who are you Paddy Heaney?

Started by randomtask, October 20, 2009, 06:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomtask

anyone read the irish news today where he quotes many people on this very site. So paddy are you goin to tell us who you are?

windyshepardhenderson

lavey's finest

randomtask

he quotes several people from the thread "Donal Og is gay". the article is an interesting read actually

screenexile

Lad you are absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think every journalist in the North and a fair whack of ones in the south are not on this board regularly!!! Whether they post or not is a different story but they most certainly see most of what's happening.

mountainboii

Some plagiarist from Gaelic Life stole my joke about Down and 7s football a few weeks ago  >:(

Tony Baloney

Where is the Donal og is gay thread anyway? Paddy mentioned Cuaig Huaire and a specific post of another poster.

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Caid

Sport - Against the Breeze - Donal remains a Rebel for the right reasons
Paddy Heaney
1094 words
20 October 2009
The Irish News
IRISHN
Pg. 71
English
(c) 2009, The Irish News Ltd. All Rights reserved.

A few days ago a friend of mine thought he had spotted an opportunity to break the ice with a girl at work who had caught his attention.

She was sitting at her desk reading a book. My friend has a keen interest in literature and he reckoned the book would provide him with the opportunity to display his kind and sensitive nature. Some girls love that sort of thing.

"What's the book?" he enquired as casually as he could.

She didn't answer. Instead, she lifted the tome from the table so he could read the cover: 'Harte: Presence Is The Only Thing.'

He was shocked. She was completely engrossed. "It's only out today. I couldn't wait to get it," she informed him in a strong Tyrone accent.

My friend was beaten. A robust heterosexual, born and raised in the GAA tradition, he has zero interest in Gaelic games. At that, he knew the wedding, or even a more short-term arrangement, was off.

This vignette illustrates the dangers of making assumptions in today's society. People are free to pursue their own interests. Not every girl reads 'Chick Lit' and not every boy loves football. It also underlines the increasing popularity of 'the GAA biog.'

And if Mickey Harte and Brian Cody were all the talk during the past month, then Donal Og Cusack will command the headlines for the next few days. His autobiography 'Come What May' will certainly challenge a few preconceptions.

Those who have not been on the planet for the past few days should know that Cusack has used his forthcoming book to reveal that he is a homosexual.

Extracts from the book dealing with his sexuality were published by The Irish Mail on Sunday at the weekend.

While Donal Og's preference for men was widely known in journalistic circles, and the chattering classes of the GAA, it's fair to say that the average gael had no idea about the Cork goalkeeper's sexuality.

The really amazing aspect to Cusack's revelation is that it has taken 125 years for the GAA to produce a gay sportsman.

This of course prompts the question: is the GAA the straightest sporting organisation on earth or have some boys not been entirely true to themselves?

One suspects that Cusack is not the first gay GAA man. Social scientists reckon that anything from two to 10 per cent of all men are homosexuals. Even by the most conservative figure, this means that in every four county squads, there will be at least two gay men. Not that this information is going to cause much hysteria. The sober and measured reaction to Cusack's revelation suggests that the new wave of GAA members accept that not everyone is the same.

The online response to the Cork goalkeeper's announcement was particularly informative. At the time of writing, the subject entitled 'Donal Og Cusack is gay' had prompted just six pages of replies on the most popular GAA discussion board.

To provide some context, the topic: 'Paddy O'Rourke is the new Armagh manager' had provoked 44 pages of frantic comment and debate.

The tenor of most of the posts about Donal Og was of admiration for his courage to publicly confirm his sexuality.

While the cloak of anonymity would have permitted contributors to vent hostility and prejudice, the overwhelming attitude was summed up by 'Cuig Huaire,' who wrote: "It's no big deal."

Due recognition and praise was also heaped on Donal Og's father. A crane driver who worked in the non-PC world of the building site, he initially struggled to come to terms with the news that his son was gay.

While trying to articulate this difficulty, he said to his son: "Like f*** it, Donal Og, the abuse you're going to get about this. I thought it was hard defending your short puck-outs, but f*** it, this one."

Fortunately, it seems that for many people the 'short puck-out' is still a much greater cause for concern. This speaks volumes about our mania for football, hurling, and the broad church of the GAA.

OF course, the GAA has a history of tolerance. There is a stadium on the Andersonstown Road which provides concrete proof that the GAA will not automatically damn a man solely because of his sexual inclinations.

Roger David Casement hailed from Protestant stock in Ballymena. He was also a homosexual.

Ballymena. Protestant. Gay. It's not exactly the recipe for a GAA icon. But he fought against the British and that was good enough for the Antrim gaels who in 1953 successfully argued against the new stadium in west Belfast being named Slemish Park.

Casement was viewed as a traitor by the British and a hero by the Irish. Donal Og should be able to empathise with the Irish rebel. He elicits a similarly mixed response.

Cusack was a leading voice in a group of Cork hurlers who won three All-Ireland titles. His zeal, fervour and dedication for perfection set the benchmark for his colleagues.

But while this fanaticism helped to secure success on the playing field, it also contributed to the chaos which has afflicted Cork GAA during the past decade.

Yes, there have been three All-Ireland titles, but there have also been three strikes and Donal Og has been a pivotal figure in each one. A zealous advocate of the Gaelic Players' Association, he represented the body when they declared their intention to strike over the grants' scheme.

The overall effect of his contribution to the GAA is still a matter for debate. There are those along the Lee who will regard him as a saviour of Cork hurling. But there are many who will see him as a disaffected and selfish agitator who pursued his own agenda regardless of whatever damage it wreaked upon the GAA.

People can decide for themselves, and reading the book may lead to a more balanced assessment. But perhaps the most pleasing outcome of this watershed moment for the GAA is that gaels are not allowing his sexuality to cloud their opinions of Donal Og Cusack, the man.

One message on the discussion board was particularly apt. Reacting to the weekend's big news, one contributor summed up the thoughts of many when he wrote: "Was bound to happen some day. Fair play, it took courage to come out. He's still a bollocks though."
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

ONeill

Quote from: AFS on October 20, 2009, 06:46:10 PM
Some plagiarist from Gaelic Life stole my joke about Down and 7s football a few weeks ago  >:(

Basterd.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on October 20, 2009, 08:07:03 PM
Quote from: AFS on October 20, 2009, 06:46:10 PM

Basterd.
Woods?

Caid

I feel there is probably more chance of me getting sued for copyright for posting the article above than there is of Paddy Heaney or the Gaelic Life Massive coming out and saying they take their material from the Board.  Handy job being a sports journalist in the modern day?
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

pintsofguinness

One message on the discussion board was particularly apt. Reacting to the weekend's big news, one contributor summed up the thoughts of many when he wrote: "Was bound to happen some day. Fair play, it took courage to come out. He's still a bollocks though."
Where did the thread go?

I'm pretty sure that was me that said that. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ONeill

Tony Baloney

ONeill