GAA Double Standards

Started by falay, September 21, 2015, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on September 21, 2015, 04:11:16 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 21, 2015, 04:02:27 PM
He has a valid point - the GAA should be looking after and running Masters football and hurling.
+1

And not accepting professional killers into the association either.
as opposed to amateur killers with their own political wing ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Croí na hÉireann

Why don't you go to the GAA and say you will sort out your own insurance if they officially recognise you? It's not a bad idea either to have private health insurance if you're over 40. I realise there will be some people who can't afford private insurance but there are ways and means around that. See if they can contribute half and run fundraisers to subsidise the other half. So not only can they participate in the masters but they also have private health insurance for half the cost.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

screenexile

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 25, 2015, 09:52:03 AM
Why don't you go to the GAA and say you will sort out your own insurance if they officially recognise you? It's not a bad idea either to have private health insurance if you're over 40. I realise there will be some people who can't afford private insurance but there are ways and means around that. See if they can contribute half and run fundraisers to subsidise the other half. So not only can they participate in the masters but they also have private health insurance for half the cost.

That seems to be the issue really that players have to sort out their own insurance. I played a couple of games with our Over 35s at the beginning of the year and was very close to snapping the cruciate again. It cost me over £400 between scans and physio work.

I think there will be a problem with lads like myself who have been riddled with injury towards the end of their career but think  the speed and standard of Masters football mean we have less of a chance of getting injured when really there's a fair chance we will because it's the GAA and we're all competitive and f**k and don't want to give an inch to anybody!!!

Aside from the insurance issue the GAA should definitely be looking into and supporting something that can keep people involved after their playing days are over!!

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: screenexile on September 25, 2015, 11:10:29 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 25, 2015, 09:52:03 AM

That seems to be the issue really that players have to sort out their own insurance. I played a couple of games with our Over 35s at the beginning of the year and was very close to snapping the cruciate again. It cost me over £400 between scans and physio work.

I think there will be a problem with lads like myself who have been riddled with injury towards the end of their career but think  the speed and standard of Masters football mean we have less of a chance of getting injured when really there's a fair chance we will because it's the GAA and we're all competitive and f**k and don't want to give an inch to anybody!!!

Aside from the insurance issue the GAA should definitely be looking into and supporting something that can keep people involved after their playing days are over!!
Does handball not have Masters competitions?

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2015, 03:20:26 AM
He has a valid point - the GAA should be looking after and running Masters football and hurling.
+1

Indeed.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on September 25, 2015, 12:02:18 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 24, 2015, 11:52:41 PM
I would imagine the Irish Guards didn't have the same insurance issues. Sounds to me like your anger is being directed to the wrong place. Work with the insurance companies and get it sorted out. No need to air your dirty laundry in public like this.

The Irish Guards clearly increase the likelihood of some sort of political stuff. There are two unrelated issues being conflated here, but there the OP has no "dirty laundry", it is is a legitimate question.

It's an internal matter for our organization. Going public with this sort of thing is the wrong way to go about it. Work with the higher-ups, address their concerns, work the problem, and get it straightened out.

trueblue1234

Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2015, 03:20:26 AM
+1

Which amateur killer organisation has applied to have a team in the GAA?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit