Euro 2008 Austria/Switzerland Official Thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, May 12, 2008, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Only 24 days 23hours 23 mins to kick off so time to start discussing who you would like to win and who you think will shine etc
I'm going to go with Spain to win with hopefully Torres having a injury free and high scoring tournament
Looking forward to all of Group C's matches what a group that will be
You'll Never Walk Alone.

lurganblue

i´m in Vienna at the minute for work until 12th June so really looking forward to the start of the championships.  Going to have to buy a crappy austria top from somewhere and go down and watch the games on the big screans. should be good craic.  i believe Italy play some of their early matches in Vienna so i await the arrival of the Italian fans

might look for some tickets if i get a chance.

other than that i would like to see spain or holland do well. or even the nazi´s...

Yes I Would

Its not the same without the wankfest that is the english medias hype up of the team as potential winners, only for them to crack under the pressure of penos.
Would have been interesting to see who the fall guy would have been this time to join the club of Waddle, Southgate, Batty & Co.
Guess we will have to wait until 2010 world cup to find out (if they qualify).
Germans to win it, Russia worth a shout each way at 25's.

The Real Laoislad

Rossfan,Tankie,AppleTop and Gnevin you will be happy to know there are now

22days 23hours 48mins till kick off  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

I'm looking forward to this. I like the big international tournaments even if the rest of international football has become a snorefest.

I'm picking Portugal and Switzerland to come out of group A, with the Swiss pipping the Czechs.

Group B, Germany and Croatia in that order

Group C, Italy and Holland. France to go home as the Dutch pull off a mini surprise. This could come down to a 3 way tie on points with GD against a decent Romania side counting heavily.

Group D, Spain and Greece.

Then the quarters

Portugal v Croatia - Portugal

Germany v Switzerland - Germany

Italy v Greece - Italy

Spain v Holland - Spain (dodgy)

Semis

Germany v Portugal - Germany

ITaly v Spain - Spain

Final

Germany v Spain - Germany.

Doogie Browser

If you read the gutter press in England you wouldn't even know the tournament was on, typical xenophobic outlook from them.  
At least we can all enjoy this one safe in the knowledge the shower are not even in it.  
Looking forward to it, great news about Henrik's recall for Sweden, now have a team to follow.

Chrisowc

There hasn't exactly been a huge outpouring of excitement from the Irish press either DB.  Is that xenophobic too?

You will find as the tournament gets closer those who cover football properly will give it good coverage.

Anyway, I want Spain to win but I know they will more than likely crumble at a key stage.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

thejuice

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 14, 2008, 05:19:15 PM
If you read the gutter press in England you wouldn't even know the tournament was on, typical xenophobic outlook from them.  
At least we can all enjoy this one safe in the knowledge the shower are not even in it.  

Wow, what a statement, I wonder did it get a mention in the Irish press this week. Sorry I dont want to bring this off topic and into a silly arguement but the above deserves to be put on a plinth.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

charlie stubbs

hard tournament to call!fancy spain as they have 2 world class strikers however we all know they normally flatter to deceive.  on the hard side of the draw 2.  potugal maybe as a dark horse on the easier side of the draw on paper

Minder

I think Spain will win,it two top strikers and probably the most gifted squad
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stiffler

Torres 14/1 to be top goalscorer with Bet365, not too bad!
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

new devil

Come on Portugal...Ronaldo to be player of the t'ment...will look nice with his world player of the year award

Doogie Browser

Quote from: thejuice on May 14, 2008, 05:28:43 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 14, 2008, 05:19:15 PM

Wow, what a statement, I wonder did it get a mention in the Irish press this week. Sorry I dont want to bring this off topic and into a silly arguement but the above deserves to be put on a plinth.
The point I was trying to make is that there has been a near blackout, in fairness a lot of the Irish Independent and Irish Times coverage of soccer is syndicated from the British press anyway, particulary European coverage.  I will accept that given Ireland's absence this will be further diluted  If England are not in it, they simply do not care over there, I make no apologies for criticising the british press, for gods sake in 1996 the front page of one of them declared war on Germany prior to the Semi Final.  Great stuff altogether.

ONeill

I hate that crap talk Doogie. The English have 2 teams in the CL final, an FA Cup on the horizon and their top league has just finished with the play offs in full flow. Their national team is not involved in the summer tournament. You expect their press to fill their pages with it a full month before kick-off. Catch a grip of yourself.

Their quality papers will cover the tournament as well as expected.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Apple Top

Might an English priemership team win this - is it still we we we if they get well paid at an English Club?