Tyrone v Monaghan - Sun 5 June - UCQF

Started by tyroneman, April 16, 2011, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Might as well get it started early!

I would imagine the team won't change significantly between the Kildare n Meath line outs for this. MH may well surprise everyone and leave SoN on the bench in favour of Donnelly.

Only Justy would def improve the team at present, if fit, assuming Philly has indeed retired.

From the u21s I imagine McNeice, McNabb, Donnelly and Coney would have a fair chance of joining Harte n McKenna. Don't think Girvan will make it this year and it's still prob too early for Ronan oNeill (although MH may feel some experience with senior team would be worth it).

Hopefully the Curran experiment is over for the summer again and we won't see him until next years mcKenna where he does his traditional curates egg performances.

GrandMasterFlash

What's the story with Justin McMahon, is he a doubt at this stage? He's one of the best full backs in the country.. You always like to see fellas making it but it would do us no harm if he was out!  ;)

ONeill

The big question is who does Mickey turn to when the first ball is kicked (probably handpassed) in anger. In recent years it has been his 03/05 lads. I know people say Tyrone kicked themselves out of it v Dublin but you also recall the slow build up from defence because of the midfield wipe-out. The same v Cork in 2009. From 03-08 Tyrone could do that. With the old hands in and around the 28-32 (don't accept that age is not an issue) grouping they're finding it harder to work that system against big, strong confident sides come August. Against Meath a week ago you saw signs of that happening again.

I'd love to see him turn to a couple of fresh talents but you just know it'll be

McConnell
Ricey-Justin-Carlin
Harte-Gormley-Jordan (or Joe with Colm in the HF line)
Hub-Cassidy
Sean-McGuigan-Joe (If Dooher.....)
Penrose-O'Neill-Mugsy

Is that side good enough in 2011 to beat Cork, Kerry or Dublin in Croke Park?

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Maguire01

The pressure is off Monaghan this time, unlike our last two championship meetings. Few will expect us to win. Although with a full fit team available, who knows what could happen. If we're going to have to beat Tyrone, i'd say the chances are higher in a first round than an Ulster final.

Anyway, as long as it's a better showing than last year's Ulster final, it's progress!

tyroneman

On thier day, if all playing in the 90-100% bracket and accurate in front of the posts, that side could beat anyone. Problem is that we have not had that combination too often since 2008. I wonder are we even falling inot the old Armagh trap of cantering through Ulster and then getting nailed out of shape further down the line.

There is no longer a huge gap between the top 10 I would say.

I would however prefer to see MH mix it up a bit with Justin in MF for example.

I think if we don't get anywhere this year  it will be time to start the rebuilding process and integrate Coney, MCKenna, Harte etc all as regular starters for 2011/12

Having a few of the 03 / 05 / 08 vintage on the bench to come in as and when needed would be a massive asset.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Joe Mc Mahon will be out after having his jaw broken in an off-the-ball incident when St Enda's met Moortown today.

Well done whomever!  ???

Joe sustains broken jaw
Moortown 0-10 St. Enda's 1-13   The St. Enda's community was left reeling with the news today (Sunday 17th April) that Joe McMahon sustained a broken jaw following an off-the-ball incident in the opening game of the 2011 All County League at Moortown.   Twenty minutes into the opening half, Joe was felled during an incident which was not witnessed by match officials. After he was removed to hospital, it was confirmed that Joe's jaw was broken in two places and a number of teeth were knocked out. Joe underwent surgery in Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry on Sunday evening in an attempt to repair some of the damage.   The St. Enda's and Tyrone star is expected to be out of action for at least three months. A spokesman for St. Enda's said the club was shocked and angered by what happened in the opening day of the season.   The game ended with a St. Enda's win - 1-13 to 0-10. In the reserve game, St. Enda's also won on the score of 2-12 to 0-12, but both victories have paled into insignificance, considering the extent of Joe's injuries.   Everyone at St. Enda's would like to wish Joe a speedy recovery.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Really bad news for Joe, St Enda's and of course Tyrone :(.

ONeill

Typical Tyrone and typical East Tyrone.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

Why are ye always breaking each others jaws up there?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

omagh_gael

Only place for that 'hard' man is before a judge. He should feel the full force of the law and be treated like it happened out on the street.

LeoMc

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 18, 2011, 12:41:14 AM
Only place for that'hard' man coward is before a judge. He should feel the full force of the law and be treated like it happened out on the street.
+1

AQMP

Big blow for Tyrone alright...hope he makes a full recovery ASAP.

Fuzzman

I hope this isn't the start of a series of injuries for the red hands like a few years ago.

I'd say Justy will have been hoping Joe would be relieving him from the FB position maybe this year so that's probably gone now for the 1st game at least.

BennyHarp

Quote from: LeoMc on April 18, 2011, 09:32:50 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on April 18, 2011, 12:41:14 AM
Only place for that'hard' man coward is before a judge. He should feel the full force of the law and be treated like it happened out on the street.
+1

I agree - the sooner these w*nkers get treated like the scumnbags they are the sooner they will think twice before punching someone in the jaw. How many times does this have to happen before real action is taken? A lad i used to play with still has problems after getting his two front teeth punched out during a match years ago when someone decked him from behind - has cost him a fortune in dental fees, let alone the time off work, even to this day.

No doubt the idiot who hit Joe will be full drunk roaring on his "heroes" in Clones or Croker later in the year.
That was never a square ball!!

Main Street

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 18, 2011, 04:10:37 PM
No doubt the idiot who hit Joe will be full drunk roaring on his "heroes" in Clones or Croker later in the year.
Sure you should just skip the preliminary formalities and start the Ulster Final thread, 'Tyrone V certain runners up'.
Also have another parallel thread topic -  'Is this side good enough in 2011 to beat Cork, Kerry or Dublin in Croke Park'?