Palestinian prisoners on Hunger Strike

Started by give her dixie, February 12, 2012, 04:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Khader Adnan is set to begin his 58th day on hunger strike, and is determined to fast until death. Speaking yesterday from his prison cell, where he is shackled to his bed, Khader delivered the following statement:

"I started my battle offering my soul to God almighty and adamant to go ahead until righteousness triumphs over falsehood. I am defending my dignity and my people's dignity and not doing this in vain."

"The Israeli occupation has gone to extremes against our people, especially prisoners. I have been humiliated, beaten, and harassed by interrogators for no reason, and thus I swore to God I would fight the policy of administrative detention to which I and hundreds of my fellow prisoners fell prey," Adnan wrote.

His letter, delivered by Jalal Abu Wasil, a lawyer from the Palestinian ministry of prisoners affairs who visited him in hospital, also highlighted that Adnan refused to be examined by doctors.

"Here I am in a hospital bed surrounded with prison wardens, handcuffed, and my foot tied to the bed. The only thing I can do is offer my soul to God as I believe righteousness and justice will eventually triumph over tyranny and oppression."

"I hereby assert that I am confronting the occupiers not for my own sake as an individual, but for the sake of thousands of prisoners who are being deprived of their simplest human rights while the world and international community look on,"

"It is time the international community and the UN support prisoners and force the State of Israel to respect international human rights and stop treating prisoners as if they were not humans."

Human Rights Watch (HRW)  issued a statement today where they called on Israel to either release Khader or charge him with an offence.

"Israel should immediately end its unlawful administrative detention of Adnan and charge or release him,"

"He may be approaching death from his hunger strike, and yet Israel is chaining him to his hospital bed without bothering to even charge him with any wrongdoing,"

Support for Khader has come from across the world, with demonstrations been held in many towns and cities.  In Gaza and the West Bank, dozens of Palestinians have embarked on a hunger strike in solidarity with Khader.

A video  message of support and solidarity has come from a former Irish Hunger Striker. Tommy McKearney went 53 days without food in 1980, and was close to death before ending his fast. He knows only too well the difficulties facing Khadner, and has appealed for the international community to put pressure on the authorities to release him.

Click on the following link and watch Tommy's plea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1iwWZJPl_k

In 1981 Bobby Sands died after 66 days on hunger strike. A trust set up in Bobby's name has now highlighted Khader's case:
http://www.bobbysandstrust.com/archives/2527

Yesterday, hundreds gathered at the entrance to the Ofer prison and military court, where Palestinians are tried and imprisoned by Israel. 16 people were injured by rubber-coated bullets shot by Israeli forces, and four were arrested during protests.

Today, hundreds of Palestinians in prison joined Khader in solidarity, and have begun a hunger strike. Al Jazeera Report:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVdZdX_RM3E&feature=g-all-u&context=G208a333FAAAAAAAAAAA

An on line petition has been set up, and people from all over the world have signed to show their support and to call for his release:
http://signon.org/sign/khader-adnans-life-at-1?source=s.tw&r_by=2470434

Khader has now entered a critical stage in his hunger strike, where his death could come in a matter of hours.  According to a 2006 study by the British Medical Association, during the 1980 and 1981 hunger strikes in Northern Ireland, death generally occurred between 55 and 75 days. In general, the final stage of a hunger strike occurs between 45 to 75 days due to cardiovascular collapse or severe arrhythmias.

Please do what you can to save Khader Adnan's life. Contact the following people and demand that they intervene and save his life:

Please FAX to EU Court of Human Rights (which does not accept emails):+ 33 (0)3 88 41 27 30Please EMAIL to the below:
Secretary General Ban Ki-moonUnited NationsNew York, NY 10017 USAtel: 212-963-5012
fax: 212-963-7055 FAX !!!Email: ecu@un.org

Permanent Mission of Israel to the United Nations Office and Specialized Institutions in GenevaAvenue de la Paix 1-31202 GenevaFax: +41 22 716 05 55,Email: mission-israel@geneva.mfa.gov.il
Write to Israeli Embassies and Consulates in your own country. A directory of Israeli embassies can be found on the website of the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the following link:http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Sherut/IsraeliAbroad
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

seafoid

He has not been charged with anything.

Arbitrary administrative detention is legally incompatible with the most basic international standards of human rights, because it is without any specific charge against the prisoner. These arbitrary detentions depend on the military file and "secret evidence" which cannot be seen by the detainee or defense lawyers. This file is prepared by Israel intelligence and is "collected" illegally.

This type of detention is internationally banned and is impacting lawmakers in the Palestinian Legislative Council, members of local councils, university students, political activists, academics, trade unionists and even women and children.

