance that we currently witness. I would love to see concrete evidence, not anecdotal proper ERSI, Irish Census analysis.

Dinny, if I take your point that it's impossible for Kildare to be as good as Dublin, can I ask a follow up question?

Is it possible for Kildare to be as good as Mayo, Tyrone and Donegal?
And what's the reason for being so far behind those counties for the last 5 years or so (since the extra time defeat to Donegal that time)?
Is that Dublin's fault too?

mup

Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 30, 2017, 02:30:47 PM
Quote from: mup on June 30, 2017, 12:53:39 PM

How is that relevant?

Paul Grimley, John Rafferty, Aidan O'Rourke, Jason Ryan, Niall Carew wouldnt have been cheap in backroom. I believe was getting 250k per annum in the nineties. In fairness he delivered

I believe James Horan was on the same money.