The untapped global potential of Gaelic games

Started by Eamonnca1, February 27, 2014, 06:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

The rest of my answer was...

It was okay for the British to export their sports to the rest of the world, why is it not okay for us to do the same with ours?  We're renowned worldwide for our music, song, dance, literature, and our ability to drink, but our sports are unheard of. Even tourists that come to Ireland can go through a whole visit without being exposed to Gaelic games. It's almost like we're ashamed of them.  Why?

But by all means, buy the book!  Should be available within 24 hours.

sligoman2

Living in New York there is a lot of progress being made at the underage level. 

There is a gaa coach/promoter here and he is doing a good job.  It's not a hard sell once the kids get on the field, 90% of them love it.

Good luck with the book, will it be available on apple?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ONeill

I'm not that well travelled but in France, Spain, England, Cyprus, Portygal etc I wasn't exposed to any sport unless I went looking for it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eamonnca1

Kindle, or any device with the (free) Kindle Reader app installed. So you will be able to read it on iPhone/iPad/Mac/Android etc..

Hardy

Congratulations of the book, Eamonnca1. I admire your initiative. You're a great evangelist for the spread of the games internationally and you put your effort where your mouth is, so to speak. Your introductory videos on hurling and football are the best I've seen and miles ahead of anything the GAA has attempted.

I, too, am ambivalent about the globalisation of the games, though. I mean the desirability of it, apart from the possibility. I know it may seem an insular and old-fashioned view at first consideration (or even at twenty-first) but when all is said and done, what would be the benefit of it? That's a genuine question and if it really is a worthwhile enterprise, it shouldn't be difficult to articulate the case for it.

My biggest fear is that internationalisation, if that's a word, could ruin the games. I have a nightmare vision of global marketing conglomerates taking control and bastardising the games beyond recognition. How would we possibly resist this, if they really did take off globally? It's impossible to imagine the GAA in Ireland remaining as the keeper of the soul of the games in tha situation.

It's an interesting subject for debate and I'm open to convincing.

Zulu

Quote from: ONeill on February 27, 2014, 10:13:04 PM
I'm not that well travelled but in France, Spain, England, Cyprus, Portygal etc I wasn't exposed to any sport unless I went looking for it.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here. I also don't understand your question why do we want to spread the games. If there was a town, or part of a city in Ireland where the GAA was not played I would like to see that change, likewise, now that I live abroad I want to see GAA played here by locals, not just Irish immigrants. I would love to see the GAA here in Britain as strong as it is in Ireland and there is no reason that can't be the case. It would take time of course but work on the ground and greater exposure on national TV would help.

As Eamonn pointed out, soccer took a long time make serious inroads in American and the NFL made attempts to break Europe before but it seems to have a surer footing with a TV audience now. The GAA could definitely make inroads if there was a coordinated plan in place and an idea of an end goal.

AZOffaly

It is an interesting topic alright. Encouraging others to play/enjoy/understand our games I mean. I suppose there are 3 main questions.

1 why? As O'Neill asked. Why bother trying to spread the gospel outside the Irish gene pool so to speak. What's in it for us?

2 have we a good "product"?

If you can answer 1 and 2 positively, then I suppose you are into delivery models. The "how".

For me the answer to 1 is the same as why we spread our other cultural aspects. Why do we promote our music and dance? Why not is a glib answer, but for me I think it's about trying to introduce something to people that I genuinely think they would enjoy. Why do we have movie recommendations, or pass on tips on things to see in Rome. It's human nature to try and share good experiences with others to both reinforce your opinion of it being good, but also to spread the joy. That would be my take on it. Of course the more that play the GAA, or become fans, the greater the market for the GAA to make a few bob on products, advertising and media.

The answer to number 2 is interesting, and we are probably not the best placed to answer it. Do we love GAA for the parochial element to it, or do we really love the games themselves? I love the games, but when I hear some of our analysts on TV etc, you'd have to wonder. Aesthetically, how do our games compare to rugby, soccer, nfl or other games with worldwide appeal? I believe they are at least on a par, but I'm not objective.

Zulu

Quote from: Hardy on February 27, 2014, 10:22:33 PM
Congratulations of the book, Eamonnca1. I admire your initiative. You're a great evangelist for the spread of the games internationally and you put your effort where your mouth is, so to speak. Your introductory videos on hurling and football are the best I've seen and miles ahead of anything the GAA has attempted.

I, too, am ambivalent about the globalisation of the games, though. I mean the desirability of it, apart from the possibility. I know it may seem an insular and old-fashioned view at first consideration (or even at twenty-first) but when all is said and done, what would be the benefit of it? That's a genuine question and if it really is a worthwhile enterprise, it shouldn't be difficult to articulate the case for it.

My biggest fear is that internationalisation, if that's a word, could ruin the games. I have a nightmare vision of global marketing conglomerates taking control and bastardising the games beyond recognition. How would we possibly resist this, if they really did take off globally? It's impossible to imagine the GAA in Ireland remaining as the keeper of the soul of the games in tha situation.

It's an interesting subject for debate and I'm open to convincing.

But soccer or rugby on this island have their own Irish feel (I think). I don't think the GAA would necessarily turn into an American version of itself and I would suggest it would be over a hundreds years before that would become a possibility. Besides, if the GAA took off in America or Europe and was a professional sport I don't see a huge impact on the GAA at home. I don't see any real issue to expanding the GAA and I would certainly not hinder it due to any fear of what it might become.

ONeill

I don't think we purposely went out to 'spread our cultural aspects' AZ. There was an appeal/market....and even at that do many non-Irish play the pipes or do the Waves of Tory....or listen/watch even with any level of regularity. Riverdance managed it (I think...I've never spoken to anyone of non-Irish descent about seeing it) I suppose. Dubliners?

I have no doubt our games would have been tapped into long ago if it had international appeal.

AZOffaly

Ah we do. Ads for music and dance are far more prevalent at airports and all. It's a central tenet of the tourism industry. 

ONeill

Well, we advertise castles, alcohol and rocks too. That's the same in every country.

AZOffaly

So I suppose you are answering no to #2 then?

ONeill

Sharks would have descended a long time ago. The odd one maybe did (Sky..Channel 4) but found out it was a non-runner. Abramovich/Virgin man not knocking on the door.

Guinness - do many non-Irish really drink it? I mean....really...

ONeill

Are there any area/parishes in Ireland where GAA is on the wane i.e. barely able to put out a senior side any more in any code, and not just because of employment elsewhere but through apathy?

macdanger2