USFC 2020 Semi-Final Armagh v Donegal

Started by Orior, November 03, 2020, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

WTF was that kick across the back of McHugh's calf by the Armagh 15??

tonto1888

Quote from: bennydorano on November 14, 2020, 02:49:45 PM
A good start & playing with the wind were essential, confidence punctured after 10 minutes and embarrassing since. Half a dozen players short of a top class team. Ryan Kennedy again looking solid about the only positive I can see. McGeeney's position will surely come under scrutiny again.

After gaining promotion to division one I doubt it. And nor should it

Seaney

Quote from: Orior on November 03, 2020, 12:10:29 PM
Let's start the conversation. My prediction:

Armagh 0-13 Donegal 3-15

Hope I am very wrong.

Have you tonights lotto numbers?

omochain

Do you think they will let us stay in Division 2. I was getting very happy winning the odd game.

Captain Obvious

Armagh was a million miles away from the competitive performance against Donegal in 2014. Only positive was no fans was in attendance to witness that.  Major improvement required in defence and midfield for 2021 to avoid seven division 1 defeats.

sid waddell

Six county Gaelic football has declined something shocking

Only Down left carrying the fleg in this year's championship now

Since the decline of the great Tyrone team there has been no outstanding team from the wee six

Down 2010 and Tyrone 2018 reached All-Ireland finals but Down 2010 were a flash in the pan and Tyrone 2018 stumbled into the final almost by default in a year when other potential challengers were taken out

7 of the last 9 Ulster Championships have gone to the saorstát and that looks almost certain to be 8 out of 10

Only Tyrone have maintained any sort of pretensions of being near the top table, Armagh, Down and Derry are in long slumbers, Fermanagh and Antrim can throw their hats at it

Armamike

Well that was fun. 

Unfortunately Armagh were required to fulfil this fixture or face sanctions from the GAA.
That's just, like your opinion man.

sid waddell

Peadar Mogan comes across as a smashing lad altogether - full of enthusiasm and wide eyed excitement in his interview

Reminiscent of Jack McCaffrey

He's doing a fair impression of McCaffrey's style of play too

Players like that bring so much more to a team than just their contribution on the pitch, you'd be buzzing to play with a lad like Mogan

I really think this Donegal team has a great chance against Dublin

general_lee

Armagh looked disjointed, nervous and consistently made the wrong decisions. Kick outs awful. Our defence is really poor and was badly exposed today. Our panel has no strength in depth. Bringing on players who are riddled with injury to take them off again less than 10 mins later. Out fought in midfield. Forwards clueless. Our forwards collectively are overrated - when  the chips are down they are found wanting.

Reality is Armagh are way off Division 1 standard. Someone says their half a dozen short of being a top class team. I'd disagree. Half a dozen off being a team able to compete. They did exceptionally well to achieve promotion but they lack the makings of a division 1 team. McGeeney getting flack as usual, which is deserved to a certain extent (especially after today) but doesn't take into account the bigger picture. Who in the county or elsewhere is going to do any better with the players available? It's not as if there's a wealth of hidden gems in Armagh club football ready to be unearthed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 14, 2020, 02:51:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2020, 02:26:45 PM
Men against boys..

You can have as many game plans as you want

Armagh are muck at the minute

Of you meant at the minute you wrote that then hard to disagree. Overall we have made progress this last year or two. We are a long way off the likes of the Donegal's and Dublins. This game shows us just how far and how much work we need to do.

Yes today Armagh are muck.. Donegal are very strong in all areas
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 14, 2020, 02:55:58 PM
Armagh was a million miles away from the competitive performance against Donegal in 2014. Only positive was no fans was in attendance to witness that.  Major improvement required in defence and midfield for 2021 to avoid seven division 1 defeats.
as a team we aren't as good as 2014. We don't have the same quality of players. Donegal are probably better now also.

J70

Quote from: sid waddell on November 14, 2020, 03:09:13 PM
Peadar Mogan comes across as a smashing lad altogether - full of enthusiasm and wide eyed excitement in his interview

Reminiscent of Jack McCaffrey

He's doing a fair impression of McCaffrey's style of play too

Players like that bring so much more to a team than just their contribution on the pitch, you'd be buzzing to play with a lad like Mogan

I really think this Donegal team has a great chance against Dublin

The St Nauls club don't get too much representation at senior county first-15 level, so he'll be the pride of Mountcharles tonight.

Especially with not a Four Masters man to be seen on the pitch!

bennydorano

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 14, 2020, 02:52:10 PM
A good start & playing with the wind were essential, confidence punctured after 10 minutes and embarrassing since. Half a dozen players short of a top class team. Ryan Kennedy again looking solid about the only positive I can see. McGeeney's position will surely come under scrutiny again.

This is not a kneejerk reaction - It needs scrutiny. The tactical failings are pretty consistent. Hard questions need to be asked and backroom teams shook up at the very least.

tonto1888

Quote from: bennydorano on November 14, 2020, 03:21:31 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 14, 2020, 02:52:10 PM

This is not a kneejerk reaction - It needs scrutiny. The tactical failings are pretty consistent. Hard questions need to be asked and backroom teams shook up at the very least.

Can we be better? Yes. Can McGeeney be better? Definitely. I like the idea of rejigging the back room team. However, after getting promotion I don't think now is the time for McGeeney to go

bennydorano

Quote from: general_lee on November 14, 2020, 03:11:50 PM
Armagh looked disjointed, nervous and consistently made the wrong decisions. Kick outs awful. Our defence is really poor and was badly exposed today. Our panel has no strength in depth. Bringing on players who are riddled with injury to take them off again less than 10 mins later. Out fought in midfield. Forwards clueless. Our forwards collectively are overrated - when  the chips are down they are found wanting.

Reality is Armagh are way off Division 1 standard. Someone says their half a dozen short of being a top class team. I'd disagree. Half a dozen off being a team able to compete. They did exceptionally well to achieve promotion but they lack the makings of a division 1 team. McGeeney getting flack as usual, which is deserved to a certain extent (especially after today) but doesn't take into account the bigger picture. Who in the county or elsewhere is going to do any better with the players available? It's not as if there's a wealth of hidden gems in Armagh club football ready to be unearthed.
Shane McConville, either McEntee? At least a different goalie might get a run.