Tony and Berties Big Day Out

Started by Donagh, May 08, 2007, 11:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So who do you think deserves most credit?

John Hume
Gerry Adams
Óglaigh na hÉireann
David Trimble
Mo Mowlam
Tony Blair
Seamus Mallon
Bertie Ahern
Albert Reynolds
John Major
Liz O'Donnell
John Bruton
Michael McDowell
Stephen King
Reg Empy
Martin Mansergh

Donagh

The two Chiefs have just arrived up at Stormont. The press coverage is quite amusing at the minute with every sort of clown getting airtime in order to claim the credit for bringing about this "historic" day. On RTE we have McDowell again proclaiming his republican credentials and "bigging up" (as they might say over on OWC) Liz O'Donnell. On BBC there's Brid acclaiming St John Hume and Tony Blair. Over on Slugger, it's Trimble getting the plaudits while on the Nolan show earlier it was Papa Doc.

Personally, I reckon it was the vision of John Hume, Martin Mansergh and Alec Reid that put it together with Gerry Adans putting most on the line to end the conflict with most of the unionists having been dragged along kicking and screaming by Mo Mowlam.

So who do you think deserves most credit?

T Fearon

Agree Donagh with your nominations. I would also give Blair grudging credit for sticking at it (along with  Bertie, but no one else from the 26 counties) as no other British Prime Minister would have done, in my opinion, and the late Mo Mowlam got the ball rolling as well. Find it hard to think of anyone on the unionist side (Trimble's nobel Peace Prize which bought him a house in London was a joke), worthy of credit, with the possible exception of the late David Ervine.

rosnarun

while i didnt give him the most credit Albert renynolds did by far the most from any individual point of view.it was his no nonsense business like attutude that really go the ball rolling while other were lettinng their dogmas hold them back . I gave my vote to the IRA as they have lost most out of the process and  they knew this would happen which makes it a very brave move on their behalf to accept english rule
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Spiritof98

Donagh also agree there with the nominations. The IRA also got my vote, they have showed great courage to take the road they have taken and tremedous recilence in the face of heel dragging and spanner throwing by th unionist/MI5 etc.

Hopefully we can now live side by side and develop this part of our island into a global united force
I'll go back if Marsdens back

armaghniac

John Hume's model of the future is the one that will eventually result, even if it is largely being carried forward with his party. Mind you 
Margaret Ritchie seems to have taken the comments on the SDLP being boring to heart, she is dressed as if going to Woodstock!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Spiritof98

Who was the tools protesting, they didn't  look to have any obvious signs of which side they were.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Fair enough list Donagh, I was torn between Hume, The IRA and Adams. Whilst Hume pretty much sacrificed his party for the better good, I agree with the posters above re: the IRA, but Gerry Adams got my vote as he brought the IRA to the table and got them to make many hard choices, whilst keeping a united front, during this Adams was also having to deal with an anti-Sinn Fein media and constant public heckling and opposition from a "pan unionist front", but most on that list deserve some kudos.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Spiritof98 on May 08, 2007, 12:57:08 PM
Who was the tools protesting, they didn't  look to have any obvious signs of which side they were.

Anti-War demonstrators - there to protest at Blair and the war in Iraq.
Tbc....

fior gael ultach

no one
today copperfastens british rule in the occupied six counties

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 08, 2007, 01:01:15 PM

Have just heard that "wee willie rat face frazer" is protesting at the gates of stormont as well!!!!
Tbc....

ziggysego

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 08, 2007, 01:40:13 PM

Have just heard that "wee willie rat face frazer" is protesting at the gates of stormont as well!!!!

Probably huffing because he couldn't get elected.
Testing Accessibility

Bensars

Quote from: ziggysego on May 08, 2007, 02:38:08 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 08, 2007, 01:40:13 PM
[/quote

Probably huffing because he couldn't get elected.

Does he work?  I know hes not an elected politican, so where does the time / money come from ?

Hardy

Sorry, Donagh - I agree broadly with your own nominees for credit, but how did the Irish Army get into your list of candidates for consideration? OK, they dismantled the odd bomb and the like, but they were hardly at the forefront of the peace process. More to the point, why have so many voted for them?

Orior

Bob "man of integrity" McCartney deserves credit for giving both sides something to laugh at.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

SammyG

It can only be John Hume. It's scary (but sadly not surprising) that some people are giving credit to the IRA.