Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on June 23, 2015, 11:32:17 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 22, 2015, 11:03:50 PM
Regarding Markievicz Park I don't know what the exact capacity is but a quick look around after the announcement of the attendance left me wondering where you would fit a couple of thousand more. So assuming the attendance announced was accurate, I think 12,000 would have the place jammed completely.

Salthill is a pain but as Sligonian says it is a pain we're delighted to have. Might have to go the night before and stay with a buddy of mine in Salthill. As moysider mentioned, PJ's is a grand spot and there are many others. Bring it on.

Football wise - it will be very tough to stop the 5 in a row. Mayo are seasoned All-Ireland contenders and we are early in this teams development. I hoping that we kick on from the last day and rise a good challenge.

As for Parsons - I wouldn't take the cnut back for anything. I heard strong rumours that he was being courted about 16 months ago and it made me sick. If we win I'm sure the Curry lads can put a bonfire outside his house!!!!

Won't make the night before, but could you be persuaded to stay the Sunday night? Salthill is a pain to get to and home from, but if you are staying, there is nowhere better.  :D

That plan got kiboshed not long after I typed it. Looks like I'll be on the train from Dublin to Galway or Castlebar early that morning. Can't stay Sunday night unfortunately. Some other time.

Mayo4Sam14

Castlebar would be giving Mayo home advantage but its a he'll of a lot closer to Sligo than Salthill is, better stadium too
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

moysider

A venue was supposed to be announced today so 'negotiations' must be ongoing.

My suspicion is that the Connacht Council is playing hard-ball with both county boards. Money is the bottom line for CC. A Mayo V Roscommon final in McHale Park would have been a huge sell with the Rossie hoards sniffing blood. Now they have a scenario where their biggest earner of the year is not going to be very big.

I hope Mayo Board don t give in to the pressure. This Mayo team has been able to win everywhere apart from Limerick >:( Mayo management have said they don t care where it is played. Obviously they just want to focus on team preparation.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 23, 2015, 11:38:17 PM

My suspicion is that the Connacht Council is playing hard-ball with both county boards. Money is the bottom line for CC. A Mayo V Roscommon final in McHale Park would have been a huge sell with the Rossie hoards sniffing blood. Now they have a scenario where their biggest earner of the year is not going to be very big.

I hope Mayo Board don t give in to the pressure. This Mayo team has been able to win everywhere apart from Limerick >:( Mayo management have said they don t care where it is played. Obviously they just want to focus on team preparation.

Game will likely be in Castlebar like I said in the beginning. And then Mayo's hypocrisy pie will be fully baked and ready to be served.

If you don't think the Mayo CB want it at home you're mad. Of course they do and so would any county in their position. The only ones who would ever, ever push for Salthill are Sligo and even then the bean counters in the county wouldn't want it.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2015, 11:56:29 PM

Game will likely be in Castlebar like I said in the beginning. And then Mayo's hypocrisy pie will be fully baked and ready to be served.

Wha?

Dunno what you re on about there Sy? Mayo are as likely to win/lose this game anywhere else as in Castlebar.
This is Connacht Council's baby. Not Mayo's.
I m only hoping that Mayo board do not concede anything stupid for the future for immediate monetary solace. If a deal can be done with funds I d be ok with that.
I m also aware of the practicality of the debt that is there and the need to manage it. At the end of the day a match lasts 70mins but money issues drag on for several years/decades.

If sport was about sport and fairness then this should be a neutral venue. But who decides? Players and management? Board? There are already vested interests before even fans have an opinion and naturally they don t have a say.

I dunno how you re making this out to be a Mayo 'pie ::)'?
Anyway if ye boys were as good as ye were hyped up to be we wouldn t be in this mess. We d be landing the five in McHale Park and God would be happy in Heaven and the Connacht Council would be rich and thick.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 24, 2015, 12:11:08 AM

Wha?

Dunno what you re on about there Sy? Mayo are as likely to win/lose this game anywhere else as in Castlebar.
I m only hoping that Mayo board do not concede anything stupid for the future for immediate monetary solace. If a deal can be done with funds I d be ok with that.
I m also aware of the practicality of the debt that is there and the need to manage it. At the end of the day a match lasts 70mins but money issues drag on for several years/decades.

If sport was about sport and fairness then this should be a neutral venue. But who decides? Players and management? Board? There are already vested interests before even fans have an opinion and naturally they don t have a say.

Anyway if ye boys were as good as ye were hyped up to be we wouldn t be in this mess. We d be landing the five in McHale Park and God would be happy in Heaven and the Connacht Council would be rich and thick.

Limerick. And good luck selling this as the Connacht Council 'forcing' a home Connacht final on Mayo.

If our manager can't get away with saying he wants to try and get to the top ye haven't much hope getting this one through without a bollicking from a lot of quarters.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2015, 12:20:06 AM

Wha?

