Why I'm reminded of the man with the digestives

Started by snatter, January 11, 2007, 04:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatter

From the Bray People

http://www.unison.ie/bray_people/stories.php3?ca=37&si=1752681&issue_id=15093

Why I'm reminded of the man with the digestives

Next, a parable. When Final Whistle was in college many years ago, there was one chap I knew (friend would be too strong a word) who could never get his act together to get himself somewhere to live.

So as a result he was always doing the rounds, looking for a couch to sleep on here, a free dinner there. Now of course you couldn't turn the poor chap away, he was in a fix. But he became so accustomed to freeloading that he started to take it for granted that he could just show up unannounced, with maybe a packet of digestive biscuits he'd shoplifted as some sort of token of civility.

And sure enough there came a point, when he started calling round and within one minute asking to have a shower, that not answering the door became the most desirable solution and that was the end of that.

Listening to certain soccer fans giving out about Lansdowne Road after that last game, about how it was a kip anyway and how they never had any real connection to the place, before they set off across the city to squat on somebody else's couch, I was reminded of my old college mate. Lansdowne is a kip but beggars can't be choosers.

Then we had Steve Staunton criticising the FAI over their refusal to give the Irish soccer team access to Croke Park for training purposes. Steve well knows that this is a sensitive issue in the GAA and shouldn't be pushing it one way or the other, especially as he could find himself sneaking up behind George Hamilton at home matches in Cardiff. For this, the Final Whistle 'Do You Mind If I Have A Shower Award 2006' goes to Steve again.