11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Dire Ear on July 07, 2017, 01:51:42 PM
http://www.irishnews.com/picturesarchive/irishnews/irishnews/2017/07/06/185715930-77e9412e-0cf7-4caa-9954-2b8d7cd53457.jpg
It's real, even if the photo makes it look closer than it really is

HOLY SHIT!!!! That is mental... £1.13 for a litre of diesel??!!! That's a quare price!!

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

OgraAnDun

http://www.irishnews.com/picturesarchive/irishnews/irishnews/2017/07/06/185715930-77e9412e-0cf7-4caa-9954-2b8d7cd53457.jpg

Yes and according to some of the Facebook comments, it's the fault of the owners of the petrol station and the council for allowing a petrol station to be built so close to the bonfire site.

Orior

I've seen young teenagers climbing up these bonfires and helping to build them.... wait for it..... without a hard hat on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where the heck is Health & Safety when you need them?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Taylor

Quote from: balladmaker on July 07, 2017, 01:36:17 PM
QuoteEvery year they build them bigger and in more stupid places. Eventually something is going to go badly wrong.

Has anyone seen the Sandy Row bonfire just off Great Victoria Street, right beside the Holiday Inn whose oil tank is right in the firing line?  I can't see how the Holiday Inn is going to escape untouched, surely the heat must at least damage their windows, if not worse.  These bonfire builders have no regard for property or safety, they've also no control of the embers that will land on the roof of neighbouring houses and businesses etc.  It wouldn't be accepted anywhere else but in the north, a ridiculous situation that the authorities seem to have no control over ... apart from storing pallets on their behalf.

Holiday Inn is afraid to complain as they will be targeted so they just keep quiet in the hope nothing happens.

Councillors wouldnt go in to clear it up as they would fear for their life.

Absolutely ludicrous

BennyCake

Quote from: Orior on July 07, 2017, 02:04:46 PM
I've seen young teenagers climbing up these bonfires and helping to build them.... wait for it..... without a hard hat on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where the heck is Health & Safety when you need them?

That's just put the er, tin hat on this whole charade!

Applesisapples

Lee Reynolds on Talkback was challenged about 55% of the population (closer to 49%) celebrating victory over the other 45%, if I heard him right say better to celebrate a victory unlike nationalists... he didn't get finishing it but i took it he meant unlike nationalists who can only celebrate defeat. Went unchallenged, but nothing new there when it comes to kultur.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on July 07, 2017, 02:01:16 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!! That is mental... £1.13 for a litre of diesel??!!! That's a quare price!!

They are trying to reduce the volume in their tanks before next Tuesday!

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 07, 2017, 02:02:23 PM

Surely they would listened to reason,  Near a pertrol station?

They would say that it isn't that close
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

The fact a petrol station is near is dangerous. That fire will be lit on 11th night should there be a wind straight towards the station. There will be no waiting til the next day for the wind to change.

general_lee

Quote from: T Fearon on July 06, 2017, 06:07:14 AM
Flags are Rags as my late Father was fond of saying.I simply don't let it annoy me.Deep down few if any unionists really trust the British.I still think they are best ignored,loyalists must love the reaction they get every year.
It's hard to ignore having to close your business if you're unfortunate enough to be on the main parade route. It's also hard to ignore being asked to "donate" towards the local bonfire children's activities. It's all well and good saying you don't let it annoy you, the reality is people are impacted by this, ask any trader in Belfast that isn't an off license.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on July 07, 2017, 03:19:15 PM
The fact a petrol station is near is dangerous. That fire will be lit on 11th night should there be a wind straight towards the station. There will be no waiting til the next day for the wind to change.

It is 100m away, but there are trees on that side of the road and it is south-west of the petrol station, which is the prevailing wind.

Fuzzman

Does anyone know where that petrol station is? Is it owned by a catholic by any chance?

I'm totally amazed that they allowed them to build the bonfire there so close to the road and surely those trees are all gonna go up in flames. Do the fire brigade or cops not have any influence on where they build them.

I wonder what the foreign tourists in Days hotel make of it all or do people know to stay away those "Days"

It will be interesting to see does the British Media take more interest in the 12th this year as a lot of them seem to be shocked what goes on over in the North.

I've been out of the North for 20 years now and I don't think I've ever saw a live 11th night bonfire.
Have any of ye ever walked down to one for a look or is it a no go area for most?

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on July 07, 2017, 06:17:51 AM
While generally I think it would be better if the OO didn't exist,I think they are unfairly maligned on this thread.The parading tradition and culture has been there for decades and as even SF will tell you,the vast majority of parades are non contentious.I don't believe the average Orangeman hates Catholics or looks down his nose at them.I know a lot of members,even do business with a member,and without exception the ones I know are friendly and courteous.

Neither do I believe the majority who attend parades do so to be triumphalist or gloat.For most it's just a family day out.

The OO needs to withdraw completely from the political arena and concentrate solely on religious matters.

Sweet Holy F**k  ::)

seafoid

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 07, 2017, 02:24:37 PM
Lee Reynolds on Talkback was challenged about 55% of the population (closer to 49%) celebrating victory over the other 45%, if I heard him right say better to celebrate a victory unlike nationalists... he didn't get finishing it but i took it he meant unlike nationalists who can only celebrate defeat. Went unchallenged, but nothing new there when it comes to kultur.
The only reason King Billy is remembered is because until him the settlement project was very fragile.
An awful lot of Ulster settlers left and headed for America to become rednecks and Republican voters
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2017, 04:35:15 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 07, 2017, 02:24:37 PM
The only reason King Billy is remembered is because until him the settlement project was very fragile.
An awful lot of Ulster settlers left and headed for America to become rednecks and Republican voters

Perhaps Trump could be persuaded to have special visa scheme for those left behind?