I thought that was one of the Worst All Ireland Final's Day ever shown by RTE

Started by Maroon Heaven, September 05, 2011, 10:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

Up for the Match saw the same old faces put out with the same old lines.

Cahill and his special guest for the audience- Yeah after 23 years of the show this is where the Cup is brought out -  we got it back in 1988.  I cringed watching Grainne Seioge waffle out the same line after line after line which she uses every year. When Fanning & Lyng walked on with the McCarthy cup you knew she was going to come out with a line about the 2 Boys looking fit and could be lining out tomorrow. Christ RTE give us something origional instead of the usual Kilkenny & Tipp songs followed by a panel of 3 people, followed by the GAA President, followed by Marty "Indiana Jones" Whelan embarrasing himself.

The Finals coverage was worst. What happened the All Ireland Minor Final and building the sense of a match on? RTE's coverage was no different then any other day at Croke Park, with the usual Vox Pops of supporters on Jones Road followed by clips of them walking to the sound of some token uplifting song of the day.

At this stage an RTE Guy will read this and say - God what else could be done - So here is just 5 simple ideas

1.   A Camera in the Tunnel facing the dressing Rooms showing the players & Managers enter, leave, slap a hurl against a wall, a word from a manager to a player at half time – whatever

2.   Bring Lyster and the Boys down out of their studio onto the pitch – Allow someone like Daly or Farrell be there to focus on key players/managers warming up and saying why they warm up such a way

3.   Buses Coming into a Stadium – Yeah we get this every year since the invention of a Bus bringing players into a stadium – How about being original and put someone on the Bus – If they cannot bring live pictures of the players on the bus - speak to them by phone saying what they did that morning – where they are on the bus, who looks nervous, whose sitting beside each other. Even at the end of a Match put the details of the Bus going back to the Hotel so Kids could go out and see the Players and Trophy on way back to Hotel

4.   Celebrations on Pitch – If Fans ain't going to get on – At least show what is happening on the pitch – get a Camera down there and interview the players on the pitch – winners & Losers

5.   Artane Boys Band – How about a Crazy idea of following a lad from the Band and setting a small camera up on his headgear to show the colours. (Can see a TV company now take that idea for a documentary)

Stevie g 8

what about the farce that was "the sunday game".its so dated and old

Hardy

To be fair, at least they learned from last year's debacle of their coverage of the presentations and celebrations after the match. Last year they cut from the captain's speech to the studio and missed the Galtee Mountain Boy and stayed with the talking heads in the studio while the lap of honour and most of celebrations went on down on the pitch.

This time they stayed with the presentation and speech and then stayed with the pictures of the celebrations while the analysts talked. Much better.

The GAA administration also improved their act. This year there was no cringe-making music at the presentation, no shower of coloured litter and, best of all, no bebibbed security goons running around with the lap of honour.

AZOffaly

I thought the best moment was when some Lad opened the door of the studio and roared 'come on the cats yeeehhhooooo' after the match. Lyster looked like he thought it was a sniper.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 05, 2011, 12:01:36 PM
I thought the best moment was when some Lad opened the door of the studio and roared 'come on the cats yeeehhhooooo' after the match. Lyster looked like he thought it was a sniper.

Yes, that was funny - RTÉ almost having a close encounter with a real person. If it's that easy to get into the studio, I look forward to the winning fans invading it totally after the football final. The three Nualas to be given the bumps and someone to be deployed to toss Lyster's hair.

Jinxy

I've often walked past that studio when the door was open.
Wouldn't be too hard to get in there with a few custard pies during the ad break.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on September 05, 2011, 11:11:50 AM
what about the farce that was "the sunday game".its so dated and old

Was OK - Analysis was excellent and at least they had the sense to give Delaney the Man of The Match

isourboydownyet

on another note regards the coverage,did any one find it diificult to follow play from cameras under the hogan stand?with the shawdow of the roof it was hard to see play

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on September 05, 2011, 12:47:53 PM
I've often walked past that studio when the door was open.
Wouldn't be too hard to get in there with a few custard pies during the ad break.

Before the ad break would be so much better.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on September 05, 2011, 10:41:49 AM
Up for the Match saw the same old faces put out with the same old lines.

