Dialect test

Started by armaghniac, February 15, 2019, 03:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Pegged together - Monaghan & Cavan.
I'm embarrased.
If only it had a question on a description of bad weather which had the option of
"shockin', it's a tarror"

thebuzz

It wasn't accurate for me. Don't know where I went wrong. Just showed Ulster.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thebuzz on February 17, 2019, 09:04:25 PM
It wasn't accurate for me. Don't know where I went wrong. Just showed Ulster.
Usually names a town. I have only seen variations of Omagh, Lisburn, Belfast or Derry.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on February 17, 2019, 07:26:58 PM
Pegged together - Monaghan & Cavan.
I'm embarrased.
If only it had a question on a description of bad weather which had the option of
"shockin', it's a tarror"

Don't be embarrassed lad, we can't choose or parents and we can't choose where we are from. There are worse places than monaghan such as North Korea and Meath

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on February 17, 2019, 03:21:59 PM
What is the story with snails? There was a question on snails and all of Britain and Ireland was dark red for "snail" except for Waterford and south Tipp.

Noticed that also

Taylor

Enjoyed that.

Ended up Londonderry. Embarassed for everyone belonging to me

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omaghjoe

BTW guddies (not gutties!) to me were always the rubber soled black shoes, were as the sports shoe was always runners

Omagh townies would call the actual runners guddies.

Also a townie is not necessarily a derogatory term and defo not necessarily a lower class person, it could apply to the golfers types also. Basically someone who wasnt into farming or cars, was a bit showy and soft on the football field and called it "Gaelic".
The lower class types would be "skiprats" or "townie scumbags"

.... and alot of Omagh wans would call their Granny "Nan" thats got to be a garrison hangover that one

imtommygunn

I would have had townie down as a derogatory term. Pretty much like Culchie really from the other side.

Sheugh Water

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 18, 2019, 08:41:18 PM
BTW guddies (not gutties!) to me were always the rubber soled black shoes, were as the sports shoe was always runners

Also a townie is not necessarily a derogatory term and defo not necessarily a lower class person, it could apply to the golfers types also. Basically someone who wasnt into farming or cars, was a bit showy and soft on the football field and called it "Gaelic".

.... and alot of Omagh wans would call their Granny "Nan" thats got to be a garrison hangover that one

In Derry City runners has more and more become the normal word for sports shoes, but up until 90s it was always slippers and is still used for sports shoes.

Skiprat, hood, sc**bag or strabane man the words used for lower class types

armaghniac

It doesn't have Brit or Down person as derogatory terms.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Owen Brannigan

Definitely gutties - just your spelling was a bit too phonetical.

Townies is a derogatory term in Omagh when used by those living in the surrounding countryside or by core non-Omagh GAA types or the culchies.  It indicated people who were a seen to not have the backbone and core that the culchies had themselves. It's the derision often directed at Omagh ones who played soccer and football or didn't glorify a culchie lifestyle.  Used in school by culchie GAA teachers in directing insult to those who lived in the town or played for the town GAA teams when finding ways not to pick them for school teams. Look for how long it took for Omagh players to breakthrough onto underage and then senior football teams.  Same happened in Dungannon. 

Never heard the term Skiprat ever used in Omagh to describe anyone and rarely heard or hear Nan being used for Granny except with women who think they are too young to be grannies.

Farrandeelin

Is trainers a Fermanagh term? First time I heard that used for runners was when I met my wife.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

No I would use it too. I think even Scottish people use it.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 19, 2019, 07:40:36 AM

Definitely gutties - just your spelling was a bit too phonetical.

Townies is a derogatory term in Omagh when used by those living in the surrounding countryside or by core non-Omagh GAA types or the culchies.  It indicated people who were a seen to not have the backbone and core that the culchies had themselves. It's the derision often directed at Omagh ones who played soccer and football or didn't glorify a culchie lifestyle.  Used in school by culchie GAA teachers in directing insult to those who lived in the town or played for the town GAA teams when finding ways not to pick them for school teams. Look for how long it took for Omagh players to breakthrough onto underage and then senior football teams.  Same happened in Dungannon. 

Never heard the term Skiprat ever used in Omagh to describe anyone and rarely heard or hear Nan being used for Granny except with women who think they are too young to be grannies.

"Didnt glorify a culchie lifestyle"  :D :D :D no bias there ;) Looks like the townies take more insult to "townie" that what is meant aww bless. I'd imagine the Dublin road types dont like being thrown into the same box as Strathroy

Omagh wans were always more into soccer when I was at school and would get picked more often for the school teams as they were usually a bit flashier and talked each other up all the time. The break thru of players is more to do with GAA being taken seriously in schools, the success of the county senior team, and the demise of soccer in the town.
I dont think there was any of them picked for the 97/98 minors despite being at the trials so it wasnt like they didnt get a chance

My spelling was to phonetical  ;D ;D...... Im glad to have rectified that problem.

Skiprat was used all the time often by Omagh wans, not sure on its popularity now