Limerick. And good luck selling this as the Connacht Council 'forcing' a home Connacht final on Mayo.

If our manager can't get away with saying he wants to try and get to the top ye haven't much hope getting this one through without a bollicking from a lot of quarters.

Ah quit trying to cut a stick to beat us with. Sligo can insist on a neutral venue all day long. I and most Mayo people that I d take seriously want to go neutral just to avoid the inevitable resentment that would come from people like you if it it was played in McHale Park. The bean counters will have their say unfortunately.

Next time The Dubs play Kildare or Meath in a Leinster final it should be played down in Nowlan Park in the interest of transparency and making people travel a distance. They already do it in Ulster.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 24, 2015, 12:34:57 AM

Wha?

Ah quit trying to cut a stick to beat us with. Sligo can insist on a neutral venue all day long. I and most Mayo people that I d take seriously want to go neutral just to avoid the inevitable resentment that would come from people like you if it it was played in McHale Park. The bean counters will have their say unfortunately.

Next time The Dubs play Kildare or Meath in a Leinster final it should be played down in Nowlan Park in the interest of transparency and making people travel a distance. They already do it in Ulster.

As I said from the start, the only venue that makes sense is Castlebar. It's fanciful to think there is any serious desire in Mayo to willingly go down to Salthill either and certainly any CB official who has anything approaching intimate knowledge of the money involved who would be stupid enough to support that really has lost the plot.

I feel sorry for Mayo in one sense, because the logical venue is also the one that creates a glaring hypocrisy for a county that lost their heads over going to Limerick last August. Then I remember you're getting a home Connacht final that wasn't really due you.

Connacht needs the Hyde. The sort of funding McHale and Pearse got would be a nice way of preventing this happening.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2015, 12:43:41 AM

Wha?

As I said from the start, the only venue that makes sense is Castlebar. It's fanciful to think there is any serious desire in Mayo to willingly go down to Salthill either and certainly any CB official who has anything approaching intimate knowledge of the money involved would would be stupid enough to support that really has lost the plot.

I feel sorry for Mayo in one sense, because the logical venue is also the one that creates a glaring hypocrisy for a county that lost their heads over going to Limerick last August. Then I remember you're getting a home Connacht final that wasn't really due you.

Connacht needs the Hyde. The sort of funding McHale and Pearse got would be a nice way of preventing this happening.

Quit the hyperbole Sy. There s a big difference between playing Kerry in an AI semi in Limerick/in Munster and Sligo playing Mayo in McHale Park. When Ros get to that AISF stage again and are dealt a hand like that, I assume you'd be cool with it ::).

There is no hypocrisy involved from Mayo. Not our call. CC would have lost money in 2012 playing in Hyde. Do you see Leinster finals played outside CP or Munster Hurling away from Semple. Many Ulster finals outa Clones. Surely Monaghan should play Donegal in Ballyshannon for once.

I don t want this game in Castlebar because you and others will be like a dog with a bone. Play it in Mark. Park  if it s tossed and print 13.000 tickets. Those that don t get a ticket watch it on tv. Big deal. A lot of fans have to do that for bigger matches. But that is not the way it will work out. Money talks and bullshit walks.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 24, 2015, 01:36:33 AM

Wha?

As I said from the start, the only venue that makes sense is Castlebar. It's fanciful to think there is any serious desire in Mayo to willingly go down to Salthill either and certainly any CB official who has anything approaching intimate knowledge of the money involved would would be stupid enough to support that really has lost the plot.

Quit the hyperbole Sy. There s a big difference between playing Kerry in an AI semi in Limerick/in Munster and Sligo playing Mayo in McHale Park. When Ros get to that AISF stage again and are dealt a hand like that, I assume you'd be cool with it ::).

There is no hypocrisy involved from Mayo. Not our call. CC would have lost money in 2012 playing in Hyde. Do you see Leinster finals played outside CP or Munster Hurling away from Semple. Many Ulster finals outa Clones. Surely Monaghan should play Donegal in Ballyshannon for once.

I don t want this game in Castlebar because you and others will be like a dog with a bone. Play it in Mark. Park  if it s tossed and print 13.000 tickets. Those that don t get a ticket watch it on tv. Big deal. A lot of fans have to do that for bigger matches. But that is not the way it will work out. Money talks and bullshit walks.

You seem to assume I'm bothered by it. I'm a realist on these sorts of things and know McHale is the only venue that makes any sense for supporters and finically. There was some in our county who were ready to get their backs up at the idea of going to McHale but in reality they too would be in a minority.

It's nice you're willing to play it anywhere but I don't think the average Mayo summer band-wagoner, nor their Sligo counterparts, that will make up the majority of the people attending the game have any desire to go to Salthill out of 'fairness'. Even die-hards wouldn't really care all that much I'd wager. Most people just want a venue close to them with decent traffic flow and the chance to make a quick exit when all's said and done.

