Deaths while abroad

Started by Never beat the deeler, November 26, 2015, 05:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

I'm sure most of you have heard of the sad, tragic deaths of 2 x Irish lads on a construction site here in Perth yesterday (Wed).

To those of us living away, it is our worst nightmare, the thought of our own loved ones getting that phone call in the middle of the night. I'm sure its the same for those sitting at home wondering if that call is going to come.

Unfortunately I have recently had some very close dealing with the Claddagh Association (who were assisted by the Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust) and I realised the extent that these people help at the time of most need. They were a dream to deal with.

The following is taken from the Claddagh Association Facebook page, as it is already public I hope it is OK to share here. I have no association with Claddagh or KBRT.

"MEDIA RELEASE – CLADDAGH ASSOCIATION INC
The Committee of the Claddagh Association Inc in Western Australia wish to extend to the families, friends and colleagues of the two young Irish men killed in a workplace accident in Perth on Wednesday 25 November 2015 their deepest sympathies. May they rest in peace.
This was tragic accident which is subject to an ongoing investigation so we are not in a position to comment any further at this time.
We also offer our sincere condolences to the families and friends of the other people who have recently lost their lives here in Perth. We will continue to offer our support however we will not be commenting on specific cases.
The Claddagh Association is a not for profit organisation and we rely heavily on the support of the Irish community in Perth and WA to help us to continue our work. We receive a grant from the Emigrant Support Program (From Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Ireland) for administrative costs, so 100% of our donations go directly to help our clients. We are grateful for all the support we receive.
If you or a friend requires support as a result of recent events, please contact us via email at support@claddagh.org.au.
About
The Claddagh Association Inc. has assisted Irish people during times of crisis and trauma since 1997 throughout Western Australia. Our aim is to assist where possible the entire Irish community in Western Australia in times of crisis, ensuring both the young and older Irish community have access to appropriate and valued support services. We provide a safety net to assist people in crisis situations where all other avenues have been exhausted.
We are a voluntary non-profit organisation with Gift Recipient Status. Our committee is made of a small group of volunteers whom all hold fulltime jobs while assisting the Claddagh.
www.claddagh.org.au
https://www.facebook.com/Claddagh-Association-369242429927.../
For any general enquiries please contact our Media Liaison - Liz O'Hagan on 0419 767 004."
Hasta la victoria siempre

omaghjoe

Terrible news about the two young lads, Parents nightmare, may they rest in peace.

Tony Baloney

Was just going to post on this. 5 Irish deaths in Perth alone in the last week.

JPGJOHNNYG

Not one day passes without news of a death abroad. It shows the ex-pat community to be huge but its still a shock every time

AlriteHorse

5?

There was a young lad from Galway killed about 3 weeks ago in a road accident and then the two lads yesterday. Can't say I'm aware of any others unless I've missed something.

Terrible news yesterday with many workmates witnessing it happen also.
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

illdecide

Quote from: AlriteHorse on November 26, 2015, 07:58:10 AM
5?

There was a young lad from Galway killed about 3 weeks ago in a road accident and then the two lads yesterday. Can't say I'm aware of any others unless I've missed something.

Terrible news yesterday with many workmates witnessing it happen also.

Yeah a lad from Craigavon (Haughey) was killed earlier in the week in Perth too...Shocking stuff...must be any parents worst nightmare hearing that phone ring in the middle of the night
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

imtommygunn

That Kevin Bell repatriation trust seems to do some great work round this which at least is something.

Awful sad to see that and could happen to anyone.

Keyser soze

I heard Colin Bell on the radio this morning talking about the work the trust does, some of it in close harmony with the Claddagh Association, sounds like a truly wonderful organisation.

Yes it appears there were 5 deaths in the Irish ex pat community in Perth over the last week. Apart from the 2 lads yesterday, [RIP], there was a further construction related accident, a car accident and a sudden illness death also.

Must be an absolute nightmare for the families to get that call. The wee lad from Omagh had only gone out there a month ago.

JPGJOHNNYG

9 in 3 weeks in Perth, thats crazy

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsa/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//news/2015/11/26/news/nine-irish-deaths-in-perth-in-just-three-weeks-334051/content.html

whiskeysteve

I knew one of the 2 fellas who lost their lives on the construction site and his loss is a real shock to so many people on the North coast. He was widely known and liked by everyone who knew him, a nicer more friendly fella you could not meet, and his facebook is awash with 100s of tributes to it. Deeply sad 48 hours to so many people up home and I am so gutted for his family - Mum, Dad, 2 brothers and a sister. Friends and family are over there now and it is a terrible situation for all concerned.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

JoG2

so sorry to hear that Whiskey, a terrible tragedy. RIP to the young men

Mickey Linden

Sorry to hear of your loss WhiskeySteve. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

Walter Cronc

Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 26, 2015, 11:29:39 AM
I knew one of the 2 fellas who lost their lives on the construction site and his loss is a real shock to so many people on the North coast. He was widely known and liked by everyone who knew him, a nicer more friendly fella you could not meet, and his facebook is awash with 100s of tributes to it. Deeply sad 48 hours to so many people up home and I am so gutted for his family - Mum, Dad, 2 brothers and a sister. Friends and family are over there now and it is a terrible situation for all concerned.

Sorry for everyone up your way WS. Is he a brother of Gregory who does the gyms?

Milltown Row2

My younger brother is out there and when you first hear of a construction death (he's bricklaying) you shudder with the thought that it's him!! terrible and if there are problems with H&S what's being done about it? probably now is not the time to discuss this sort of stuff and my condolences go out to all of those families and friends who have recently lost love ones..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 26, 2015, 01:30:00 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 26, 2015, 11:29:39 AM

Sorry for everyone up your way WS. Is he a brother of Gregory who does the gyms?

That's correct Walter.

I have heard the cost of getting the body home and it is unbelievable. There is now a big effort on to raise funds among the community at home and with the families of the 5 Irish dead in Perth facing the same struggles this week I may start another thread if that is OK to raise awareness and support on here.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w