11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Its madness to be fair, but having worked on the Shankill for a right few years and teaching that age group, thats all they live for!! the bands the bony, the 12th, Rangers and Wet Wet Wet !! They generally cop on and most move away from it altogether but its a way of life unfortuately...

I'd say the numbers are dropping each year and eventually it will burn out (pun intended) a bit like the poppy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

You think it will burn out MR?

My experience is many of them hold onto the tradition and even now many in the middle third or second half of their lives still live for this week.

No holidays of any sort planned as they would miss the celebrations.

And their kids are going the same way unfortunately

johnneycool

Quote from: AQMP on July 11, 2017, 12:26:43 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on July 11, 2017, 12:07:33 PM
the question is why do people build houses beside bonfire sites?? the man in the clip has a point  ;D ;D

https://youtu.be/h9K_hMsrwRA

Always good to hear David Dunderhead again, I think he was actually serious.  Judging by his accent he's a blow-in to East Belfast.

What pisses me off is that they all get a couple of £K grants and not a word about the cost to clean up, repair the roads, boarding up houses and so forth.

Orior

So has Sinn Fein encouraged the growth of the bonfires and the Twelfth?

Here's a few snippets from the 1960's (or 1970's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyLJeZF9TnU&t=99s
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BennyCake

the question is why do people build houses beside bonfire sites?? the man in the clip has a point  ;D ;D

Show that on TV in England, and the English will demand a border poll - to get this cesspit off their hands.

And Sinn Fein can sit back and not have to do a thing.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 11, 2017, 01:02:48 PM
Its madness to be fair, but having worked on the Shankill for a right few years and teaching that age group, thats all they live for!! the bands the bony, the 12th, Rangers and Wet Wet Wet !! They generally cop on and most move away from it altogether but its a way of life unfortuately...

I'd say the numbers are dropping each year and eventually it will burn out (pun intended) a bit like the poppy

The quicker they burn out the better. I work with 3/4 youths from Ballymena, just out of school and thats all they want to do, bonys band parades and flutes! Super Prods as we call them, Linfield, Chelsea, Rangers and flegs!!! Sad to be honest.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on July 11, 2017, 01:06:49 PM

My experience is many of them hold onto the tradition and even now many in the middle third or second half of their lives still live for this week.

It's 99% an estate thing, and from my experience of seeing these lads they generally go on hols during that time.

I bumped into an ex student of mine from Carrick the other night, said the usual hows things and you still working away, 23 years old and has girlfriend and kid on the way and is taking himself off from the madness, his words... Another ex student who uses the same gym is off to Spain for a few days, not even a week, just so that he's away... to me the same lads would have been in the class drumming away on their pencils from May!

Look thats only 2 cases but people will eventually cop on, we couldnt bomb Britian into getting a united Ireland, so the train of thought is that lighting bonfires and creating flashpoints at nationalist areas wont get them what they want either, some people take longer to grow up

The more peole ignore these things the better, mentioned a few years ago that I took my dad away for a city break to Derry, managed to be there for the burning of Lundy in the city (pure fluke), so its done just off the main part of town centre and not one person took it under  their noticed, we just happened to drive pass it while it was burning and the taxi man just shurgged his shoulders and said no one cares or gives it any oxygen... I'm sure someone from Derry will say something different but thats what a local cabbie had said
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gabriel_Hurl

Kilkevan

Quote from: BennyCake on July 11, 2017, 01:42:14 PM

Show that on TV in England, and the English will demand a border poll - to get this cesspit off their hands.

And Sinn Fein can sit back and not have to do a thing.

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 11, 2017, 02:04:25 PM
"Culture"

"Scott Sinclair loves bananas"... dear God, in this day and age there's still morons who think that's funny.

Try listening to him saying "yes, I'm a supporter of bonfires" with a straight face  ;D.

general_lee

I don't think blatant sectarianism and racism should go unchallenged but that's just my opinion. Maybe if we all turn a blind eye they'll stop?

armaghniac

Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2017, 03:09:45 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 07, 2017, 02:01:16 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!! That is mental... £1.13 for a litre of diesel??!!! That's a quare price!!

They are trying to reduce the volume in their tanks before next Tuesday!

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 07, 2017, 02:02:23 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on July 07, 2017, 01:51:42 PM
http://www.irishnews.com/picturesarchive/irishnews/irishnews/2017/07/06/185715930-77e9412e-0cf7-4caa-9954-2b8d7cd53457.jpg
It's real, even if the photo makes it look closer than it really is

Surely they would listened to reason,  Near a pertrol station?

They would say that it isn't that close

And up she goes, premature ejaculation. 
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/watch-set-alight-bonfire-built-close-to-northern-ireland-petrol-station-35917048.html
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Avondhu star

Quote from: Taylor on July 11, 2017, 01:06:49 PM

Wouldn't agree about the no holidays bit.
Check out a few of the Rangers crew in Benidorm etc with their Twelfth marches
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

red hander

Quote from: general_lee on July 11, 2017, 03:33:05 PM
I don't think blatant sectarianism and racism should go unchallenged but that's just my opinion. Maybe if we all turn a blind eye they'll stop?

Ah, the Fearon Theory raises its ugly head again  ;)

Aaron Boone

Stay safe for those of you attending tonght. Please listen carefully to the health & safety announcement as you gather for the festivities.

yellowcard

This so called culture is not the fault of the young teenagers and unemployed people liviing in working class loyalist areas. They know no different and are encouraged by their older peers to get involved in this bizarre expression of culture. They have been given no direction from their political representatives who have done nothing to discourage these health hazards. My guess is that it will take a serious injury, or worse still a fatality to put an end to these bonfires.

When you have village idiots like Jamie Bryson whipping up young vulnerable people into a frenzy and going unchallenged by unionist leaders, it does nothing to try and keep emotions on an even keel. The poisonous attitude that this hate filled sectarian, racist fest helps create is a blight on any forward thinking society.

Not to mention the cost involved in constructing these bonfires and seeing them literally go up in smoke. That money would be much better channeller into youth groups and societies to take these young people from disadvantaged areas off the streets.