There is a hyporicsy in how this looks whether you would like to admit it or not. Mayo are far from silent partners in this, even the Connacht Council is John Prenty's machine and no one would ever label him Mayo's enemy. Just take it on the chin Moy.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2015, 01:54:12 AM

Wha?

You seem to assume I'm bothered by it. I'm a realist on these sorts of things and know McHale is the only venue that makes any sense for supporters and finically. There was some in our county who were ready to get their backs up at the idea of going to McHale but in reality they too would be in a minority.

It's nice you're willing to play it anywhere but I don't think the average Mayo summer band-wagoner, nor their Sligo counterparts, that will make up the majority of the people attending the game have any desire to go to Salthill out of 'fairness'. Even die-hards wouldn't really care all that much I'd wager. Most people just want a venue close to them with decent traffic flow and the chance to make a quick exit when all's said and done.

There is a hyporicsy in how this looks whether you would like to admit it or not. Mayo are far from silent partners in this, even the Connacht Council is John Prenty's machine and no one would ever label him Mayo's enemy. Just take it on the chin Moy.

At the end of the day Prenty is Prenty and his focus is getting as much bobs in the door as possible. Anybody that thinks there is any softness there is deluding themselves.
I was with a few Sligo lads this evening - lads that were at the Ros game and are proper Sligo GAA men (players, refs etc). Good friends and fellas I know for years. They want the game in Salthill and I d suspect they are fairly reflective of most Sligo fans. Will their wishes be taken into consideration? I doubt it.

I don't assume you're bothered with it but so far you're the only one (I think) that is looking at this as a Mayo stroke to get a home advantage.

Sligo have as good a chance in Castlebar as anywhere else. They beat us there in a replay in 75. But I don t wan t this game in Castlebar. Far too much shite involved.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 24, 2015, 02:16:25 AM

Wha?

At the end of the day Prenty is Prenty and his focus is getting as much bobs in the door as possible. Anybody that thinks there is any softness there is deluding themselves.
I was with a few Sligo lads this evening - lads that were at the Ros game and are proper Sligo GAA men (players, refs etc). Good friends and fellas I know for years. They want the game in Salthill and I d suspect they are fairly reflective of most Sligo fans. Will their wishes be taken into consideration? I doubt it.

I don't assume you're bothered with it but so far you're the only one (I think) that is looking at this as a Mayo stroke to get a home advantage.

Sligo have as good a chance in Castlebar as anywhere else. They beat us there in a replay in 75. But I don t wan t this game in Castlebar. Far too much shite involved.

Well it's hard for it to be a stroke when I'm saying it's the only venue that makes sense. And if you think a lad from Sligo who goes to maybe home championship games and Connacht finals wants to travel to Salthill and sit in a traffic jam for half a day then you're more than a bit gullible. Idealistic sorts who don't have to look at the numbers and the balance books can sit on a pub stool waxing lyrical about fairness and who they'd travel to Salthill all they want but it's representative of very little that's important.

This issue has been somewhat forced on Mayo by the Connacht Council deciding in its wisdom that the Hyde cannot host Connacht finals. That doesn't change the fact it suits Mayo's interests very well to have a home Connacht final, just as it suited Kerry to have Mayo to come to a Munster ground they knew very well.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2015, 02:23:52 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 24, 2015, 02:16:25 AM

Wha?

Well it's hard for it to be a stroke when I'm saying it's the only venue that makes sense. And if you think a lad from Sligo who goes to maybe home championship games and Connacht finals wants to travel to Salthill and sit in a traffic jam for half a day then you're more than a bit gullible. Idealistic sorts who don't have to look at the numbers and the balance books can sit on a pub stool waxing lyrical about fairness and who they'd travel to Salthill all they want but it's representative of very little that's important.

This issue has been somewhat forced on Mayo by the Connacht Council deciding in its wisdom that the Hyde cannot host Connacht finals. That doesn't change the fact it suits Mayo's interests very well to have a home Connacht final, just as it suited Kerry to have Mayo to come to a Munster ground they knew very well.

Not gullible( I hope) and these guys are far from being idealistic. One of them could easily be making calls at a championship match anon. I regard them as being fairly reflective of the Sligo view and I can see where they are coming from. Sligonian has expressed similar feelings already I think? Magpie Seanie, I suspect, feels the same way?
I think Sligo fans think they have a better chance playing in say Salthill. And because they never had a home final against us in 40 years then it is a bit much.......

As you ve said already, we don t deserve a home final and the more I think about it the more I hope it's not. But will you forget about the Hyde for a while.

Blowitupref

QuoteSligo have as good a chance in Castlebar as anywhere else.

I think it's 2008 against Galway since Mayo lost a championship game in MacHale park. The last time Sligo played Mayo in MacHale park they lost by 13 points and they were defending Connacht champions then. The last meeting between the two played in neutral venue Sligo only lost by 2 points.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose