Mayo v Donegal Saturday August 8th, 2015 Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by From the Bunker, July 31, 2015, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: J70 on August 10, 2015, 07:21:40 PM
McFadden and Toye have been there since 2002. Lacey, Durcan and Eamon McGee since 2004/5. Neil Gallagher must be the same. Is there another team with that many first choice that long around?

Even Neil McGee and Thompson made their debuts a decade ago, with McGlynn and Murphy close behind.
Murphy almost a decade ago?

From the Bunker

Good solid professional performance from Mayo on Saturday. Management who have taken a lot a flak took a gamble with Barry Moran and it paid off. Goals either side of half time killed the game.

A big factor in Donegals apparent lack of energy has to be attributed to their already heavy schedule of games. Games against Tyrone, Armagh, Derry, Monaghan and Galway is a big difference from playing just Galway and Sligo! With such a tight squad, Donegal have seen injuries mount and players not rested in games.

Donegal has not become an average side overnight. Just the (ridiculous) fixture list caught up with them. There seems to be calls for Retirements and blooding of Minors and Under 21's. If I was Gallagher (providing he's still at the helm) I'd wait for a few weeks before accepting retirements. There are still a good couple of the older lads who have something to offer.

Besides all, this Donegal side owes nothing 3 Anglo/Celt Cups and an AI are nothing to be scoffed at. A great group that has given Donegal great pride over the last 5 years.

As for ourselves, well today means nothing. Yes it's nice to get to an AI semi-final and to beat a decent (if currently out of form) Donegal side, but we've been here before and to the later stage. Five in a row Connacht titles and the title of top 4 team mean nothing without the big Canister! I know there are two potentially tough games left but this won't get any easier next year to claim the top prize. The time is now!

twohands!!!

McFadden and Toye have been there since 2002. Lacey, Durcan and Eamon McGee since 2004/5. Neil Gallagher must be the same. Is there another team with that many first choice that long around?

Even Neil McGee and Thompson made their debuts a decade ago, with McGlynn and Murphy close behind.

Christy Toye   2002
Colm McFadden2002
Eamon McGee   2004
Karl Lacey           2004
Neil Gallagher   2004
Rory Kavanagh   2004
Paul Durcan   2006
Neil McGee   2006
Anthony Thompson   2006
Frank McGlynn           2006
Michael Murphy    2008
Paddy McGrath           2010

J70

Quote from: LeoMc on August 10, 2015, 07:50:04 PM

Murphy almost a decade ago?

Just completed his ninth intercounty season.

Made his debut at 17 in 2007 against Leitrim.

J70

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 10, 2015, 08:14:32 PM

Christy Toye   2002
Colm McFadden2002
Eamon McGee   2004
Karl Lacey           2004
Neil Gallagher   2004
Rory Kavanagh   2004
Paul Durcan   2006
Neil McGee   2006
Anthony Thompson   2006
Frank McGlynn           2006
Michael Murphy    2008
Paddy McGrath           2010

Durcan started in 2004 (I'm sure Armagh men will remember Diarmuid Marsden beating him to flick a 45 into the net in that year's Ulster final at CP).

Kavanagh played in 2002, but didn't get established as first choice till 2006. Retired last year though.

Farrandeelin

On reflection, Mayo only beat a well worn out, old, tired, unmotivated (due to 2022), jaded team by 8 points. :(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 10, 2015, 09:27:59 PM
On reflection, Mayo only beat a well worn out, old, tired, unmotivated (due to 2022), jaded team by 8 points. :(

Yes Farr! But you can only beat what is in front of you! Like Cork, Donegal losing their provincial final put them over on the sh1t side of the draw! And surely must have made a hard task look impossible! And had to affect morale.

yellowcard

Really hope that Mayo go on and win an All Ireland this year. A team with a lot of big characters that play the game in the right manner and who most neutrals will be rooting for. The Dubs v Mayo has the potential to be the game of the season.

Halfquarter

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 10, 2015, 08:03:56 PM
Good solid professional performance from Mayo on Saturday. Management who have taken a lot a flak took a gamble with Barry Moran and it paid off. Goals either side of half time killed the game.

