Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Venue is Mayo's call this time. Sligo went with The Hyde in 2012.
I'm not sure Mayo would go with Hyde Park, even if it was available.
Mayo are trying to get Sligo to come to McHale Park. What Sligo will demand remains to be seen. A number of future matches played in Mark. Park if they are not finals? A cash incentive? The game would attract as many as 10k more in Castlebar. Say an extra 100.000 euro in the coffers. Sligo can of course tell us to feck off and hold out for a neutral venue.

Blowitupref

Has been agreed a number of years ago that Sligo and Leitrim are entitled to a neutral venue if and when they reach Connacht finals. Been asked to play the final in MacHale park with the lure of money is FIFA like.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Chimley

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 22, 2015, 04:38:26 PM
Has been agreed a number of years ago that Sligo and Leitrim are entitled to a neutral venue if and when they reach Connacht finals. Been asked to play the final in MacHale park with the lure of money is FIFA like.

They'd be mad to consider McHale park unless they are only going for the day out. It's a pain for fans but unless we get Croke Park (free on the 19th), we're stuck with Salthill again.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Mayo are trying to get Sligo to come to McHale Park. What Sligo will demand remains to be seen. A number of future matches played in Mark. Park if they are not finals? A cash incentive? The game would attract as many as 10k more in Castlebar. Say an extra 100.000 euro in the coffers. Sligo can of course tell us to feck off and hold out for a neutral venue.

Where's this 'call' thing coming from? It's a neutral venue every time so it's never either team's call surely?

The reality of declining attendances means the Hyde would probably still be able to host everyone that will want to go to this game.

Be surprised if Sligo are bloody-minded enough to drag it to Salthill. I highly doubt there was any chance we would have.

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 22, 2015, 04:38:26 PM

There's a lot of clubs in both counties struggling to keep going and could do with a few quid. Are we so flush we can throw away 100,000 grand? Just saying. But if it has to be Salthill, Limerick, Portlaois, Croke Park or Breffni so be it.

sligoman

We'll play in Castlebar if they promise to give Parsons back.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2015, 04:45:35 PM

Where's this 'call' thing coming from? It's a neutral venue every time so it's never either team's call surely?

The reality of declining attendances means the Hyde would probably still be able to host everyone that will want to go to this game.

Be surprised if Sligo are bloody-minded enough to drag it to Salthill. I highly doubt there was any chance we would have.

Like I said, if it comes to a neutral venue, it is Mayo's turn to decide what neutral venue it will be. I thought I made that clear enough earlier. Sligo will have no say except on insisting on neutrality if they wish. I don t see Hyde as an option.

AZOffaly

But no matter who chooses the neutral corner, it has to be Salthill if that's the way it goes?

sans pessimism

Quote from: sligoman on June 22, 2015, 04:51:54 PM
Gave ye Jimmy K... n ye made fuk all useoom😉😉
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

SLIGONIAN

I personally feel we may as well not turn up if we agree to castlebar based on a bribe and that's what it would be in my eyes. Bribes are always based on greed and that would guarantee the result for mayo aswell so is it really worth it. Im sure our cb would probably want to but the manager and players will never agree to it imo.

I certainly am not turning up for the sake of it.

For me its guaranteed to be Salthill as the hyde is not big enough with new health and safety review, Connacht finals with Sligo have attracted 23,000+ consistently so I gladly take traffic issues to Salthill to play Mayo in Connacht final. If mayofans want to stay away I don't really care either.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 22, 2015, 04:53:23 PM

Like I said, if it comes to a neutral venue, it is Mayo's turn to decide what neutral venue it will be. I thought I made that clear enough earlier. Sligo will have no say except on insisting on neutrality if they wish. I don t see Hyde as an option.

But what I'm asking is if that's actually part of the arrangement? It makes no sense that it would be because when that was drawn up the only place Sligo or Mayo would ever choose for a neutral venue was the Hyde. I hadn't ever assumed the counties took turns choosing neutral venues.

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2015, 04:54:38 PM
But no matter who chooses the neutral corner, it has to be Salthill if that's the way it goes?

I don t think so. There is no precedent for it but I understand it doesn t have to be played in the province. Was there not an Armagh?Tyrone Ulster final played in CP.
There was no precedent for playing an AISF in Limerick either ;D

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2015, 04:59:48 PM

But what I'm asking is if that's actually part of the arrangement? It makes no sense that it would be because when that was drawn up the only place Sligo or Mayo would ever choose for a neutral venue was the Hyde. I hadnt ever assumed the counties took turns choosing neutral venues.

This is a 'home' game for us. We get to choose the venue as long as it is neutral. Even if the Hyde was available we would not necessarily have to go there. That is my understanding anyway.

macdanger2

Quote from: sligoman on June 22, 2015, 04:51:54 PM

Sound, so long as ye give us David Kelly back

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 22, 2015, 05:05:13 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2015, 04:59:48 PM

But what I'm asking is if that's actually part of the arrangement? It makes no sense that it would be because when that was drawn up the only place Sligo or Mayo would ever choose for a neutral venue was the Hyde. I hadnt ever assumed the counties took turns choosing neutral venues.

This is a 'home' game for us. We get to choose the venue as long as it is neutral. Even if the Hyde was available we would not necessarily have to go there. That is my understanding anyway.

Are you going off home-away arrangements for matches outside of Connacht finals though? Surely if a match between two teams is supposed to be always at a neutral venue there are no home sides or one county having more of a call on the venue than the other. This whole arrangement has always been clouded in a bit of fog..