County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I've just received a WhatsApp from a former colleague from Kerry. He stressed that he was only passing on a rumour but he also said he had good reason to believe what he had heard.
He told me that had been a crisis meeting of the Kerry GAA panel and the players had voted by 26-11 to get rid of Peter Keane. It seems he has lost control of the dressing room since he got rid of Donie Buckley.
Seems Keane retains the confidence of the county chairman so things could get messy before the matter is resolved.
However, my friend feels that Keane will stand down before Christmas.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

yellowcard

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 29, 2020, 11:22:30 PM
I've just received a WhatsApp from a former colleague from Kerry. He stressed that he was only passing on a rumour but he also said he had good reason to believe what he had heard.
He told me that had been a crisis meeting of the Kerry GAA panel and the players had voted by 26-11 to get rid of Peter Keane. It seems he has lost control of the dressing room since he got rid of Donie Buckley.
Seems Keane retains the confidence of the county chairman so things could get messy before the matter is resolved.
However, my friend feels that Keane will stand down before Christmas.

So Keane is to be the fall guy for their own display against Cork. I felt that Kerry were much too cautious and defensive in that particular match but it wasn't a sacking offence. Within 2 years he took them within a hairs breath of an All Ireland title against arguably the greatest gaelic football side ever and won a National League title. In Armagh we have a manager who is going into the 7th year of his contract having not won anything. Surely one bad performance shouldn't prevent him from seeing out the final year of his contract.

imtommygunn

I don't think he deserved the road but he set them up really badly against Cork. Set out with half backs in the half forward line. There is some stuff doing the rounds about some part of his backroom team who left earlier in the year who people weren't happy about leaving too.

Cork getting beat by Tipp afterwards too probably didn't go down well particularly as they were so poor too.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 30, 2020, 01:56:07 PM
I don't think he deserved the road but he set them up really badly against Cork. Set out with half backs in the half forward line. There is some stuff doing the rounds about some part of his backroom team who left earlier in the year who people weren't happy about leaving too.

Cork getting beat by Tipp afterwards too probably didn't go down well particularly as they were so poor too.
Again, while I personally think my source is trustworthy, I'll emphasise that I'm just taking his word that there are problems in the Kerry camp
.He also said that Donie Buckley was one of those who left and it seems that Moran and Geaney are the ringleaders of the push against Keane.
I didn't see the game or I wasn't bothered enough to read about it either but I was told that Geaney had been dropped for disciplinary reasons and that  Moran ignored instructions not to attempt scoring from far out the field and that he (Moran) completely ignored what Keaner said.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

imtommygunn

Yeah Buckley was the name and I was wondering on Geaney. It's been doing the rounds on twitter a lot over the last few days that there's unrest and player meetings etc. Hadn't heard any outcome until this thread but it seemed clear there was unrest at least.

Blowitupref

Peter Keane quizzed on Kerry management set-up

Kerry manager Peter Keane is under pressure to shake up his management and backroom team ahead of the 2021 season.

Discussions between the County Board and Kingdom boss Keane are expected to continue in the run up to Christmas as the fallout from the dramatic Munster SFC semi-final loss to Cork at Páirc Uí Chaoimh continues.

Initial meetings have already taken place between management and members of the Board's executive where the composition of Keane's backroom team was discussed. The manager has also met separately with his backroom team.

Idle speculation of squad unrest and ultimatums from players is baseless, but they have met as a group since the loss in Cork and there is dissatisfaction about the coaching set-up since the poorly explained departure of Donie Buckley last March.

With the announcement of Buckley's exit coming just before the country went into lockdown, there was little public discourse on the behind-the-scenes tensions that led to his departure, but his coaching work met with universal approval from the squad. Players believe the failure to replace Buckley and his skillset compromised their readiness for Championship this autumn.

Prior to the Cork game, Peter Keane was asked about the Buckley departure and said: "I suppose it is water under the bridge. What I can say is that we parted company, I don't get into individual discussions I have with either members of the management or the players. You have privileged discussions going on all of the time and that would be a breach of them. That is where it is."

Keane is heading into the final year of his three-year term at a time when Kerry are also on the lookout for a new Under-20 manager following the departure of John Sugrue. All-Ireland winners such as Declan O'Sullivan, Kieran Donaghy, Marc Ó Sé, Seamus Moynihan, Tomas Ó Sé, and senior selector Tommy Griffin have all been touted as possible candidates for the role. However, the Board executive may want to look at the role as part of a broader management pathway strategy in the Kingdom.

As things stand, there are precious few candidates ready to step up to the senior manager position without reverting to former All-Ireland winning bosses. Current selector Maurice Fitzgerald is probably the standout candidate in that regard.

County Board chairman Tim Murphy told a Board meeting this week that a full review of the football performance this year was underway. John Mitchels club delegate Pat McAuliffe told the meeting: "I am glad to hear (the chairman) say there will be a review of all the workings of the senior football team management committee upcoming."

He went on: "I think that is important in view of what happened against Cork. I know we lost but the way we set up has to be looked at. It does not bode well for some of the young forwards we have in the county when we had two defensive players in the half-forward line and the best target player we have (Tommy Walsh) in the county was brought on as a corner back in the last few minutes. Things like that have to be reviewed and looked at. We can't keep making the same mistakes."

The chairman commented: "I will certainly bring to management the points you are making."
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sid waddell

I wonder will he be getting 20 questions, like Tom Ryan

Blowitupref

Padraic Davis has been reappointed Longford senior football manager for another two years
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

macdanger2

Donaghy joining the Armagh backroom team. He always sounds knowledgeable on the radio so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. Was he with the Galway hurlers for a season recently?

Taylor

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 14, 2020, 11:59:12 AM
Donaghy joining the Armagh backroom team. He always sounds knowledgeable on the radio so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. Was he with the Galway hurlers for a season recently?

Donaghy?

macdanger2

Quote from: Taylor on December 14, 2020, 12:07:39 PM

Donaghy?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1214/1184320-donaghy-set-for-role-with-armagh-in-2021/

Taylor

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 14, 2020, 12:10:45 PM
Quote from: Taylor on December 14, 2020, 12:07:39 PM

Donaghy?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1214/1184320-donaghy-set-for-role-with-armagh-in-2021/

Strangest appointment so far for 2021

Angelo

Armagh to Kerry must be a good 4/5 hr trek?

Some expense there.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

yellowcard

Quote from: Angelo on December 14, 2020, 12:22:43 PM
Armagh to Kerry must be a good 4/5 hr trek?

Some expense there.

The managerial gravy train appears to be stronger than ever with the number of high profile appointments in recent weeks.

Blowitupref

Paul Durcan joins Tony McEntee's Sligo backroom team as goalkeeping coach