Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2015, 01:54:12 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 24, 2015, 01:36:33 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2015, 12:43:41 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 24, 2015, 12:34:57 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2015, 12:20:06 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 24, 2015, 12:11:08 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2015, 11:56:29 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 23, 2015, 11:38:17 PM

A venue was supposed to be announced today so 'negotiations' must be ongoing.

My suspicion is that the Connacht Council is playing hard-ball with both county boards. Money is the bottom line for CC. A Mayo V Roscommon final in McHale Park would have been a huge sell with the Rossie hoards sniffing blood. Now they have a scenario where their biggest earner of the year is not going to be very big.

I hope Mayo Board don t give in to the pressure. This Mayo team has been able to win everywhere apart from Limerick >:( Mayo management have said they don t care where it is played. Obviously they just want to focus on team preparation.

Game will likely be in Castlebar like I said in the beginning. And then Mayo's hypocrisy pie will be fully baked and ready to be served.

Wha?

Dunno what you re on about there Sy? Mayo are as likely to win/lose this game anywhere else as in Castlebar.
This is Connacht Council's baby. Not Mayo's.
I m only hoping that Mayo board do not concede anything stupid for the future for immediate monetary solace. If a deal can be done with funds I d be ok with that.
I m also aware of the practicality of the debt that is there and the need to manage it. At the end of the day a match lasts 70mins but money issues drag on for several years/decades.

If sport was about sport and fairness then this should be a neutral venue. But who decides? Players and management? Board? There are already vested interests before even fans have an opinion and naturally they don t have a say.

I dunno how you re making this out to be a Mayo 'pie ::)'?
Anyway if ye boys were as good as ye were hyped up to be we wouldn t be in this mess. We d be landing the five in McHale Park and God would be happy in Heaven and the Connacht Council would be rich and thick.

Limerick. And good luck selling this as the Connacht Council 'forcing' a home Connacht final on Mayo.

If our manager can't get away with saying he wants to try and get to the top ye haven't much hope getting this one through without a bollicking from a lot of quarters.

Ah quit trying to cut a stick to beat us with. Sligo can insist on a neutral venue all day long. I and most Mayo people that I d take seriously want to go neutral just to avoid the inevitable resentment that would come from people like you if it it was played in McHale Park. The bean counters will have their say unfortunately.

Next time The Dubs play Kildare or Meath in a Leinster final it should be played down in Nowlan Park in the interest of transparency and making people travel a distance. They already do it in Ulster.

As I said from the start, the only venue that makes sense is Castlebar. It's fanciful to think there is any serious desire in Mayo to willingly go down to Salthill either and certainly any CB official who has anything approaching intimate knowledge of the money involved would would be stupid enough to support that really has lost the plot.

I feel sorry for Mayo in one sense, because the logical venue is also the one that creates a glaring hypocrisy for a county that lost their heads over going to Limerick last August. Then I remember you're getting a home Connacht final that wasn't really due you.

Connacht needs the Hyde. The sort of funding McHale and Pearse got would be a nice way of preventing this happening.

Quit the hyperbole Sy. There s a big difference between playing Kerry in an AI semi in Limerick/in Munster and Sligo playing Mayo in McHale Park. When Ros get to that AISF stage again and are dealt a hand like that, I assume you'd be cool with it ::).

There is no hypocrisy involved from Mayo. Not our call. CC would have lost money in 2012 playing in Hyde. Do you see Leinster finals played outside CP or Munster Hurling away from Semple. Many Ulster finals outa Clones. Surely Monaghan should play Donegal in Ballyshannon for once.

I don t want this game in Castlebar because you and others will be like a dog with a bone. Play it in Mark. Park  if it s tossed and print 13.000 tickets. Those that don t get a ticket watch it on tv. Big deal. A lot of fans have to do that for bigger matches. But that is not the way it will work out. Money talks and bullshit walks.

You seem to assume I'm bothered by it. I'm a realist on these sorts of things and know McHale is the only venue that makes any sense for supporters and finically. There was some in our county who were ready to get their backs up at the idea of going to McHale but in reality they too would be in a minority.

It's nice you're willing to play it anywhere but I don't think the average Mayo summer band-wagoner, nor their Sligo counterparts, that will make up the majority of the people attending the game have any desire to go to Salthill out of 'fairness'. Even die-hards wouldn't really care all that much I'd wager. Most people just want a venue close to them with decent traffic flow and the chance to make a quick exit when all's said and done.

There is a hyporicsy in how this looks whether you would like to admit it or not. Mayo are far from silent partners in this, even the Connacht Council is John Prenty's machine and no one would ever label him Mayo's enemy. Just take it on the chin Moy.

At the end of the day Prenty is Prenty and his focus is getting as much bobs in the door as possible. Anybody that thinks there is any softness there is deluding themselves.
I was with a few Sligo lads this evening - lads that were at the Ros game and are proper Sligo GAA men (players, refs etc). Good friends and fellas I know for years. They want the game in Salthill and I d suspect they are fairly reflective of most Sligo fans. Will their wishes be taken into consideration? I doubt it.

I don't assume you're bothered with it but so far you're the only one (I think) that is looking at this as a Mayo stroke to get a home advantage.

Sligo have as good a chance in Castlebar as anywhere else. They beat us there in a replay in 75. But I don t wan t this game in Castlebar. Far too much shite involved.

Well it's hard for it to be a stroke when I'm saying it's the only venue that makes sense. And if you think a lad from Sligo who goes to maybe home championship games and Connacht finals wants to travel to Salthill and sit in a traffic jam for half a day then you're more than a bit gullible. Idealistic sorts who don't have to look at the numbers and the balance books can sit on a pub stool waxing lyrical about fairness and who they'd travel to Salthill all they want but it's representative of very little that's important.

This issue has been somewhat forced on Mayo by the Connacht Council deciding in its wisdom that the Hyde cannot host Connacht finals. That doesn't change the fact it suits Mayo's interests very well to have a home Connacht final, just as it suited Kerry to have Mayo to come to a Munster ground they knew very well.

Not gullible( I hope) and these guys are far from being idealistic. One of them could easily be making calls at a championship match anon. I regard them as being fairly reflective of the Sligo view and I can see where they are coming from. Sligonian has expressed similar feelings already I think? Magpie Seanie, I suspect, feels the same way?
I think Sligo fans think they have a better chance playing in say Salthill. And because they never had a home final against us in 40 years then it is a bit much.......

As you ve said already, we don t deserve a home final and the more I think about it the more I hope it's not. But will you forget about the Hyde for a while.

Well what I'm saying is those people are the people who if you told them if the match was being played on Venus would immediately try to book spaceships.

People like that will follow their county wherever they take them, but the people who don't have that attachment can be put off by a few more miles and a few more hours travelling. Especially when you can pay nothing to sit on your couch and watch the Sunday Game. There's going to be more of the later than the former at a Connacht final.

Sligo are right to think they'd have a better chance in football terms in Salthill. It's just that other factors make that almost as unlikely a location as Venus. Sometimes fairness is sacrificed at the altar of convenience.

SLIGONIAN

We want to win the game first and foremost, and give ourselves the best chance, mayo have too much experience in McHale compared to us so of course we want Salthill, we don't care about the traffic or weather, we just want to win the game. There is no way the players and management want the game in McHale imo, but our county board are an entirely different entity. We will find out tonight just how bad our county board are.

And btw I have to fly back to London after the game and make the flight from Dublin which will be tight but all I care about is winning this.

And also traffic into Castlebar in 2010 was a nightmare with about 5000 late for the game, massive tailbacks in bellaghy and castlebar.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Tubberman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 24, 2015, 08:20:58 AM
We want to win the game first and foremost, and give ourselves the best chance, mayo have too much experience in McHale compared to us so of course we want Salthill, we don't care about the traffic or weather, we just want to win the game. There is no way the players and management want the game in McHale imo, but our county board are an entirely different entity. We will find out tonight just how bad our county board are.

And btw I have to fly back to London after the game and make the flight from Dublin which will be tight but all I care about is winning this.

And also traffic into Castlebar in 2010 was a nightmare with about 5000 late for the game, massive tailbacks in bellaghy and castlebar.

I don't doubt a word of that Sligonian and I'd be the same in your shoes, but if you thought the traffic in Castlebar in 2010 was bad, Salthill in the same week as the Galway Arts Festival with most Mayo and Sligo traffic approaching the city on the same roads would be spoken about for decades!
But whichever of the grounds is chosen is fair enough, Mayo don't have a say as such, so we'll just get on with it.
I won't be there anyway, booked holidays without checking the dates - poor planning :( 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

If it's in Castlebar, it's a massive advantage to Mayo and honestly, I think there's very little chance of Sligo beating us there.

I'd be massively p*ssed if I was from Sligo at their own CB and (less so) at the CC.

From a Mayo point of view, I'd be delighted - shorter distance to travel and a better chance of winning. It's a no-brainer for us but it's certainly not fair.

macdanger2

BTW Syf, do you not have an All Ireland qualifier thread to be posting in??  ;D ;D

Mano

I would be of the same opinion of all the other Sligo posters on here. Play the game in a neutral venue and we have a better chance of been competitive and winning the game. Mayo have enough advantages in their favour with having a Sligo man playing in midfield and a Roscommon corner forward, tradition, bigger playing resources. Why give them the advantage of playing the game in the own back yard.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Mano on June 24, 2015, 10:40:37 AM
I would be of the same opinion of all the other Sligo posters on here. Play the game in a neutral venue and we have a better chance of been competitive and winning the game. Mayo have enough advantages in their favour with having a Sligo man playing in midfield and a Roscommon corner forward, tradition, bigger playing resources. Why give them the advantage of playing the game in the own back yard.

