SUFTUM

Started by Mickey Linden, January 16, 2012, 08:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

They sang "swing low" when Martin Johnson was playing I think when they bate them a few years ago.

I think the words were "coming for to carry YOU home".

This is my local pub the weekend Ulster played Northampton last year and Rory Mc was golfing about on the telly the night before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-VVSg2WXAs

All good fun so it was. Ulster rugby fans are as good craic as any and not sectarian by any means from what I've seen.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thejuice on January 17, 2012, 10:55:11 AM
They sang "swing low" when Martin Johnson was playing I think when they bate them a few years ago.

I think the words were "coming for to carry YOU home".

This is my local pub the weekend Ulster played Northampton last year and Rory Mc was golfing about on the telly the night before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-VVSg2WXAs

All good fun so it was. Ulster rugby fans are as good craic as any and not sectarian by any means from what I've seen.

+1
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

A large bunch of Scottish supporters sang Swing Low in a pub in Dublin during the 6N a few years ago, much to the shock of the rest of us. But then they added a verse:

You can stick yer f*cking Chariots up yer Arse,
You can stick yer f*cking Chariots up yer Arse,
You can stick yer f*cking Chariots,
Stick yer f*cking Chariots,
You can stick yer f*cking Chariots up yer Arse!
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

shouldnt the ulster flegs be yellow and red? and maybe the team colours
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Maguire01

Don't Connacht play in green?

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 17, 2012, 11:11:51 PM
imo the red and white ulster flags are off putting. but i accept not having been to a match i could be getting the wrong impression

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on January 17, 2012, 11:42:10 PM
imo the red and white ulster flags are off putting. but i accept not having been to a match i could be getting the wrong impression
Ravenhill has a great atmosphere and I'd have no hesitations in attending there. The fact that the red and white flag is flown in the crowd alongside the yellow and red says a lot.

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 17, 2012, 11:56:06 PM
Ravenhill has a great atmosphere and I'd have no hesitations in attending there. The fact that the red and white flag is flown in the crowd alongside the yellow and red says a lot.
its not quite the same thing as fermanagh lads wearing celtic jerseys to clones though is it? wee bit of a politcal flavour me thinks i wouldnt be too cosy with it

GAA_Talk

lads we need to get over this apparent subliminal i love the ra and all things to do with being 'catholic', against, i don't go to mass and appreciate all religions there for i'm an acceptable member of society...balls! some people don't actually care. deal with it!

Milltown Row2

Lawnseed wouldnt eat a Cumberland sauage FFS!! Or Devon custard  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Was up at the Ulster Munster Rabbo direct a few weeks ago and thought it was a great atmosphere, apart for the lad who insisted on whistling SUFTUM into my ear throughtout the match...
4 lads decked out in Munster gear beside me from Crossmaglen, got chatting and they said the can't abide Ulster rugby and travel to most games in Thomand park.
Think it just reinforces the "club" nature of rugby, don't necessarily have to be from the province to support a team...

screenexile

Quote from: ballinaman on January 18, 2012, 10:33:39 AM
Was up at the Ulster Munster Rabbo direct a few weeks ago and thought it was a great atmosphere, apart for the lad who insisted on whistling SUFTUM into my ear throughtout the match...
4 lads decked out in Munster gear beside me from Crossmaglen, got chatting and they said the can't abide Ulster rugby and travel to most games in Thomand park.
Think it just reinforces the "club" nature of rugby, don't necessarily have to be from the province to support a team...

You see that's ithe problem. Even where I'm from there's a huge stigma attached to Ulster Rugby and that they are seen as a protestant or Unionis team. While this may have been the case years ago it certainly isn't now in the professional era and with the popularity of Rugby rising even among the Catholic community Ulster will have more and more Catholic players over the next while.

Does anyone know if Ulster still fly the Union Jack at Ravenhill? I had a look around on Friday but couldn't see it. I know there was uproar when Ireland played Italy a few years ago that it wasn't to be flown but I wonder have they removed it altogether . . . I don't see any need for it to be there I mean you don't see Union Jack's flying around Premier League grounds or anything so why should it be the same in Rugby!

Evil Genius

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2012, 10:23:54 PM
I laughed out loud when i went to Ravenhill and they chanted "stand up for the Ulster men, stand up for the Ulster men. It's played to the tune of Go west by the Pet Shop Boys!!!

I turned to my 6 4" rugby friend and let out a howler. He shook his head as he knew what I was getting at. I think it's a song for the younger generation of the supporters
Having been to a handful of Ulster games (home and away), I think what is more embarrassing than the actual song is the fact that it is the only song they have.

Worse, it was stolen from football (or "soccer", if you prefer), where it was first sung by WBA fans as "Go West, Bromwich Albion".

(Though to be fair, the rugby boys did come up with one amusing ditty when they played Toulouse in the Heineken a while back. To the tune of Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days", they sang "You're going to lose Toulouse, you're going to lose Toulouse, you're going to lose, you're going to lose Toulouse etc". Of course, it would have been even better had Toulouse not humped them, mind...)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

AFS

Quote from: ballinaman on January 18, 2012, 10:33:39 AM

Or it just reinforces that gloryhunters exists in rugby too. No reason for fellas like that not to support their home province. They'd be far from the first lads from about Crossmaglen to head to Ravenhill and cheer on Ulster.

Feckitt

Have to agree with most of the posters on this so far.  I went to Ravenhill last year for the first time ever and was really impressed.  Yes there were NI flags, but plenty of yellow Ulster flags as well, and people stood side by side flying both.  There were no union jacks, and the atmosphere was really good.  I would recommend it to anyone for a good Friday Night Out.