Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: hardstation on August 03, 2018, 03:14:53 PM
Though, if you were to count up incidents of racial intimidation and violence, the balance would weigh a lot heavier on one side I'd imagine?

Very possibly but it isn't exclusive.  Part of that is more sectarianism than racism particularly with Polish but they are pretty much the same thing anyway.

Stinks either way.

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2018, 04:21:24 PM
But hey, I wouldnt be looking at who does it the most, its not a competition to see who hates who the most... Its funny that most of the people that moved here more or less moved into the traditional protestant areas.. Now its seems to be even enough over all areas, so we may well see more of it on both sides! Hope not

People moved into Protestant areas because there is property available there as population declines as Protestants move to outer suburbs, Catholic areas are bunged and the people cannot safely move to the Protestant areas.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

I would change the word protestant to loyalist there.

The Shankill and sandy rowe are loyalist areas. Catholics couldn't move there.

Places like upper Newtownards road and Dundonald could arguably be classed as protestant areas. Catholics can move to most of either of these two places with no issues.

imtommygunn

I should also add Lisburn to that. Very much a growing Catholic population and a much improved football(of the gaelic variety...) team.

red hander

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 03, 2018, 06:51:07 PM

Places like upper Newtownards road and Dundonald could arguably be classed as protestant areas. Catholics can move to most of either of these two places with no issues.

Aye, as long as they keep their heads down

imtommygunn

"Themmuns" are not that bad when you're not dealing with the extreme end. 

Same on both sides more towards middle ground.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on August 03, 2018, 06:26:03 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2018, 04:21:24 PM
But hey, I wouldnt be looking at who does it the most, its not a competition to see who hates who the most... Its funny that most of the people that moved here more or less moved into the traditional protestant areas.. Now its seems to be even enough over all areas, so we may well see more of it on both sides! Hope not

People moved into Protestant areas because there is property available there as population declines as Protestants move to outer suburbs, Catholic areas are bunged and the people cannot safely move to the Protestant areas.

Plenty people from were I lived have moved out! But I must admit someone from south Armagh who lives in the south would know how it's actually panned out in Belfast
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 03, 2018, 06:51:07 PM

Couple of months ago, I saw a guy with a couple of hurls in his hand strolling past the Stormont Hotel one afternoon. In the good old days, you would have said he had a death wish. Times have changed obviously but I still wouldn't be that brave!

omaghjoe

Thread hijack anyone?

I cant really see how May is gonna get her proposals through Parliament with the Brexiteers in full revolt. Unless Labour go for it... but thats pretty unlikely.

In that case what are her options: no confidence showdown? resignation? GE? or a referendum on Checkers?

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 03, 2018, 10:24:46 PM
Thread hijack anyone?

I cant really see how May is gonna get her proposals through Parliament with the Brexiteers in full revolt. Unless Labour go for it... but thats pretty unlikely.

In that case what are her options: no confidence showdown? resignation? GE? or a referendum on Checkers?
The EU and everyone in the Tory party other than the Brexit heads are on the same side. They want a functioning UK economy.Brexit is about destroying the UK economy , especially anything linked to Government spending on people. No food protection, no NHS, no unemployment support. Total laissez faire. Losers get nothing

The only answer is to isolate the Brexit ultras and destroy them. This cannot be done by October.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

the other side story is that it looks like anti corbyn people are trying to destroy him with this anti semite stuff. (which I firmly believe is purely made up political opportunism). I expect an attempt to push him out soon.

I would say May has to go soon. I'd be surprised if she is still there by christmas. She is well on her way to no deal.

Dougal Maguire

And who do you see as being better than her in getting a reasonable deal? What's happening is pure fascism. The Governor of the Bank of England gives his analysis, based on experience and evidence, and he's accused of promoting Project Fear. It's haywire.
Careful now

imtommygunn

No one  :(

She will pretty much take a fall. Whoever took over from Cameron took on a poisoned chalice.

tiempo

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 04, 2018, 10:26:42 AM
And who do you see as being better than her in getting a reasonable deal? What's happening is pure fascism. The Governor of the Bank of England gives his analysis, based on experience and evidence, and he's accused of promoting Project Fear. It's haywire.

Don't watch much mainstream news but saw BBC at 9 or 10 last night. Was absolutley astounded that Project Fear was referred to in the main headline that the Guv of BoE shared his view. Wouldnt be surprised if Boris is writing the headlines at this stage.

Dougal Maguire

Yesterday's comments came from Peter Bone MP. You would walk a long mile before finding a more vile creature.
Careful now