Tyrone v Mayo NFL

Started by Redgreenery, April 02, 2007, 12:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

QuoteJohnno has said that some of the players who haven't seen much action will be playing against Tyrone on Sunday, and he won't risk anyone with a slight injury.

QuoteWell if JOM is resting key players the starting lineout is probably going to be totally different to the team that started against Dublin

Was the prupose of the 2nd comment, as a reply to the first, to help out those of us who couldn't figure that one out oursleves  ???   Or did i miss something ?

ClosetotheHarte

Because of injury, suspension, form, experimentation, etc... it's impossible to be sure about the Tyrone 15 for Sunday, our last game before the Championship (I think that means a 7-week gap?)
Tyrone are far from settled at the minute with a lot of positions still undecided. Some of the positives from the League are Mulgrew (has developed a lot from last year), Niall Gormley (good show in last couple of games and we're short on natural corner men), Justin McMahon (looking better every outing) and D McCaul (I think he's nearly ready and will be a good one). Colm Cavanagh has also looked good at times.
Mellon and Penrose have improved a bit, Joe McMahon and Dooher are back and Davy has been as steady as ever, probably our most consistent player again this year.
Conor, Ricey and Enda haven't been at their best but have done fine and can be relied on come the Championship.

Concerns - the McGuigan and Cavanagh injuries are a worry, how far is Jordan away, and will O'Neill and Hub find their best form for the Championship? Plus there's been uncertainty around Mugsy (has played well at times but what has been happening with him?) and Cavlan. I'd also have liked to see more of Rouse, Tommy McGuigan and a few others in the League.

Hope we get the win we need on Sunday and that the break will do everybody more good than harm.
Picking the 15 for the Championship is a very difficult one at this stage!

realredhandfan

I dont think anyone could argue with any of that.

Redgreenery

Quote from: Redgreenery on April 03, 2007, 10:31:00 AM
On the mayo front it wouldnt surprise me if the only changes is the keeper K O Malley as he dislocated his thumb, to be replaced by D Clarke and mabye K O Neill would be named as starting too.
Quote from: blast05 on April 03, 2007, 11:35:30 AM
QuoteJohnno has said that some of the players who haven't seen much action will be playing against Tyrone on Sunday, and he won't risk anyone with a slight injury.

QuoteWell if JOM is resting key players the starting lineout is probably going to be totally different to the team that started against Dublin

Was the prupose of the 2nd comment, as a reply to the first, to help out those of us who couldn't figure that one out oursleves  ???   Or did i miss something ?
In the first post I stated that there may well be only 2 changes to the starting team, not really thinking JOM would be giving other players a starting position at the time so in the second post I just said well if he is using it as a match to start some other players he would actually be making alot more changes than the 2 I had said. Sorry if I failed to make this clear!!

tyroneman

Jaysus lads there seems to be a fierce lack of interest in this game. I know club football is back on again but spare a post for the aul county team  ;)

you would think that Mayo hagving the better of us over the last few years and the fact that if we win we stay in Div 1 should be plenty motivation for the lads but this year you just get the feeling something (hunger, whatever ) isn't quite there at present.

Having said that, better to get yr bad games out of the way now rather than at the business end of the summer.

And to be honest - I'd rhave ather faced a Fermanagh team that had won a few games by May rather than one with a point to prove.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Agreed tyroneman, though I had my arse kickt for even suggesting that there should be a separate county thread!  ;)

Big game for us indeed, looking forward to the team announcement, and looking even more forward to seeing who's actually playing  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Looking forward to the Mayo game on Sunday myelf.
First time to see them since the Dublin game in Croker where they were terrible in 1st half and very good in the 2nd.

Would like to see yer man Rouse get a run as have yet to see him and also wanna see young Gormley.
How long did McCullagh get? What did he do anyway? Lash out with a fist was it?

Any more news on Calvo? Is he just be rested or did he miss training sessions too like Mugsy.
Hope we dont get any more sendings off.

Hope the weather keeps up and we get back to basics and give us something to look forward to in May.

