Trevor Mortimer retires

Started by muppet, April 24, 2012, 10:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

http://www.hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=167250&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The first time I saw him was in Sligo and he stood out straight away. Absolutely fearless and up for anything and anyone. IIRC he scored an outrageous point with his left foot that day but we ultimately lost.

I would have preferred to have him this year as he would have been invaluable in the middle 3rd, but he has given wonderful service to us over the years despite having had a tough time with injuries.

Good luck Trevor, and thanks for always giving everything you had for the jersey.
MWWSI 2017

theticklemister

Ah Trevor was a very good player and he gave it all when representing the county, ye could see that straight away.

Jinxy

How many more players do we have to lose to Kenya before the GAA does something!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Denn Forever

But who was the best?  Kenneth, Trevor or Conor?  Ken for me.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

theticklemister

Conor always gets a bit of stick but always scores well, undue stick if ye ask me must be the hair and the boots!did he not break the record for points scored for Mayo during the league?

spuds

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 24, 2012, 12:48:48 PM
3 very different players and almost impossible to compare them. Ken for the few years around mid 90s was as a good a corner back as was in the country. Went off the boil and even played centreforward in 1999 ? against Cork. Trevor played primarily as a forward, wing to corner to 14 a few times, always rem. his tussels with Kieran Fitzgerald when no quarter asked or given. As mentioned before was only in latter years that possibly his best position found at wing back. Still only 31 and a bigger loss to us than a lot of people seem to think IMO.
Best of luck to him in his quarrying and all that he does. When we eventually do win the big one it is players such as Trevor that I will think of for all that he has contributed during times when lesser men would of walked away with the injuries he was plagued with. Bitteen ironic that he now has to pack it in due to working away when he has had his most injury free period in years.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 24, 2012, 12:48:48 PM

Kenneth was always my favourate as a player, but his playing days were when I was younger so I probably only noticed all his skills and positive footballing qualities and ignored his footballing faults. Trevor and Conor probably earned a harsher critque from me over the years. All 3 have been wonderful servants of Mayo football. Mayo football at club and county level would have been a poorer place without them.

Thanks for the football Trev.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

Bit of a blow, he looked better than ever last year. He won the Connacht final for ye. Boyle and Terv Mort could have have formed one of the most devastating half-back pairings in the country this year.

ross4life

What was his underaged career like with Mayo? A true leader on the pitch for the seniors & seems like a decent chap off the field all the best to him in his retirement.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

From the Bunker

Lost under 21 final to tyrone in 2001....Lost 97 and 98 finals in Minor.  I think!

Tubberman

Mentioned it another thread, but it's a real pity for Trevor he's retiring now. He had a great year last year in the half backs after a lot of people (myself included probably) thought his days in the green and red were over. He excelled in the half-backs, he was brilliant there on an otherwise disaster of a day against Derry in the qualifiers in 2007.
His physicality and work-rate are exactly what Horan has been instilling in the other players - Trevor already had that. It's a pity for him he wasn't a few years younger, or that style of play hadn't been introduced a few years earlier. That and the arse falling out of the economy has brought an end to his playing days, but he will be well remembered and at least he got to lift the Nestor Cup as captain.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

Best of luck Trev, he'll be a big loss to us this year.

Had his some great days and some not so great but he always gave 100% and you can't ask for much more than that. Great that we goes out on a high after an excellent year last year - wouldn't be surprised to see him back though, still has a lot to offer....

IolarCoisCuain

Best of luck to Trevor, but Kenny was the best of the three for my money. I'm not sure I'd agree with Spuds' theory that Kenny went off the boil. I don't remember him having many bad games for Mayo. His moving to centre-forward was a move that backfired but if you ask a corner-back to play centre-forward it's not the corner-back's fault if it doesn't work out. The thinking behind moving him up, if memory serves me, was that he had played 11 in school but that was a good bit in the past by the time 1999 rolled around.

moysider

I m just pissed off he s not going to be around and I m sure management is too.

Was alway s a half back. What some managers were thinking I ll never know. Yeah a talent like James Nallen would play anywhere too but too many of our best players were knocked about. He was my player of the champ. last year ( Andy and Kevin Mac mentioned in despatches also). Remember, he got us out of London alive and maybe Hyde as well - but who cares about that now - right?

We could have done without this tbh. Ah well. I m not getting into the comparison stuff with the brothers and where I saw him play first ( I could on both counts but it don t matter). He s up there with James Nallen and Colm Mac that in more recent years gave us leadership. Ok, none of them were technically flawless, but if you had a team made up of 5 of each you would never lose.

Best of luck to the lad.

orangeman

Trevor Mort was one hell of a hard nut. Not the type defenders looked forward to marking.

Very committed and talented player.