Anybody know anything about violins?

Started by Eamonnca1, February 01, 2015, 04:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

I'm interested in learning to play the violin, wanna take lessons and all.

I was in a music shop today asking about them. From the homework I'd done on youtube I was under the impression that you could pick up something of a reasonable enough entry-level standard for between $50 and $100. The shop didn't have anything for less than $550, and the fella reckoned that anything you see on eBay or Craigslist for less than $400 is going to be utter crap, hard to tune, won't sound right etc.

I have every reason to believe him because it chimes with the advice I give to people who ask me about bicycles, I tell them anything less than $900 is false economy for it'll be a shite riding experience and probably put you off the sport.

So, any violinists out there? Should I invest about $400 in a good violin? Would a cheap-and-nasty model make it harder for me to learn?

Ball Hopper

Ask the local school's music teacher for guidance.  High school or middle school that is, not a fancy School of Music.

T Fearon

There's no place for violins in Ireland,North or South,Eamonn.Stick to peaceful means.Take up the guitar

brokencrossbar1

I would also look to the local music tutors outside of the school. Our wee one plays violin and her tutor would 'sell' the instruments that the pupils have grown out of. If you were going to someone for one to one it would be in their interest to look after you.

JoG2

Don't buy cheap. Go to a store or tutor as said above and get a decent entry level with decent sound and action.

Google Sentor Student ll.  WELB in the north west use them. My eldest plays to a decent level and it's beautiful to hear it around the house.  The first couple of years weren't as nice on the ears to be fair! ;-)

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

JoG2

Eamonnca1

JoG2, I've heard about these Sentors. The lady on the Youtube tutorials speaks very highly of them. I see one going for $170 and it seems to have rave reviews. Might just go for that.

Thanks everyone. You're very helpful.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 01, 2015, 07:22:01 PM
JoG2, I've heard about these Sentors. The lady on the Youtube tutorials speaks very highly of them. I see one going for $170 and it seems to have rave reviews. Might just go for that.

Thanks everyone. You're very helpful.

Definitely can recommend the sentor ones. Miss BC is on her second one and they are very good. Her music teacher recommended them

Eamonnca1

Okay. Just ordered a Stentor on Amazon. I'd love to support the local shop, but their stuff was just too dear.

The Iceman

A good friend of mine played first Violin for the Ulster Orchestra. I think her violin's were over a grand when she bought them. She said they appreciate with age? so I suppose paying $900 might be a good enough investment if you make money ever selling it on?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Eamonnca1

You might be right. They say they get better as you play them more.

rrhf

Quote from: The Iceman on February 02, 2015, 04:21:57 PM
A good friend of mine played first Violin for the Ulster Orchestra. I think her violin's were over a grand when she bought them. She said they appreciate with age? so I suppose paying $900 might be a good enough investment if you make money ever selling it on?
some fiddle that..

weareros

Quote from: ziggysego on February 01, 2015, 12:41:38 PM
You'd be better off playing the fiddle

A classical violinist told me that fiddle is the proper term but violin is used for snobbish reasons. What they are all playing are fiddles. Invest in a good bow too.

Billys Boots

Violins?  Try the Armagh defenders.  I'll get me coat.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...