Tyrone v Mayo NFL

Started by Redgreenery, April 02, 2007, 12:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgreenery

Game scheduled for Sunday in Omagh at 15:30pm.
Must win game for Tyrone if they are to stay in Division 1 next year while Mayo are now through to the semis this year with one game to spare after beating Dublin.
Will be an interesting game and will expect it to be tight. It's an away game for Mayo which are never easy and I'd expect Tyrone to be really hungry for the win to stay in Div 1.
Yet at this point in time I'd expect a close encounter but a Mayo win.

Tubberman

I heard an interview with Johnno on Mid-West yesterday evening and he said he'll be using the Tyrone game to give some playing time to players who haven't featured too much yet.
So with that in mind, and the fact that the game is crucial for Tyrone, I'd go for a narrow Tyrone win.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

phpearse

...and the game is on Sunday...as was dictated by the Church!!!

ONeill

Forget Donegal, the most impressive side in terms of squad quality has been Mayo. However, the gas should be off the pedal in their camp somewhat and we owe them for that draw in their patch last year. What's the story with Trevor Mortimer?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tubberman

Trevor Mort broke a bone in his foot and will be out for another couple of weeks yet. He won't be playing in Omagh anyway as far as I know.
The squad is coping well with all the injuries, but there's still a lot of improving to do. I was impressed with the defensive workrate of the forwards in the second half - they put in a lot of challenges and didn't let Dublin work it out of defense easily.

Redgreenery

Quote from: Tubberman on April 02, 2007, 08:33:48 AM
I heard an interview with Johnno on Mid-West yesterday evening and he said he'll be using the Tyrone game to give some playing time to players who haven't featured too much yet.
So with that in mind, and the fact that the game is crucial for Tyrone, I'd go for a narrow Tyrone win.
I'd say he's right too, and he probably has the semi-final in mind as it's on the 15 April, which is the following weekend!

Redgreenery

Goalkeeper K O Malley would be a doubt for the game aswell because he dislocated his thumb against Dublin, but I thought Clarke done a decent job so should be ok for the game there.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tubberman on April 02, 2007, 08:33:48 AM

Yep, we can take nothing for granted here, and the fact that it might be somewhat of a '2nd string' Mayo outfit should only increase the Tyrone resolve not to be turned over in our own backyard.  Good turnaround by your lads yesterday, though the Dubs do seem to have this 2nd half voodoo in some games, and five points seems to be the tipping point -- if they'd gone in 'only' four points ahead or fewer they might not have subconsciously believed that they had a match winning buffer, despite Pillar's best psychological efforts to hammer home the exact opposite at half-time.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

highorlow

Quoteit might be somewhat of a '2nd string' Mayo outfit

make that our "3rd string" our 2nd string bate the Dubs yeasterday ;)
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

Highorlow, I wouldn't be getting too sure of ourselves yet!  :)
That was a good comeback and they did very well in spells of the second half but there is still a lot of work to be done. The shooting was abysmal, and none of the players out injured are regualr heavy scorers.
A lot of the wides seemed to drift to the left so maybe the strong breeze was deceptive, but we still should have done better. This is the area that is giving most cause for concern at the moment.

OirthearMhaigheo

Couldn't agree more Tubberman, at the moment we're winning but doing so without setting the world alight. The forwards were shocking yesterday, even though the breeze was tricky, they should have sussed it by the end of the game! The squad is proving to be strong though as it's down to the bare bones in some positions, that has been the main positive of this league campaign. Jonno will try out a few lads next week which is a bit harsh on Dublin and Kerry as this will greatly help Tyrone pick up 2 valuable points, which I feel they will, given it's in Omagh and they will have greater hunger. All I'm hoping for next week is a good showing from some new kids on the block, so we'll have more options come summer time.

Redgreenery

Agree lads it'd be interesting to see how some of the other lads do against an AI winning side such as Tyrone and will tell us alot for the Summer!

Redgreenery

From gaa.ie:
QuoteMayo may have secured a semi-final berth last weekend but they have lost netminder Kenneth O'Malley, who sustained a thumb injury during the Allianz National Football League Division 1A win over Dublin, for a number of weeks.

The Ballinrobe clubman is likely to miss the Westerners' final regulation round game away to Tyrone this weekend.

O'Malley dislocated his thumb and will not be available for the final regulation round league tie as well as Mayo's Connacht U21 FC final against Roscommon.

Meanwhile, veteran midfielder David Brady will not make his return in the clash with Tyrone after sustaining a thigh problem during training on Saturday.

Brady had regained fitness following a calf injury and was set to make his comeback against Dublin last weekend before his latest setback.

It's a pity to lose K O Malley but I think Clarke can manage just as well as him.
D Brady getting a further injury would just sadden you as a return for him would have a huge impact on the team!!

realredhandfan

Jeez I didnt know big Bradys back again.  he must have had more comebacks than Brian Coll.

Redgreenery

Well he got injured in the game v Limerick, was supposed to make a return v Dublin but is now injured again.
Not sure when he'll return. :-\