American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 11, 2019, 04:21:50 PM
Quote from: declan85 on February 11, 2019, 04:13:18 PM
Those teams' records since 2002 when all games against the Pats are excluded read Bills 112-126, Jets 114-122, Dolphins 111-127.

I thought so. I hadn't the energy to look it up though.

Yes, I thought so as well. Glad that's clarified. They're crap.

Oraisteach

Well, the Browns have signed Kareem Hunt. . . .

Capt Pat

Hunt will have to serve a lengthy suspension. I believe he will get about 8 games.

cadhlancian

Those teams' records since 2002 when all games against the Pats are excluded read Bills 112-126, Jets 114-122, Dolphins 111-127.

And what ? Those are all more or less 500 when you would be talking about about that amount of games . All 3 teams were slightly below 500 in nearly 250 NFL games ....hardly the worst

cadhlancian

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 11, 2019, 04:36:03 PM

Yes, I thought so as well. Glad that's clarified. They're crap.
47%, 47% and 48%..... so far away from 50%...... but if Az thinks so....then it's true

cadhlancian

Very few divisions in the NFL would have teams with winning records over that time span. Look at the NFC north Seany? Only the Packers with a winning record. The bears next at nearly 20 games under 500.
The Jets went to the AFC championship twice and both the Bills and the Phins have both made the playoffs in recent years.

AZOffaly

Quote from: cadhlancian on February 12, 2019, 04:03:06 AM
Very few divisions in the NFL would have teams with winning records over that time span. Look at the NFC north Seany? Only the Packers with a winning record. The bears next at nearly 20 games under 500.
The Jets went to the AFC championship twice and both the Bills and the Phins have both made the playoffs in recent years.
I'm not having a go cadhlancian. I think I've said often that the Pats under this regime are incredible, an absolute anomaly especially in this salary cap and free agent era.

I was just surprised when you said the rest of the AFC East was .500.  Now I don't think the rest of the AFC East is rubbish, I just think it's average. And consistently average. Over a timespan like you've mentioned, most teams would be average, as you would expect.

I think the Pats would dominate every division, but the difference with the AFC East is the teams there appear to be consistently average. Over 17 years, the other divisions' teams are also average, but there's a much greater deviation from the average from year to year. I think that's why the AFC East gets a bad rap. The teams are always middle of the road, with a few notable exceptions as you've pointed out.

In contrast, the other divisions seem to flux every 2 or 3 years, so you have teams having a great season and really challenging, before falling away. That's why the other divisions seem to be much more competitive. Over 17 years there's minimal difference, but the highs are higher, and the lows are lower.

In the NFC West, all 4 teams have contested a Superbowl since 2002, some of them multiple times.
NFC North, all 4 teams have had big seasons, won the division, and 2 (I think) have been in Superbowls.
All 4 NFC south teams have contested Superbowls.
The NFC East has 2 Superbowl champions in that time, and all 4 have won the division.

AFC West, 2 Superbowl teams, and 2 regular division champions
AFC north, 2 Superbowl teams and a third team that has challenged seriously at times.
AFC South is probably the one closest to the AFC East in terms of superbowl challenges, in that it's really just the Colts that have contested superbowls, but I suppose the other 3 have competed well within the division. 

So while I think the AFC East is not full of pathetic teams, and the Pats are truly exceptional, I think the AFC East lacks the peaks and troughs the other divisions have, and so it has the perception that they are not competitive.

magpie seanie

Stats wrong again. Bears are 131-141 in the regular season for 2002 to 2018 inclusive. 3-3 in playoffs in that time. They'd be over or around .500 if you remove the Packers. Lost a Superbowl and and NFC Championship game, both they should arguably have won. Bears have been crap at times over that spell but better than the Dolphins, Jets and Bills comfortably. Packers have rarely strolled the division and have failed to make the playoffs a few times.

AZOffaly

That's my point. The rest of the divisions have teams that cycle into boom and bust. The AFC East has the consistently excellent Pats, and the consistently ho-hum (not rubbish) rest.

Cardinals since 2002 win totals are 5,4,6,5,5,8,9,10,5,8,5,10,11,13,7,8,3  A lot of rubbish, a few ho-hum and 3 or 4 very good seasons.

Dolphins are 9,10,4,9,6,1,11,7,7,6,7,8,8,6,10,6,7 - Started off well, then lapsed into a regular pattern of 6,7 or 8 wins
Bills 8,6,9,5,7,7,7,6,4,6,6,6,9,8,7,9,6, - The epitome of average
Jets 9,6,10,4,10,4,9,9,11,8,6,8,4,10,5,5,4 - In fairness a few bright spots, but again a lot of average stuff.

Gabriel_Hurl

Flacco traded to the Broncos

magpie seanie

Capt Pat

I would have gone for Foles if I was Elway. Foles would cost more but he would last longer.

Gmac

Throwing all the chips in with Jackson might not be the best strategy either teams seem to figure out to play against running qbs a lot faster than pocket passers.

cadhlancian

$27 million in cap for 2 QBs, neither of whom are your future...crazy