A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No wides

Because everything is about economics now not politics, and T Fearon rightly states the Irish Government couldn't afford the North especially as it is a false economy with the British Government paying the majority of wages to inept, inefficient civil servants.

T Fearon

Seafoid I was at a Brexit conference in Newry recently.A Sinn Fein mEP asked Bertie if a Brexit wasnt an opportunity for a United Ireland.Bertie more or less told her to catch herself on and that consent was necessary blah blah.That reflects the southern attitude.Unity is not wanted and not affordable.As Professor John A Murphy,Cork, said not too long ago,the citizens of the south should be on their knees thanking God they dont have to sort out parading disputes etc
Can't say I blame them to be honest.

general_lee

Yet it is with the very people at the heart of these disputes that you want to forge a shared identity with? We can't get mutual respect yet here you are advocating that we all join hands and form some new national identity. Mind boggling.

Rossfan

Why don't the 50% of the 6Co electorate that doesn't vote come out and vote Alliance if they don't want to
be Unionist or Nationalist?
Maybe they're waiting for Tony to start a new party ? Northern Irish Tony Party??
Fearonistas? Pro life anti Irishness and Homosexuality Confederation or Plaihc for short?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

The party that came some way to answering the needs of those who see themselves as Northern Irish was NI21.Look at the number of young people it attracted at its launch.A Party or parties like this,with strong leadership is required to make the breakthrough to capture the 50% who don't vote,and more and more people like me who are starting to vote on issues who previously voted tribally.The more a party like this grows politically,the less influence unionism and nationalism will have,and indeed it will precipitate a moderation and more tolerance in both unionist and nationalist camps

No one on this thread has proposed anything different than the tired status quo of Irish V British (neither of whom understands nor wants us) and the toxic divisiveness flowing from these two mutually exclusive polar opposites,which hasn't worked,isn't working, or never will work politically,because neither the British or Irish wants us basically.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

T Fearon

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 02:44:57 PM
Seafoid I was at a Brexit conference in Newry recently.A Sinn Fein mEP asked Bertie if a Brexit wasnt an opportunity for a United Ireland.Bertie more or less told her to catch herself on and that consent was necessary blah blah.That reflects the southern attitude.Unity is not wanted and not affordable.As Professor John A Murphy,Cork, said not too long ago,the citizens of the south should be on their knees thanking God they dont have to sort out parading disputes etc
Can't say I blame them to be honest.
Tony, Bertie is yesterday's man. I am thinking more of voters in 25 years after the UK falls apart.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Bertie's views are reflective of the majority of people in the South.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 09:45:29 PM

What should Bertie have said? If Britain leaves the EU we will invade forthwith? He said there had to be consent, which isn't surprising as he was the architect of the Good Friday agreement.  I'm sure he didn't say, whatever happens we don't want you.
The Brexit debate is a good chance for debate on the future of the 6 counties, but the handout mentality is so engrained there that debate is constrained by the place being a basket case.   
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 09:45:29 PM
They won't be 25 years from now. Unionist Hegemony is doomed.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

25 years will be much too late for me any way.And the South will just absorb the North,and pay the stacks of additional money required without a whimper? I doubt it.

Who knows what anyone's preference will be in 25 years time?