Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dont Matter

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 08, 2014, 12:12:32 PM
I know I shouldn't respond but this type of talk is just rubbish. Dublin built their teams from underage up and are now reaping the rewards of their WORK. Money (lots of it generated by Dublin) can help if coaching schemes are well organised and the people are there willing to put in the WORK.

I'd be more than confident that if other counties put well organised, costed, plans to the powers that be that they would receive the required funding. Most of us traditionally aren't too fond of the Dubs winning but it's hard to begrudge them, the work that has been put in.

I've gone through this all before. The upturn in success at underage that extends to senior is all down to money. Millions upon millions of euros. Was there no underage work done in Dublin prior to the millions arriving? How come they barely won anything for decades at underage and now they're winning all before them, in football and hurling? It's the money pure and simple.
Someone was talking earlier in the thread about having every championship game at home for 8 years. The Mayo lad said they definitely would have won at least 1 All Ireland through that time. Now imagine your own counties, you have every game at home, you're given unlimited funds to set up coaching structures, millions to spend on your senior teams, can afford Olympic gold medalist and World champion boxers to hang out with your teams, you have access to all the best training facilities in the country with more being built, you get the home town decisions from refs etc etc etc.
With all these advantages where do you think your county would be? Be honest, who wouldn't be challenging for All Irelands? Wouldn't you think it's a bit unfair that you receive all this? Have the Dubs no shame?
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

AZOffaly

Serious question (which I know is pointless) but is anyone saying the money *hasn't* helped? What I see being said many times is that yes, investment was made, but it was taken advantage of because Dublin had a plan, and had the wit and wherewithal to put the plan in motion.

Other counties without a clear cogent plan like that seem to squander money on either grandiose but ultimately limited value developments, or on 'expenses' related to preparing senior teams.

Dont Matter

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2014, 12:19:31 PM
And if some counties spent the money they were getting from Croker on Development work and coaching, instead of building 300,000 seater stadiums in Ballymacroundabout, maybe that would help as well.

Was the money that was spent on Croke Park just so 1 team could use it as their home ground and others go there when they have the 'honour' of taking on the Dubs or getting to the latter stages of National competitions?
Peter Quinn

ballinaman

Quote from: J OGorman on April 08, 2014, 09:15:52 AM
Hard to beat beating playing the Dubs in Croke Park ;-)

Agreed. Let them play in Croker all they want....

Dont Matter

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2014, 12:30:08 PM
Serious question (which I know is pointless) but is anyone saying the money *hasn't* helped? What I see being said many times is that yes, investment was made, but it was taken advantage of because Dublin had a plan, and had the wit and wherewithal to put the plan in motion.

Other counties without a clear cogent plan like that seem to squander money on either grandiose but ultimately limited value developments, or on 'expenses' related to preparing senior teams.

You can't compare any money wasted or otherwise in other counties to that received by the Dubs. It's pittance when put side by side. The truth is every single county in Ireland would be challenging for All Irelands if they received the financial support along with other advantages Dublin have received. No one can dispute this.
Peter Quinn

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 08, 2014, 12:31:23 PM
And if some counties spent the money they were getting from Croker on Development work and coaching, instead of building 300,000 seater stadiums in Ballymacroundabout, maybe that would help as well.

Was the money that was spent on Croke Park just so 1 team could use it as their home ground and others go there when they have the 'honour' of taking on the Dubs or getting to the latter stages of National competitions?

No, and I agree that the Dubs should play some of their games out of Croke Park. I'm a big believer that Croke Park should only be used occasionally for double or triple headers, or else for provincial finals, and All Ireland series matches. There's no reason why Dublin can't play in Portlaoise, Tullamore, Navan or anywhere else. 30k in Portlaoise is way better than 30k in Croke Park.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 08, 2014, 12:35:02 PM

You can't compare any money wasted or otherwise in other counties to that received by the Dubs. It's pittance when put side by side. The truth is every single county in Ireland would be challenging for All Irelands if they received the financial support along with other advantages Dublin have received. No one can dispute this.

That's true. But if you can't trust a county to spend €100k properly, how can you trust them to spend €1m?

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2014, 12:35:17 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on April 08, 2014, 12:31:23 PM

No, and I agree that the Dubs should play some of their games out of Croke Park. I'm a big believer that Croke Park should only be used occasionally for double or triple headers, or else for provincial finals, and All Ireland series matches. There's no reason why Dublin can't play in Portlaoise, Tullamore, Navan or anywhere else. 30k in Portlaoise is way better than 30k in Croke Park.

Dublin were more than happy to go to Portlaoise last Wednesday night. Not a problem.

AZOffaly

Dont Matter

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2014, 12:36:33 PM

That's true. But if you can't trust a county to spend €100k properly, how can you trust them to spend €1m?

No other county would get the chance, this plan went through as it was mutually beneficial to the Dubs and HQ. How are other counties meant to compete with this? Look at Offaly, 10 years ago how much would they have beatan Dublin by in hurling? Now what would happen? It's a crazy situation that can't be reversed unless drastic measures are taken.
Peter Quinn

johnneycool

Antrim hurlers, club and county have availed of this benefit in Ulster championships for years, so why the big deal now?

Dont Matter

Quote from: johnneycool on April 08, 2014, 12:46:48 PM
Antrim hurlers, club and county have availed of this benefit in Ulster championships for years, so why the big deal now?

You have no shame.
Peter Quinn

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 08, 2014, 12:45:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2014, 12:36:33 PM

No other county would get the chance, this plan went through as it was mutually beneficial to the Dubs and HQ. How are other counties meant to compete with this? Look at Offaly, 10 years ago how much would they have beatan Dublin by in hurling? Now what would happen? It's a crazy situation that can't be reversed unless drastic measures are taken.

Offaly have underperformed at underage level for several years, and this is now coming home to roost. The money Dublin have received and invested wisely is irrelevant in terms of the state of Offaly hurling. If Offaly went with a plan and a request for funds from Croke Park, I'd hope they'd get investment too.

Dont Matter

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2014, 12:51:26 PM
Offaly have underperformed at underage level for several years, and this is now coming home to roost. The money Dublin have received and invested wisely is irrelevant in terms of the state of Offaly hurling. If Offaly went with a plan and a request for funds from Croke Park, I'd hope they'd get investment too.

Other counties did go with plans and got kicked out the door. I'm sure even Offaly would have done something with 7 million.
Peter Quinn

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 08, 2014, 12:55:04 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2014, 12:51:26 PM

Other counties did go with plans and got kicked out the door. I'm sure even Offaly would have done something with 7 million.

Yeah, we could have build a 45,000 seater stadium in Tullamore. what other counties went with proper, costed coaching plans, and got kicked back?