Neighbourly love

Started by AZOffaly, September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

I don't hate Tyrone as much as I used to, but still wouldn't really support them. Although I was sort of supporting their minors yesterday, but thats the minors. I would shout for the rest of Ulster though.

Having said that, I would support Tyrone against Dublin, and have done in the past. I hate those Dubs with a passion.

laoislad

Would have no problem shouting for Offaly or Kildare depending on who they were playing.
I know there is suppose to be a rivalry between Laois and Offaly but as I'm from the posh end of Laois this never really mattered to me.

Kilkenny is nearest county to me and I would never cheer for them ever. Hate the bastards.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rossfan on September 23, 2013, 03:38:33 PM
Ye know my county.
Neighbours - Galway - NO except v Kerry or Dublin
Mayowestros - as per Galway
Sligo - yes except v Laythrum
Laythrum - Yes ( although it is NOT EVER reciprocated)
Longford - Yes - although that "Little Mayo" sh1te they were at last week might make me change
Westmeath - yes except v Sligo/Laythrum or Longford
Offaly - as per Westmeath.

What is this 'Little Mayo' stuff that I have missed?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

About the only team I don't think I've ever had cause to support are the Meath footballers.

AZOffaly

Jaysus deiseach, surprised at that. Kilkenny?

Croí na hÉireann

Don't mind Offaly or Roscommon going well, no agro with Cavan whatsoever even though we share a border.
That shower over in the East? Not on your nelly.
Longford, they're like that annoying cousin you rarely see. The odd time you do hear from them you just grin and bear it knowing it'll all be over soon.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2013, 04:42:28 PM
Jaysus deiseach, surprised at that. Kilkenny?

You would be surprised. The way I see it, our neighbours are operating in a different reality to us. That's not to say I haven't had steam coming out of my ears after yet another cruel defeat, and if you look hard enough I'm sure I've said some injudicious things over the years. But instances of cruel defeats are far enough apart to prevent me getting too bitter. The rest of the time, they're here-we-go-again defeats.

ross4life

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 23, 2013, 04:32:14 PM
Ye know my county.
Longford - Yes - although that "Little Mayo" sh1te they were at last week might make me change

What is this 'Little Mayo' stuff that I have missed?

How could you miss this?

http://balls.ie/gaa/longford-town-becomes-little-mayo-ireland-final/
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Shamrock Shore

Good man Croí - would not expect the love to flow back either.

Oh fcuk - did not know about that 'Little Mayo' crap on balls.ie

Nothing to do with us Rossie and I am as embarrassed as you are.

Syferus

Ye know my county.

Why do the Lovelies hate us so?

Lone Shark

From Offaly, as most of ye know, so we've plenty of borders. Westmeath is the main "rival" in the same way that Kilkenny and Carlow share a hurling rivaly, though as I'm now living in Roscommon with Roscommon inlaws, that Offaly/Ros thing is fairly keenly felt at the moment.

Kildare I try to be open minded to their approach, but jaysus they make it tough. It's a little frustrating to see them spending the kind of money Offaly can only dream of on teams, then getting bailed out by the GAA at the end of it all, but ultimately I'd be happy to see them make a meaningful breakthrough.

Laois This one's tougher. In theory we've more in common with them than any other county, but I've found it an awful lot tougher to get on with them at games - once you're identified as an Offaly native, it seems to engage a default "hostility" setting in quite a few of them. I'd love to see them make a meaningful hurling breakthrough, though I'll probably regret saying that as I'd be pretty sure it will come at our expense when it does happen.

Tipperary Another province, another world. No. I can't think of a single hurling county that I'd like to see Tipperary beat.

Galway No strong feelings for or against them.

Roscommon They've some fierce passionate GAA people and I am married into the community now so they would be my second county - I'd pretty much like to see them beat anyone bar Offaly. However it can be a little grating when they don't appreciate how much of a head start it is to start in Connacht. That provincial title a few years ago had an awful lot of sunshine supporters going on about how great they were, when they beat feck all to win it. Yes they've had some good minor teams too, but it's a big help when you're in a province where quite regularly you've to do feck all, or at most win one game, to reach the last eight.

Meath I'd have lots of respect for their tradition and generally I like the way they play ball. Largely speaking I'd be a supporter of the Royals, though there's not much border there so the rivalry isn't as strong as with some others. That said, I wish they'd pull Ballinabrackey into line and recognise Clonmore Harps' right to exist. For a county that appreciates the GAA and the traditions that makes it great, BB's approach there is quite shameful.

Westmeath Again I've got to know a lot of people involved in Westmeath GAA and on an individual level, they are grand people. But no - could not ever bring myself to suppot them. We've all heard the expression "delusions of grandeur", then there's the Westmeath version - "delusions of adequacy". That's going to come back and bite them now after they traded Pat Flanagan in for Paul Bealin. 

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2013, 05:04:48 PM
Ye know my county.

Why do the Lovelies hate us so?
Just pure jealousy I suppose.
Also they beat Sligo more often than us and we're their only other Connacht neighbours.
I'll never forget the drawn game in Carrick 2004 when it looked like they might win at one stage in the second half.
There was one Laythrum Co Board man behind one of the goals doing a war dance while most of their fans were foaming at the mouth with pure unadulterated excitement. One lunatic beside me kept roaring "MC GOVERN" at their Co Board Chairman till he looked up and then they both started punching the air.
As for that day in 1994 - Stone mad altogether.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Club Rossa

Tyrone is surrounded by 5 counties,Derry,Donegal,Fermanagh,Monaghan and Armagh.
I would back Monaghan,Fermanagh and Donegal in a final.Don't dislike Armagh as much as I used to.Their fans were great in 2003 when we beat them,very gracious so depending on who they were playing I might support them.
As for Derry,I love to see them hammered every day they go out.

Rossfan

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 23, 2013, 05:04:17 PM

Oh fcuk - did not know about that 'Little Mayo' crap on balls.ie

Nothing to do with us Rossie and I am as embarrassed as you are.
Sad to see a proud County lowering itself like that. >:(
Sure ye might let us bate ye in th'oul League to make up for it? :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

My county is Armagh and I was brought up literally a stones throw from the border with county Down. In fact, I used to paddle in the county drain (as it is known) looking for newts and spricklebacks (spelling?)

I would like to see Down win again and would certainly cheer them on. That goes for every other county in Ulster, except for Tyrone for some inexplicable reason.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians