Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

I just have a bad feeling for everyone else in the Division that the Dubs will get their shit together and clean house. It depends on how early they bring back the big guns. McCaffrey and Mannion (although he is not back to full fitness?) are huge boosts needless to say.

Surely Derry will be a lot more settled than say Meath and Cork who are bedding in new managers. And Kildare could be awful or great. The first game could be a write-off so we will see what happens after that.

Of course, Division 2 can be a basket case so who knows. Clare are a very good side on their day, plus Louth will be building too.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

tbrick18

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 17, 2023, 01:19:08 PM
Quote from: God14 on January 17, 2023, 12:46:13 PM
It is Gallaghers 4th season, until now the progression year on year has been tangible
It gets much harder from here on though.
Successive promotions, then stalled last year in Division 2... until Derry pulled off a major coup winning the Anglo Celt.
Defending Ulster will be difficult. The element of suprise is gone. Teams will be prepared now for the Donegal '12 tactics.
Derry wont be allowed to play on the counter attack so easily, plus the manic intensity evident last year is difficult to sustain
In order to maintain the trajectory into next season i think Gallagher really needs to get promoted.
I cant see anything other than Dublin winning Div2. So playing for second spot
Kildare is the only team i feel that will put that under threat.

Derry should get promoted, they have a proven defence and midfield.
Their options in the forward line appear to be improving with Niall Toner, Lachlan Murray & Ben McCarron starting the year well.

1st Dublin, 2nd Derry
I think that's lazy enough analysis.

On the 3 players mentioned - Toner has done well in the McKenna cup, Murray has been a bit up and down but obviously has talent and McCarron has been poor in a Derry jersey to be honest.

I agree Derry have progressed year on year since Gallagher came in, but really the first two years are hard to gauge with Covid. Last year was the first normal season so I still think it's early in the development under Gallagher. Gallagher took over when we were at our lowest in 20 years so he really has moved things right direction.

The comparison between Donegal '12 and Derry is inevitable given Gallagher's involvement, but these are two different teams with different strengths and weaknesses.
Derry's tactics are the same as the majority of teams now. Tyrone play that way, Kerry to an extent, Galway did it last year. So you could compare everyone with Donegal '12 if comparing Derry to them.

Toner has looked really good the the McKenna cup and I think Murray has come on massively since last year. Ben McCarron is starting to get some time on the field but it looks a bit early for him. But we've played a new full back all the way through the McKenna cup and he's been strong. An entirely new midfield pairing too which has looked different. So Gallagher has been testing options around positioning and shape. Time will tell if that is for the better. We still have the Glen contingent to come back in, including two of the best footballers in the country in Conor Glass and Ethan Doherty.
It's early, but Derry seem to have strengthened the panel without making wholesale changes which can only be a good thing.

Dublin are the team to beat, but until we are a game or two in we won't really know how they or any of the teams are in relation to each other.

Walter Cronc

If Derry can get a tune out of Oisin McWilliams and Paudie Tad that will be huge. They weren't fit last year. Murray the best young forward we've produced in a while!

tbrick18

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 17, 2023, 02:35:27 PM
If Derry can get a tune out of Oisin McWilliams and Paudie Tad that will be huge. They weren't fit last year. Murray the best young forward we've produced in a while!

Yep.
And Danny Tallon might be worth a call up after Glen's exploits too.

harryR

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 17, 2023, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 17, 2023, 02:35:27 PM

Yep.
And Danny Tallon might be worth a call up after Glen's exploits too.

He is definitely good enough, however after leaving the panel and with rumours Gallagher was not happy he left ..I sadly can't see it

Captain Scarlet

When do the panels have to be named?
In Kildare we have no word from the camp and since we dropped out of the OB Cup it's all challenge games.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Wildweasel74

If you Comparing Donegal '12 and Derry, they had 3 consistent scoring forwards, Murphy, McBearty, McFadden. We got 1. Otherwise both teams are comparable.

Armagh18

What are the chances McFaul comes back to Derry this year?

Any of the Glen forwards come in and do a job for Derry?

Wildweasel74

E Bradley should be starting, not sure what Gallagher sees not starting him, saying we get hammered on the long ball at Midfield, otherwise try Tohill there as he's not a forward.

seanyb

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 19, 2023, 11:06:10 PM
E Bradley should be starting, not sure what Gallagher sees not starting him, saying we get hammered on the long ball at Midfield, otherwise try Tohill there as he's not a forward.

Emmett has opted out of the squad for 2023.

tbrick18

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 19, 2023, 10:57:02 PM

No idea what the chances are for McFaul. It will all depend on the outcome of legal proceedings in the US and it's anyone's guess what will happen there.

Danny Tallon from Glen I think would be a good addition for Derry, but not sure if him and Gallagher see eye-to-eye.
Realistically there's bound to be a couple more players from Glen in mix, at least as panel players. Glass, Doherty and Tallon are probably the stand out options.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on January 20, 2023, 09:24:52 AM

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2023/01/17/news/no_return_for_mcfaul_for_final_charged_with_assault_battery_under_strict_bail_conditions_in_boston-3002312/
Jaysus. Imagine marking someone wearing an ankle monitor lol

Is there no one with contacts could get him smuggled home on a container ship🤣

general_lee

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 20, 2023, 11:22:58 AM

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2023/01/17/news/no_return_for_mcfaul_for_final_charged_with_assault_battery_under_strict_bail_conditions_in_boston-3002312/

A Craigavon Rolex  ;D

Brendan

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 20, 2023, 11:22:58 AM

I'm sure the boys down the road in Bellaghy could help but would would they give Glen any more advantages over them 👀