Assaults led to Dundalk IT's withdrawal from O'Byrne Cup

Started by never kickt a ball, January 05, 2007, 09:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Assaults led to Dundalk's withdrawal
05 January 2007

Dundalk IT's decision to withdraw from Sunday's O'Byrne Cup clash with Wexford was taken after five of their players were assaulted in their shared home.

The incident is said to have taken place just before Christmas and two of the players have sustained serious injuries. According to the college's sports officer Michael Heeney, the Dundalk players had no "appetite for football" as a result of the assaults.

"We have never had an incident before and this was a big shock to everyone and I can tell you that after the incident no one in the squad had much appetite for football and were only making sure that the players made a full recovery," he said.

"The house where five of the players were staying across the road from the college was broken into and the intruders proceeded to assault them and inflict some serious injuries.

"This incident completely upset our plans for training during the Christmas period and since the college does not officially open again for students until January 22, we simply could not possibly put a team together for Sunday that would do us justice.

"All the players had agreed to come to training sessions during the holiday period in preparation for the O'Byrne Cup and the Sigerson Cup, but the break-in incident threw all our plans out the window."

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=70711

Best of luck lads. Hope you all recover soon.

Josey Whales

quite frankly i think Bealin's comments are in poor taste in light of this.

youbetterbelieveit

you would think that five lads would be able to mind themselves, how many intruders were there?

BallyhaiseMan

the attackers were armed
one of the players was hit on the head with a handle of a hammer supposedly.
Fighting back could have resulted in more serious injuries.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on January 05, 2007, 10:31:33 PM
you would think that five lads would be able to mind themselves, how many intruders were there?

One of the lads in the house is from my neck of the woods. They were fast asleep when it happened and got a bad doing. The intruders were armed.

Colonel Cool

I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

rolloutking

what could be valuable in a batchelor pad with 5 students?

unless it was a personal thing

MrC

Quote from: rolloutking on January 06, 2007, 10:08:02 PM
what could be valuable in a batchelor pad with 5 students?

unless it was a personal thing

"The stole things like ipods, PS2, mobiles and a car....
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992