Niall McNamee's Gambling Problem

Started by brokencrossbar1, January 09, 2012, 10:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Minder on January 13, 2012, 01:41:05 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on January 13, 2012, 01:34:55 PM
Not in any way to comment on this case but I am just wondering about the wider implication of sports betting and Gaelic Footballers or Hurlers having the ability to bet on something that they can have an affect in the outcome. We can see the trouble that cricket find themselves in, are we just a step away from something similar?

It has happened before, it just hasn't been uncovered. Anybody tha thinks it doesent happen is very naive. Not saying its widespread though.

There were deep suspicions surrounding a football league fixture in the last ten years and a county who had won the AI recently at the time. Large amounts of money were staked on a particular outcome, which happened in the end.

Tony Baloney

Not in any way to comment on this case but I am just wondering about the wider implication of sports betting and Gaelic Footballers or Hurlers having the ability to bet on something that they can have an affect in the outcome. We can see the trouble that cricket find themselves in, are we just a step away from something similar?

It has happened before, it just hasn't been uncovered. Anybody tha thinks it doesent happen is very naive. Not saying its widespread though.
MR2, you haven't have you?

Milltown Row2

They never offered handicap odds!!! hopefully your club might get into a position were they are taking bets on the outcome Tony ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: heffo on January 13, 2012, 02:01:31 PM

There were deep suspicions surrounding a football league fixture in the last ten years and a county who had won the AI recently at the time. Large amounts of money were staked on a particular outcome, which happened in the end.

Was it a MOM issue?
MWWSI 2017

Armaghgael

I have heard of supporters of a club paying a player not to score
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

heffo

Quote from: muppet on January 13, 2012, 05:13:30 PM

Was it a MOM issue?

No!

muppet

Quote from: heffo on January 13, 2012, 05:28:19 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 13, 2012, 05:13:30 PM

Was it a MOM issue?

No!

Different game then.

(I should have said MOTM btw).
MWWSI 2017

galwayman

Hmmm Galway vs Wexford in the league in Tuam Stadium a good few years back is perhaps the game being hinted at?

heffo

Quote from: galwayman on January 13, 2012, 06:02:43 PM
Hmmm Galway vs Wexford in the league in Tuam Stadium a good few years back is perhaps the game being hinted at?

Why on earth would you think that?

imtommygunn

What are you basing this on?

Maybe it goes on and maybe it doesn't - I don't know. I find it hard to believe it goes on in championship. *Maybe* in smaller games.

LilySavage

I know of an O'Byrne Cup Shield game a couple of years ago that was fixed,one of the teams threw the game , they were favourites before the match.Think the team who won were 5/4.

The Worker

Quote from: LilySavage on January 16, 2012, 09:54:40 AM
I know of an O'Byrne Cup Shield game a couple of years ago that was fixed,one of the teams threw the game , they were favourites before the match.Think the team who won were 5/4.

much did u have on it then?