The imposition of administrative detention by Article 111 of the military state of emergency imposed by the British colonial authorities of Palestine September, 1945 is illegal on the grounds that Article 43 of the Hague international agreement of 1907 prohibits an occupying power to change the legislative reality of the country occupied.
Administrative detention is the endless suffering of the prisoners because they may de detained for a decade, physically and psychologically impacting the detainee and their family based on the expectation that the next decision will be an extension of detention.
The International Solidarity Foundation for Human Rights received from the Israeli military court in Ofer, that the number of additional administrative detentions issued by the Israeli military governor reached a total of 5,971 since the beginning of 2004 until the end of 2010.

Israeli justice is a sick joke
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mylestheslasher

Not much point hunger striking as a Palestinian in protest at the Israelis. It'd akin to Jews going on hunger strike in protest of their treatment at the hands of the Nazis. Neither perpetrator cares if they were all to die.

haveaharp

give her dixie

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=460057&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Bombers targeted staff at Israel's embassies in India and Georgia on Monday, the foreign ministry said, with a bomb going off in New Delhi but a second device in Tbilisi defused.

Indian police said a bomb hit an embassy car and wounded a woman. She was not immediately identified and there was no word on her condition.

"There was one attempted attack, and one successful, as it were," said Paul Hirschson, a spokesman for Israel's foreign ministry. "In both cases, the people concerned worked with the Israeli embassies."

He also confirmed that a bomb had been found in a car belonging to a staffer at the embassy in the Georgian capital Tbilisi, which was defused by local police.

Hirschson said the Israeli ambassador to India was not hurt in the New Delhi attack.

Israel had put its foreign missions on especially high alert ahead of the Feb. 12 anniversary of the assassination, in 2008, of the military mastermind of Lebanon's Hezbollah guerrillas, linked to the Shiite Islamist group Hezbollah, Imad Moughniyeh.

Iranian-backed Hezbollah had vowed to avenge Moughniyeh's death in a Damascus car-bombing, blaming it on Israel.

Israelis had also warned of possible reprisals ordered by Tehran for the assassination of several scientists involved in Iran's controversial nuclear program. No-one has claimed responsibility for the Iran killings.

seafoid

Quote from: haveaharp on February 13, 2012, 08:26:40 AM
"and not doing this in vain"

Is exactly what he is doing.

You don't know what it going to be the spark that wakes the world up to what Israel is doing.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

give her dixie

Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2012, 12:59:39 PM

You don't know what it going to be the spark that wakes the world up to what Israel is doing.

Exactly.  If Khader is allowed to die, it will set of a chain of events that will ignite a backlash. Just like here in 1981.

If anyone here has any contacts for Nationalist politicians, please contact them and ask them to speak out, and speak up for Khader. I and others have been trying for days now, and not one of them will reply to my e mails, or tweets.

give her dixie

glens abu

Quote from: give her dixie on February 13, 2012, 01:12:36 PM

Exactly.  If Khader is allowed to die, it will set of a chain of events that will ignite a backlash. Just like here in 1981.

If anyone here has any contacts for Nationalist politicians, please contact them and ask them to speak out, and speak up for Khader. I and others have been trying for days now, and not one of them will reply to my e mails, or tweets.

Dixie a very worrying time,have you contacted Sinn fein politicians and got no responce?

haveaharp

Problem is the world doesnt give a f**k as demonstrated by the US and UK governments. Mealy mouthed words of criticism but behind the scenes support.

glens abu

Action Needed Now to Save Palestinian HungerstrikerFebruary 13, 2012

Sinn Féin MLA Pat Sheehan has called for immediate action by Israeli authorities to save the life of Palestinian Political Prisoner Khader Adnan.

Speaking after an appeal was issued by Amnesty International on Israel to either charge or release Mr Adnan before it is too late.

Mr Sheehan said,

"The case of Khaled Adnan is one that humanity cannot ignore. Mr Adnan has been detained without charge by Israeli authorities using draconian powers that can allow for him indefinite imprisonment without any due process in law.

"This is an abuse of human rights that is bad enough but we are hearing that Mr Adnan's life is in serious danger due to the effects of a hunger strike he has embarked on in protest at his detention without trial.

"Mr Adnan was arrested by Israeli forces in the West Bank on December 17th and given a 4 months detention order by a military court on January 10th.

"It is time that the Israeli authorities demonstrated a commitment to humanitarian and international judicial standards. They must accept responsibility for the well-being of Mr Adnan who is in their custody.

"I am happy to endorse the call by Amnesty International to the Israeli authorities to act now to save Mr Adnaan's life.