A big factor in Donegals apparent lack of energy has to be attributed to their already heavy schedule of games. Games against Tyrone, Armagh, Derry, Monaghan and Galway is a big difference from playing just Galway and Sligo! With such a tight squad, Donegal have seen injuries mount and players not rested in games.

Donegal has not become an average side overnight. Just the (ridiculous) fixture list caught up with them. There seems to be calls for Retirements and blooding of Minors and Under 21's. If I was Gallagher (providing he's still at the helm) I'd wait for a few weeks before accepting retirements. There are still a good couple of the older lads who have something to offer.

Besides all, this Donegal side owes nothing 3 Anglo/Celt Cups and an AI are nothing to be scoffed at. A great group that has given Donegal great pride over the last 5 years.

As for ourselves, well today means nothing. Yes it's nice to get to an AI semi-final and to beat a decent (if currently out of form) Donegal side, but we've been here before and to the later stage. Five in a row Connacht titles and the title of top 4 team mean nothing without the big Canister! I know there are two potentially tough games left but this won't get any easier next year to claim the top prize. The time is now!

Sometimes it is easier to get your hands on the big Canister, just look at Kerry's nice handy run to the final.

moysider

Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2015, 10:02:36 PM
Really hope that Mayo go on and win an All Ireland this year. A team with a lot of big characters that play the game in the right manner and who most neutrals will be rooting for. The Dubs v Mayo has the potential to be the game of the season.

Can only be the game of the season if Mayo win - regardless how good the quality is. Mayo also need to win from here as the team that has not done so for longest and has been there in final so often. I'd hazard as often as Tyrone has ever been in last 30 years and maybe more often than Dublin in that period as well.

But it's all about winning. A Mayo win might encourage others to get serious about it. But that's not likely to happen.

J70

I doubt if there is a single Donegal person out there who is not full of gratitude about what this side has achieved.

Remember, we had only five Ulster titles in our history before 2011. McGuinness increased that haul by 60%!

I do think we need to start looking at what else is out there in terms of rebuilding though. Since 2012, only Ryan McHugh, Odhran MacNiallais and, to a lesser extent, Martin O'Reilly and Darrach O'Connor have broken through, with Hugh McFadden and Eamon Doherty introduced in the past few games. And that is into anging team.

Real Talk

Donegal's fixtures once again high lights the inequality of the All-Championship Draw.  Mayo are a very good team and they have come through a difficult defensive system in the Donegal set-up to win very convincingly.  Provided the keep their concentration on a solid defence they have the 'offensive flair' to win Sam

rosnarun

QuoteDonegal has not become an average side overnight
no but Despite las yer allireland final appearance they have been getting weaker for the last few years.
mind you they have a great base to rebuild
the Mchughs mcbreaty Macniallas o'rieilly and Mcellhenny(where Darach O'Connor gone)  should form the basis of their next team add in a few minors and the best of the older guys they could well win Ulster again next year and then who knows.Once you have a Murphy on your team you always have a chance.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

StephenC

Quote from: rosnarun on August 11, 2015, 12:53:06 PM
QuoteDonegal has not become an average side overnight
no but Despite las yer allireland final appearance they have been getting weaker for the last few years.
mind you they have a great base to rebuild
the Mchughs mcbreaty Macniallas o'rieilly and Mcellhenny(where Darach O'Connor gone)  should form the basis of their next team add in a few minors and the best of the older guys they could well win Ulster again next year and then who knows.Once you have a Murphy on your team you always have a chance.

Bad season with injuries.

INDIANA

Quote from: J70 on August 11, 2015, 12:45:14 AM

I doubt if there is a single Donegal person out there who is not full of gratitude about what this side has achieved.

Remember, we had only five Ulster titles in our history before 2011. McGuinness increased that haul by 60%!

I do think we need to start looking at what else is out there in terms of rebuilding though. Since 2012, only Ryan McHugh, Odhran MacNiallais and, to a lesser extent, Martin O'Reilly and Darrach O'Connor have broken through, with Hugh McFadden and Eamon Doherty introduced in the past few games. And that is into anging team.

You're probably 2-3 years away unfortunately . However you've had some great days and those lads sacrificed every bit of themselves for the jersey. You were in the minor final - things aren't too bad

Only nagging doubt is you left one all Ireland behind you . Largely due to Jims stubbornness of getting rid of Gallagher