Agree with you on the neutral venue , Sligo deserved the right to play in Salthill and money shouldn't change this.
I am intrigued to know what Sligo club Tom Parsons played for before he started with Charlestown and the same for Andy Moran , which Roscommon club did he transfer from to Ballagh?  :D :D
Alan Costello wasn't exactly born reared and a diehard Sligo clubman was he ;D?? Sure David Kelly played town league for the Quay in Ballina and only moved to Tubber in his teens!!!
Actually the more I think about it , for the blatant thievery of our young talent I think Sligo should do the honourable thing and chose Castlebar so all us humble Mayo folk can save a bit of diesel in these harsh economic times!!! ;D ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 24, 2015, 11:37:43 AM
Quote from: Mano on June 24, 2015, 10:40:37 AM

Agree with you on the neutral venue , Sligo deserved the right to play in Salthill and money shouldn't change this.
I am intrigued to know what Sligo club Tom Parsons played for before he started with Charlestown and the same for Andy Moran , which Roscommon club did he transfer from to Ballagh?  :D :D
Alan Costello wasn't exactly born reared and a diehard Sligo clubman was he ;D?? Sure David Kelly played town league for the Quay in Ballina and only moved to Tubber in his teens!!!
Actually the more I think about it , for the blatant thievery of our young talent I think Sligo should do the honourable thing and chose Castlebar so all us humble Mayo folk can save a bit of diesel in these harsh economic times!!! ;D ;D
I think most Mayo fans wouldn't mind if the game was played at the North Pole , they just want to get on with the game regardless of the venue. I imagine the same applies to the management and players. Rows over venues will only serve as a distraction for the team's preparations.
BTW, what has become of James Kilcullen?
Last I heard of him, he was playing for Sligo but he seems to have dropped out of the panel.
Here was a Roscommon man who played  club football with Ballagh and played for Mayo before switching to Sligo.
Nobody in Sligo, or Ross either, complained when he switched his allegiance to another county.
Strange indeed....
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 24, 2015, 08:20:58 AM

There is a flight from Knock to Luton at 18.45 which could be doable but traffic will be very heavy on that route.

Shrewdness

Kilcullen is/was very mediocre imo. Of course, another advantage to Mayo of playing the final in Castlebar, is that it will give their minors home advantage in the minor final if they get there. If there's any fair play in this, it will be Salthill. Anything else will be Fifa-esque.

ballinaman

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 24, 2015, 01:21:15 PM
Kilcullen is/was very mediocre imo. Of course, another advantage to Mayo of playing the final in Castlebar, is that it will give their minors home advantage in the minor final if they get there. If there's any fair play in this, it will be Salthill. Anything else will be Fifa-esque.

Re: Kilcullen, so it only matters if the player is any use?

Ahra give over will ya, this is the Connacht councils baby. Nothing to do with Mayo, we'll play where we're told to.

Don't hear much from Waterford about playing Tipp in Thurles?  Munster council doing a FIFA as well ya?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ballinaman on June 24, 2015, 01:26:55 PM

Ahra give over will ya, this is the Connacht councils baby. Nothing to do with Mayo, we'll play where we're told to.

Don't hear much from Waterford about playing Tipp in Thurles?  Munster council doing a FIFA as well ya?

Thurles is just about a home ground for everyone in Munster hurling as they play there so often. Waterford probably have a better record there than they do at home.

weareros

Nothing to do with Mayo? The Headline in the Western yesterday was "Mayo Officials in Bid to Secure Final for Castlebar". Granted it was the print equivalent of click bait because the story was a whole pile of hypotheticals - ie if we secure Castlebar, then me might have to give Sligo the next 4 clashes in Markevich Park and we wouldn't want to be doing that..

Re: James Kilcullen. He was entitled to play for Sligo because both his parents were from Sligo. He is also nephew of Mickey Kearns.

ballinaman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 24, 2015, 01:40:45 PM

Thurles is just about a home ground for everyone in Munster hurling as they play there so often. Waterford probably have a better record there than they do at home.
That's fair enough I suppose, Sligo and Mayo would have equal ish experience of playing in Salthill..mayo probably a shade more. Castlebar is a different story obviously.

We'll play where we are told to. Learned that lesson last year.

Syferus

This idea being perpetuated by some Mayo posters here (most of whom I think are very good and fair posters) that Mayo somehow have no influence on the location of this final despite it being the dominant player in the Connacht Council itself and rumours of negotiations between the counties to come to an arrangement is hard to swallow. I know you're trying to save face because it looks bad, but c'mon man.