Tyrone v Mayo - 9th Feb in Omagh - Deferred coverage on TG4

Started by Fuzzman, February 03, 2014, 01:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Would a few of last years Mayo Minor team come into the reckoning after the U-21 campaign is  over? A few classy forwards in that side like Doherty and Conroy, full of confidence. But still a big step up from Minor to Senior in one year, but worth a shot if they perform well with the u21s

moysider

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 11, 2014, 04:47:42 PM
Would a few of last years Mayo Minor team come into the reckoning after the U-21 campaign is  over? A few classy forwards in that side like Doherty and Conroy, full of confidence. But still a big step up from Minor to Senior in one year, but worth a shot if they perform well with the u21s
Too soon for them imo. But we may well get something out of the U21 campaign.
I can see Zulu s point about forwards an all but come summer if we get injured players back we will have options. Personally I think we ve kicked too much ball into the ff line fairly aimlessly last 2 finals. We should be running the ball. I select on the basis of gaining primary possession and keeping it. We should play to our strengths, one of which is pace. When we ran at teams last year we got scores from a spread of players.

Syferus

None of that minor forward line is likely to start at U21 this year, let alone at senior.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2014, 06:00:04 PM

None of that minor forward line is likely to start at U21 this year, let alone at senior.

Must be some team then, Adam Gallagher and Regan, who are the other marquee forwards in the line - up?

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 11, 2014, 06:03:27 PM

Must be some team then, Adam Gallagher and Regan, who are the other marquee forwards in the line - up?

Conor O'Shea will be there if he's fit. Curious at least one of the minor full-forwards wasn't featuring in the Hastings. We'll give those minor ladeens the time to concentrate on senior after March 11th.

red hander

One for the Mayo boys. Whatever happened to that lad Ronaldson (think that was his name)? Remember him couple of years ago in Omagh and he caused our backs a bit of bother.

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2014, 06:25:51 PM

Conor O'Shea will be there if he's fit. Curious at least one of the minor full-forwards wasn't featuring in the Hastings. We'll give those minor ladeens the time to concentrate on senior after March 11th.

Ahh that's it buck,Rossies celebrating the night before they play Mayo as they seldom get the chance the night after.Yer c**k fuckin sure ye have us in this one, Castlebar will never be handy for your lot,that much i guarantee you.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2014, 06:25:51 PM

Corner forward on the U-21 winning team of 2006 (ahead of Enda Varley) and played senior for a few years. A good player but seemed surplus to requirements of the current set up.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Tommy 'goals' Conroy was busy with his club Kiltaine and now should join up with U21s. I read it elsewhere that Doherty was injured. Shaughnessy,Jordan who played in hastings cup are two likely starting forwards.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on February 11, 2014, 02:50:57 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 11, 2014, 02:12:34 PM
I had expected Horan and the team to take the league seriously this year and go flat out to win it, same as Gavin and the Dubs last year.
The win set them up nicely for the championships and the rest, as we say, is history.
Coming off the back of two AI final defeats, Mayo badly need a good morale booster to overcome the feelings of self-doubt and indecisiveness that must be affecting them now. Right now, there's a real possibility of relegation and that would knock our hopes of winning Sam for years to come. You can only go to the well for water so many times...
I know its only February and we've a long list of injuries. Many of those we've seen in the first two league games won't be in the reckoning when the championships begin and so on and so forth.
But Kildare and Tyrone are hardly at full strength either and the same goes for Kerry and the Dubs and just about every other team in the land. From what I've seen so far, Adam Gallagher is the only newcomer who seems likely to make it onto the championship side. The same also goes for those who've been on the fringe.
With so many of last year's regulars missing, I'd thought their replacements would fight like mad to force their way onto the championship side. This doesn't seem to be happening. Sure, many of them will improve as the league goes on but right now, Adam seems the only one likely to strengthen the panel in the summertime.
I think Zulu has been right all along when he says that we don't have the forwards to win an AI and I don't blame Horan for all of this. He can only work with what he's got and his options are limited.
If I had to name the top twenty forwards I've seen in recent years, only Andy and Cillian would be on the list and neither is likely to be fully fit when the championships come around. Mayo got half the All Star awards for the backs and not a single one for the forwards. That tells its own tale.

I'm not a pessimist by nature but when I try to look into the future, I don't like what I see.

I don't think Mayo could realistically have gone all out for a league title. For a few reasons.
This panel has already had 3 longish years where incremental progress was made. The priority is to get it right in summer. A sustained slog from Feburary would be difficult. Castlebar s run and the catalogue of injuries also made a league shot highly unlikely. This is division one and few counties have unlimited numbers of players who can perform at this level, let alone go on and win it. Open to contradiction but I reckon Dublin had their championship team, or close to it, for most of the league last year. If we survive in Div one and Adam G continues his form it will be alright under the circumstances. We were never going to find much more anyway. If Pardons recovers and lives up to his ability it will also be an addition. My worry is that our Summer form might level off whereas in fact we need to push and find another 10%.
Ah now lads still 5 league games to be played & Mayo have 3 at home plus Westmeath away that Mayo will be expected to win. 6,7 points was enough for Mayo to reach the semi finals the last two years & for a team that reached back to back All Ireland finals that shouldn't be a problem to achieve?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Mayo haven't the best home record in the league though. I just want to point that out. It should count as something but over the years, the conundrum of winning all our home matches hasn't happened. Maybe this year we will breeze through them all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tyroneman

Quote from: Wee Roddy on February 11, 2014, 08:26:29 AM
Quote from: God14 on February 10, 2014, 03:34:09 PM
Quote from: Wee Roddy on February 10, 2014, 03:22:25 PM
Conor Gormley to me would be the natural centre half back for Tyrone. He can hold the centre, is a big physical presence and his distribution is top drawer.

Yeah id agree with that. Id like to see Conor at 6 & Pete Harte switched to 7.

Any word about Carrickmore Roddy when he is likely to be back? Read somewhere a while back that his wife was due to give birth to twins in Feb? I noticed at the Derry match nearly all the injured players were present (even longer term injured players like AIdan Cass) - but no sign of SON or Conor... Maybe I read too much into these things!
His wife had twins last week so he has three children under 3. He was at club training last Sunday Morning I believe but I don't think him or indeed Penrose have been back at collective county training yet.
I like the look of a half back line of McGinley Conor and Harte but we will concede scores.

SoN was in the stand watching the Derry game

macdanger2

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 11, 2014, 02:15:45 PM
As usual ye Mayo lads have taken over this thread and with 2 more weeks to the next game ye'll probably stay on here for another 5-10 pages.

Oi, get off our thread!!!

It's early days yet to be getting too worried, one or two new starters plus a fit / in-form Andy, CO'C, Dillon, B Moran would have us pretty close

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: red hander on February 11, 2014, 07:02:23 PM
One for the Mayo boys. Whatever happened to that lad Ronaldson (think that was his name)? Remember him couple of years ago in Omagh and he caused our backs a bit of bother.

I was at that game. Ronaldson played great, and stood his ground well. By which I mean, if someone threw a slap, Ronaldson made a point of slapping back, which is as it should be. Some people thought him a bit on the small side but I always liked the cut of him.

BennyHarp

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 11, 2014, 09:42:39 PM
Quote from: red hander on February 11, 2014, 07:02:23 PM

I was at that game. Ronaldson played great, and stood his ground well. By which I mean, if someone threw a slap, Ronaldson made a point of slapping back, which is as it should be. Some people thought him a bit on the small side but I always liked the cut of him.

Was this the day Conor Mortimer scored 3 goals and killed Tyrone? Whatever happened to him?
That was never a square ball!!