Cahill and his special guest for the audience- Yeah after 23 years of the show this is where the Cup is brought out -  we got it back in 1988.  I cringed watching Grainne Seioge waffle out the same line after line after line which she uses every year. When Fanning & Lyng walked on with the McCarthy cup you knew she was going to come out with a line about the 2 Boys looking fit and could be lining out tomorrow. Christ RTE give us something origional instead of the usual Kilkenny & Tipp songs followed by a panel of 3 people, followed by the GAA President, followed by Marty "Indiana Jones" Whelan embarrasing himself.

The Finals coverage was worst. What happened the All Ireland Minor Final and building the sense of a match on? RTE's coverage was no different then any other day at Croke Park, with the usual Vox Pops of supporters on Jones Road followed by clips of them walking to the sound of some token uplifting song of the day.

At this stage an RTE Guy will read this and say - God what else could be done - So here is just 5 simple ideas

1.   A Camera in the Tunnel facing the dressing Rooms showing the players & Managers enter, leave, slap a hurl against a wall, a word from a manager to a player at half time – whatever

2.   Bring Lyster and the Boys down out of their studio onto the pitch – Allow someone like Daly or Farrell be there to focus on key players/managers warming up and saying why they warm up such a way

3.   Buses Coming into a Stadium – Yeah we get this every year since the invention of a Bus bringing players into a stadium – How about being original and put someone on the Bus – If they cannot bring live pictures of the players on the bus - speak to them by phone saying what they did that morning – where they are on the bus, who looks nervous, whose sitting beside each other. Even at the end of a Match put the details of the Bus going back to the Hotel so Kids could go out and see the Players and Trophy on way back to Hotel

4.   Celebrations on Pitch – If Fans ain't going to get on – At least show what is happening on the pitch – get a Camera down there and interview the players on the pitch – winners & Losers

5.   Artane Boys Band – How about a Crazy idea of following a lad from the Band and setting a small camera up on his headgear to show the colours. (Can see a TV company now take that idea for a documentary)

I agree with some of those ideas. With regards to two, do you have any idea how hard it would be logistically getting the lads from their box down to the pitch and back? Don't think it would work.

As for number 3, what manager would let a reporter with a camera on the team bus?

RTE aim their GAA coverage at old people. Not clued into the younger generation at all. Marty dressed as India Jones took cringe to a whole new level. 

Maroon Heaven

Why couldn't they shift Lyster down to pitchside.

Right at the RTE box is an Elevator which can be taken down pitchsite inside a commercial break. They already have a camera down at pitchside - so why not take him down.

I doubt a manager would have a problem with media on a bus - Would just build on the occassion. I love knowing what players would have done in the morning of a big game. Shows their thinking on it

joemamas

AZ,

Had to think of you while watching the match yesterday, Canning had at least three "huge ones" inside the first five minutes.

Was that a record.

Paddy Power should provide odds on how many times he says it in the first half , second half and have a final score of "huge ones " for the football final.

AZOffaly

Quote from: joemamas on September 05, 2011, 07:32:59 PM

AZ,

Had to think of you while watching the match yesterday, Canning had at least three "huge ones" inside the first five minutes.

Was that a record.

Paddy Power should provide odds on how many times he says it in the first half , second half and have a final score of "huge ones " for the football final.

I didn't think we'd met, but thank you :D

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on September 05, 2011, 07:11:43 PM
Why couldn't they shift Lyster down to pitchside.

Right at the RTE box is an Elevator which can be taken down pitchsite inside a commercial break. They already have a camera down at pitchside - so why not take him down.

I doubt a manager would have a problem with media on a bus - Would just build on the occassion. I love knowing what players would have done in the morning of a big game. Shows their thinking on it

Seriously, what other sports programme brings the host down pitchside? That's the job of a pitchside correspondent. It just doesn't work logistically?

You honestly think Brian Cody would allow say Darren Frehill of RTE on to the team bus to record and chat to players just before their biggest game of the year? What planet are you living on?

Maroon Heaven

Champions League SKY, ITV - Cricket, AFL and even ITV Rugby all bring their analysis on to pitch side.

Not once did I suggest that the Players be inteviewed on the bus going to the Final