Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Orchard park on April 16, 2018, 03:35:38 PM
In Dublin I believe the county board assigns the schools to each club and then that clubs GPO can only attend those schools......

co board needs to take over inter club bickering and work out a system that will maximise the numbers playing irrespective of what club.

Don't see any issue with Bredagh's fees at all

Carryduff you mean!

Compared to some South Dublin clubs I'm sure it does seem reasonable but then again hurling isn't seen as a working class sport in a lot of those areas.

I know we couldn't ask for such memberships and hope to have any youngsters come through the gates.

Orchard park

Quote from: johnnycool on April 16, 2018, 04:34:02 PM
In Dublin I believe the county board assigns the schools to each club and then that clubs GPO can only attend those schools......

co board needs to take over inter club bickering and work out a system that will maximise the numbers playing irrespective of what club.

Carryduff you mean!

Compared to some South Dublin clubs I'm sure it does seem reasonable but then again hurling isn't seen as a working class sport in a lot of those areas.

I know we couldn't ask for such memberships and hope to have any youngsters come through the gates.

Carryduff i meant........Bredagh are £70

90% of all dublin clubs would be at this rate and more I believe. Clubs only charge what its costing to run the show presumably

Is there a parish rule in Antrim and Down ??

Jinxy

Quote from: general_lee on April 16, 2018, 03:49:40 PM
Find it borderline ridiculous that a club can go from winning the minor championship last year to not fielding a minor team this year. Is there no lower grade they could enter and play 13-aside?

My experience of playing Belfast teams at u16 and minor back in the day in challenge games is that they always had big numbers, the players were all bigger, there was always one player that looked about 30 and they always told you that they didn't even have their full team cos half the panel played were away with antrim.

We had the same craic playing challenge games against Dublin teams.
Plenty of lads called 'Anto' that looked like they were out on day release from Mountjoy.
You'd be wary of going too far ahead of them in case they might get 'bored'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Orchard park on April 16, 2018, 04:36:22 PM

Carryduff you mean!

90% of all dublin clubs would be at this rate and more I believe. Clubs only charge what its costing to run the show presumably

Most Dublin clubs, certainly the bigger dual ones, would be close to €200 for juveniles. Their academys would be close to €100. Pitch hire for all these kids is an expensive business.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

trailer

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 17, 2018, 09:25:48 AM

Carryduff you mean!

Most Dublin clubs, certainly the bigger dual ones, would be close to €200 for juveniles. Their academys would be close to €100. Pitch hire for all these kids is an expensive business.

I think these costs are incredible. But then if it is expensive for pitches etc. I always loved that our games were more or less free. £5 or £10 yearly membership. Surely these costs are prohibitive to lots of families? If you have 3 or 4 children at €200 a pop, plus boots, jerseys, shorts etc. It would work into almost a €1000 for the year?

Orchard park

All would obviously do family memberships so it could be capped at say 400 or 450

competitor team sports all charge more....

None of those clubs are putting it away in savings accounts so I presume they try to match membership fees to operational expenses

johnnycool

Carryduff you mean!

In Rural Down, by and large there is a parish rule, not sure how the likes of Newry operate with more than one club in it. Most largish towns have only one club, i.e Downpatrick, Newcastle, Warrenpoint, Castlewellan etc, etc.
In theory Carryduff and Bredagh would be separate parishes but I'm sure there's a cross over depending on who lives where.
There could be the odd exceptions that I'm not aware of.

Orchard park

Thanks Johnny

every county seems to differ but weaker clubs to my eyes suffer most where no parish rule exists

johnnycool

Quote from: Orchard park on April 17, 2018, 10:45:47 AM
Thanks Johnny

every county seems to differ but weaker clubs to my eyes suffer most where no parish rule exists

Can still be abused as the caravan's have been pitched up in certain area's to obtain transfers in the past  ;)

Orchard park

agreed but at least makes it harder.....

has to be very disheartening for small clubs to end up as feeder for a small number of elite clubs in any county

Dinny Breen

Parish rule where it exists is one of the best things about the GAA. In rugby and soccer it can be a free for all and one of the biggest factors in participation numbers dropping off.
#newbridgeornowhere

Orchard park

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 17, 2018, 11:07:49 AM
Parish rule where it exists is one of the best things about the GAA. In rugby and soccer it can be a free for all and one of the biggest factors in participation numbers dropping off.

coming from a county which practises it and try to coach and admin in counties which dont I am in full agreement with you

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on April 17, 2018, 11:20:00 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 17, 2018, 11:07:49 AM

coming from a county which practises it and try to coach and admin in counties which dont I am in full agreement with you

Absolutely.

Orchard park

this can never survive, posters agreeing with each other :D

Jinxy

Bunch of spoofers.
If you were any use you'd be playing.