The Spurs "homing in on 5th place and UEFA Cup qualification again", thread

Started by T Fearon, May 08, 2007, 10:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Another facile three points last night and surely another realistic six in the bag, given that our last two fixtures are at home to Blackburn Rovers and Man City, which will see us clinch 5th place and UEFA Cup qualification via a league placing for the second year in succession.

Another great season, but it could and should have been even better, with a place at least in either or both the Carling Cup and UEFA Cup Finals spurned

full back

Finishing 5th in the Premiership is a great season?
Am I missing something ???

cavan4ever

Unless your Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal it is good. 

glens73

Quote from: cavan4ever on May 08, 2007, 11:02:48 AM

Spurs have probably spent more on their squad than Arsenal.

full back

Quote from: cavan4ever on May 08, 2007, 11:02:48 AM

Catch a grip. So if Spurs finished in 5th place every year for a decade & won no cups you would say it was a great decade for football at WHL?

cavan4ever

Nope , sure they aren't even sure of fifth spot.  Blackburn on thursday night won't be easy.   It's an improvement from finishing mid table which was the case before last season.

Spiritof98

Slightly off the topic but how about having a play off for the last Champions league spot. 4th 5th 6th and 7th play off like in the championship for the spot, It would leave it very interesting and will have a lot more final day permatations for the fans to drool over.

I feel a champions league spot for a 4th place finish is rewarding mediocracy so why not have an exciting finish
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Will Hunting

Quote from: Spiritof98 on May 08, 2007, 11:30:45 AM
Slightly off the topic but how about having a play off for the last Champions league spot. 4th 5th 6th and 7th play off like in the championship for the spot, It would leave it very interesting and will have a lot more final day permatations for the fans to drool over.

I feel a champions league spot for a 4th place finish is rewarding mediocracy so why not have an exciting finish

Because the team finishing 7th getting into the Champions League would be a joke!

Mayo4Sam

That would have given Middlesbourough, Bolton, Villa, Charlton, Everton, West Ham, Ipswich & Sunderlad allchances to play in the CL over the last few years
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Spiritof98 on May 08, 2007, 11:30:45 AM

Only thing is 7th place could be 20points behind 4th wouldn't really be fair if the team that finished 7th got thru
Actually i have always been of the belief it should be only the top 2 make the Champions League and it should be the same for every country, That way they could cut down on the number of games players have to play and it would make the fight at the top of the domestic leagues more interesting as really Liverpool and Arsenal have always looked like finishing in top four so rather than them teams settling for 3rd or 4th place it be a battle right till the end to finish in top 2
I know that would have ruled out Liverpool of getting a spot over the last few years but im looking at this as a soccer fan not a Liverpool fan,because im not happy with Liverpool settling for 3rd or 4th place like they have been over last few years
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Billys Boots

2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th play off in Holland for their 2nd Champions League place, so it's not unthinkable.  Hard on Ajax who lost the title by one goal on goal-difference, to PSV.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

T Fearon

No need for any play offs ffs the fixture list is already overcrowded.

In any case, Spurs are knocking on the door for a top four spot, with a few strategic signings (ie a couple of full backs and a creative midfielder) and a will to resist the largesse from the Manchester based American billionaires hence retaining Berbatov, I feel we can replace either Arsenal or Liverpool in the top four next year, both of whom are vulnerable.

PS Well done on Berbatov and Robbie on their joint player of the month award for April. Good to see someone outside the top four loadsamoney clubs getting a bit of recognition

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

ONeill

I wonder what inedible delights Spurs will blame this year when they c**k up whatever it is they're going for?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.