"Imprisonment without trial is wrong and allowing a prisoner to die on hunger strike is an affront to humanity."

ENDS

give her dixie

Khader Adnan's Life in Grave Danger as He Continues His Struggle Against Israel's Human Rights Violations

Israel's Military Appeals Court Confirms Four Month Administrative Detention Today

Ramallah, 13 February 2012 – The Israeli Military Appeals Court dismissed the appeal against Khader Adnan's administrative detention order today, 13 February 2012. The court decision orders Khader to remain detained for the full duration of his four month administrative detention order, to be expired on 8 May.  Today's decision follows the inconclusive Appeals Court hearing that took place on 9 February in a hospital room at the Zif Medical Center in Safad due to his critical medical condition. The decision comes as Khader Adnan persists in the 58th day of his ongoing hunger strike and his health continues to deteriorate.   

In the Appeals Court decision confirming Khader's administrative detention, Judge Moshe Tirosh stated that according to the secret material available to the judge but not available to Khader or his lawyers, the court decision was "balanced". He also commented that the secret material confirms that Khader Adnan is a political leader in the Islamic Jihad party.  In his decision, Judge Tirosh completely disregarded Khader's lawyers' numerous arguments, including the lack of evidence that Khader Adnan has carried out any activities providing grounds for detention; that administrative detention is used in an arbitrary manner; and that affiliation to a political party is aligned with the right to freedom of expression, assembly and political association.

Furthermore, in response to Khader's statement during the appeals hearing on 9 February, which outlined the details of the torture, inhuman and degrading treatment to which he was subjected by Israeli Occupying Forces since his arrest, the military prosecutor stated that these allegations were exaggerated and did not take place in the way Khader described.  In commenting on Khader's life-threatening health condition, Judge Tirosh stated that only Khader is to blame for his physical health condition as a result of his choice to continue his hunger strike and that his medical condition will not influence the administrative detention decision.

Addameer lawyer Samer Sama'n was also able to visit Khader in Zif Medical Center in Safad today. According to Khader, Israeli Prison Service (IPS) forces carried out an extensive search of his room on 10 February, despite the fact that throughout his stay in the hospital room, IPS forces have continued to shackle one arm and his opposite leg. Khader also stated that yesterday, 12 February, IPS personnel threatened to shackle all four of his limbs for reasons that were unclear to him.

Physicians for Human Rights-Israel doctors were permitted to visit Khader today and conduct medical examinations. This examination is only the third since he began his hunger strike. His medical condition, already at a life-threatening stage, continues to deteriorate and he is experiencing extreme pain. For more details on his current medical condition, please refer directly to Physicians for Human Rights.

Addameer condemns the Israeli Appeals Court Judge Tirosh's confirming decision in blatant disregard of Khader Adnan's life-threatening condition. Addameer further protests the Israeli Appeals Court's blatant exploitation and violation of international law to guise its illegal and sweeping policies, including the categorization of all Palestinian parties as terrorist parties, and also protests the inaction in pursuing serious investigation into Khader's claims of torture, abuse and inhuman and degrading treatment. Addameer holds Israel accountable for the life of Khader Adnan, whose health has entered an alarmingly critical stage that will now have irreversible consequences and could lead to his fatal collapse at any moment.

Addameer holds the international community responsible for not taking action to save Khader's life. Addameer demands that the European Union, the United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross intervene with Israel immediately before it is too late. Addameer further hails all local and international solidarity efforts made on Khader's behalf and urges individuals to continue calling attention to this most urgent matter.

Minder

I would like to think, mind you I wouldn't bet on it, that our local politicians have enough to be getting on with than getting involved in this.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

give her dixie

Good stuff Glens. Thanks for posting.

Khader has now entered his 59th day on hunger strike, and there is no signs that he is going to
end his strike. It looks like he is going the distance.

Israel are holding him without trial, or charges, much like internment.

The sooner Politicians and Governments stop giving credit to this racist apartheid state the better.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with them for photo opportunities is just legitimizing their behavior,
and several Irish politicians north and south are guilty of this.

The ethnic cleansing continues on a daily basis, and the murders continue.

Airstrikes on Gaza on Saturday night left a 71 year old farmer dead, and several injured.

Lets hope some light will appear, and Khader's life will be saved.

Somehow, I doubt it.

give her dixie

Quote from: Minder on February 13, 2012, 09:33:37 PM
I would like to think, mind you I wouldn't bet on it, that our local politicians have enough to be getting on with than getting involved in this.

While I can see your point Minder, it is worth remembering that these same politicians called for support worldwide 31 years ago when the hunger strikes went on here.

The least they can do is speak up for those who are enduring the same pain today.