Is Gourley injured again? Who else is out?

Mr. Nakata

Likewise, I'm looking forward to this one. Hopefully we can get one over Mayo for a change. With a 6 week break between our last leauge game and Fermanagh, I'd like to see a championship team put out to play on Sunday afternoon. Hopefully, any injuries sustained in Tralee were not too serious and all men down with the flu are fit to play. I expect Carlin and O'Neill to be back in the mix and the Hub should get a chance to see if he can impress in the middle. Can Jordan start in the championship without any competitive action to get his sharpness up? Unlikely. Unless of course he gets 3 or 4 games in for the Moy. Team selection tonight will be interesting indeed.

uselessfootballer

Also looking forward to the game, developed a big soft spot for Mayo people after the way they treated us in the game immediately after Cormac's death in 2004.

The game is of great significance more so for next year rather than this one. After the intensity of the performance in the 1st half against Kerry would be hopeful that a wee bit of further improvement would see a victory on Sunday.

With the position re injuries unknown it's near impossible to predict the line out but I hope for the following:

Joey Mc to be selected at and play at FB (This must be his championship poisition)
Ryan Mellon to remain in midfield, if possible partnering Kevin Hughes (please god not Peter Donnelly
Stevie and Mugsy both to start (both need matches to play themselves into form)
Niall Gormley to start, his recent form must be respected, beginning to look like a championship starter.

Redgreenery

From gaa.ie:

Omagh 3.30pm: Tyrone v Mayo

Tyrone need to win to be sure of avoiding a berth in Division 2 next year, while the Westerners, who have already qualified for the semi-finals, have a chance of finishing top of Division 1A.

With Donegal and Mayo guaranteed Division 1 status under the restructured league format next year, it's between Tyrone (7 points), Kerry (7) and Dublin (6) for the remaining two top-flight places. Kerry meet the Dubs at Parnell Park, while Tyrone host Mayo at Healy Park, and score updates will surely be frequent between the grounds.

There are a number of permutations - a Tyrone win sees them remain in Division 1 irrelevant of what happens in Dublin. Tyrone and Dublin defeats would also see the Red Hands in the top flight next year, while a Tyrone defeat and Dublin win or draw would see the latter safely in Division 1.

VERDICT: Mayo.

ziggysego

Although Tyrone showed improvements against Kerry last weekend, I'm afraid to say I think Mayo are going to win this game. They always seem to get the upper hand over Tyrone and with the difficulties we're experiencing in recent time, Mayo are sure to capitalise on it.

That said, Come On Tyrone!
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

I'm with Paddy Power on this one:

Tyrone v Mayo                    8 - 15              7 - 1              15 - 8   ;)

ziggysego

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 05, 2007, 08:02:05 PM
I'm with Paddy Power on this one:

Tyrone v Mayo                    8 - 15              7 - 1              15 - 8   ;)

I'm an idiot, I can't read bookies forms :(
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Sorry Ziggy (shouldn't have assumed):

Home Win            Draw            Away Win
Tyrone v Mayo                    8 - 15              7 - 1              15 - 8

So we're slight favourites.

tyroneman

From BBC website:

Tyrone boss Mickey Harte has made two changes to his side for Sunday's NFL Divsion 1A match against Mayo at Omagh.
Dermot Carlin, who missed the drawn game with Kerry because of flu, returns to the defence, replacing Ciaran Gourley in the left corner.

Colm McCullagh is suspended after being sent-off in the closing stages of last weekend's game in Tralee and his place goes to Colm Cavanagh.

Stephen O'Neill is available again after flu but is named on the bench.

Tyrone: P McConnell, R McMenamin, P Donnelly, D Carlin, D Harte, C Gormley, Justin McMahon, Joe McMahon, R Mellon, B Dooher, M Penrose, R Mulgrew, N Gormley, C Cavanagh, O Mulligan.

This prob bears no resemblance to the line up that will take the field...................

O'Neill coming off the bench is always a nice option to have, although I think MH maybe should have considered SON and Hub for starting roles to get them back inot the swing of things.