Anyone got info about the development @ Queens Pitches at the Dub Belfast

Started by Maroon Heaven, April 13, 2010, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

Diggers and groundwork started 2 weeks ago and I hear alot of the pitches (the Rugby, Cricket & Tennis Courts) will be closed for 2 years.

Trying to find info on what they are planning to put in - Anyone got a link to what is planned.

Tony Baloney

Google. You have heard of it? :-)

The Committee considered further a planning application in relation to the construction of a new clubhouse, two new pavilions, ground staff facilities, new entrance, car parking, two grandstands, synthetic and natural turf pitches, floodlighting, multi-games area, five-a-side football pitches, artificial cricket pitch, trim trail, landscaping, irrigation system with borehole, housing development comprising eight detached dwellings and six townhouses and associated operational development in respect of which the Divisional Planning Manager had offered an opinion to approve.

Maroon Heaven

Thanks for that Tony - I'll have a look at this google you talk about.....

But I would have thought either Queens, Sportni or Belfast City Council would have some formal announcement of what they are building.

Came accross this in my search earlier - http://www.footballfactoryni.com/ - Where the feck is that been built?

tyroneboi

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on April 13, 2010, 09:40:19 PM
Thanks for that Tony - I'll have a look at this google you talk about.....

But I would have thought either Queens, Sportni or Belfast City Council would have some formal announcement of what they are building.

Came accross this in my search earlier - http://www.footballfactoryni.com/ - Where the feck is that been built?

Redcar Street in Belfast according to Facebook.

Football Factory NI
Belfast largest indoor Football Arena comprising:-

• Indoor Football Venue;
• 4 state of the art 3G football pitches;
• c. 100 car parking spaces;
• Showering / changing facilities;
• Mezzanine viewing gallery;
• 1 mini pitch available for kids parties and general hire;
• Conveniently located 5 minutes drive from Belfast City Centre, on main bus routes, close to local primary schools;
• Food and drink; and
• Summer football camps.

Football Factory will provide:-

• Competitive Leagues;
• Social and Corporate Leagues
• Training facilities for Belfast based semi-pro football clubs;
• Football development groups;
• Womans U21 indoor league;
• Corporate Hire;
• Community use;
• Social football;
• Proposed Insomniacs League (for night shift workers);
• Affiliations with local charities
• Occassional indoor training use for local rugby clubs; and
• Soccer school backed by local IFA community officers.

Maroon Heaven

Mercci for that.....

A 3G football pitch... Nice one - Always been waiting for one and now 4 arrive at once. I'll be counting the car parking spaces to make sure there is 100 of them.

Best of luck to it anyway.

Mid Mon

Apparently this development is anti-GAA see the oppose the dub development facebook page

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

The "new Dub" will have:

A new clubhouse and changing pavilion
A Competition Arena which can cater for prestigious Gaelic sports, soccer and rugby events
2 grandstands
2 floodlit synthetic hockey/soccer pitches
2 floodlit 3rd generation synthetic training pitches
3 floodlit multi-use games areas offering alternatively, 6 basketball or netball courts, or 9 tennis courts
8 5-a-side synthetic football pitches
14 natural turf pitches to accommodate gaelic sports, soccer and rugby, 6 of which will be floodlit
New artifical cricket wicket with enhanced outfield
3 km trim trail catering for walking, running and cycling
The above may be subject to slight changes.

Taken from the QUB website.

Outdoor Sport Appeal

This is a £13 million initiative to redevelop the Malone Playing Fields complex into an internationally acclaimed multi-sports venue.   
We are delighted that Martin O'Neill, one of football's most prominent sporting figures and successful managers has agreed to be Patron of the appeal.

A holistic student experience
Sport has always been an integral part of student life at the University providing generations of Queen's students with memorable sporting experiences, lifelong friendships and challenging opportunities to fulfil their potential.

There is no doubt that sport adds value to the learning process, improves physical and mental well-being, and stimulates a greater sense of community. The redevelopment of these facilities will make a difference not only to the future of sport at Queen's but also throughout the island of Ireland.

Diarmuid Marsden (QUB) and Pater Andrews (UCD)
at the Sigerson Cup Final, won by Queen's.
Creating future sporting 'greats'...

The area spans 100 acres and is the only venue in Northern Ireland that can offer this level of single-site sports provision. It is also home to 11 student clubs including Northern Ireland's three major team sports: Gaelic Football, Rugby and Soccer. 

Queen's University has helped educate many great sporting legends including: Jack Kyle (rugby), DB McNeill (rowing), Thelma Hopkins and Victor Milligan (athletics) and more recently Dawson Stelfox (mountaineering), Marion Madine (swimming), Richard Archibald (rowing), Lisa Bradley (judo) and Anthony Tohill (Gaelic Football).

An international platform for the future of sport in Northern Ireland
The redevelopment project is extensive and will create a superb venue for national and international student competitive sport as well as coaching and training opportunities, especially in the run-up to the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympic Games.

In addition to upgraded pitches there will be a new Clubhouse, a changing pavilion, two grandstands and eight multi-use games areas for basketball, netball and tennis. 

Once completed, the venue, together with Barnett's Park, Belfast Activity Centre, Mary Peters' Track and the Shaws Bridge facilities, will create a major sporting hub for the University, the local community, the City and the region.
Tbc....

DuffleKing

Stolen from a Queens GAA Facebook campaign:

Queen's is currently planning a major redevelopment of the Dub Playings Fields. Once more the University has acted without the consultation of the students, plans being in place without care for student input.

What is perhaps not surprising is that the new plans make no provision for floodlit Gaelic Games provisions whereas soccer, rugby and hockey are all catered for.

Rois

Wonder if Queens are putting up the full cost themselves?

Also, if the facilities will help in the run-up to 2012 Olympics, are they not a bit late?

Denn Forever

What is perhaps not surprising is that the new plans make no provision for floodlit Gaelic Games provisions whereas soccer, rugby and hockey are all catered for.

Do any college have the facility for floodlit GAA matches?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: Rois on April 14, 2010, 12:33:30 PM
Wonder if Queens are putting up the full cost themselves?

Also, if the facilities will help in the run-up to 2012 Olympics, are they not a bit late?

It looks like that it is been done for the Olympics - yet I heard Belfast had not got one country to come here.

I'm sure government & Lottery funding was available. Anyone looking access to the Dub Pavillion now has to go up that lane by the shops & not take a short cut over that wee road that ran beside the hockey & 5 aside pitches. That road is closed for 2 years.

Its amazing that all the stuff that has been posted is from 2007. Nothing recent confirming what is planned. Not that I am concerned - just nosey as I'd like to know what Queens are doing as they have great facilities in place there & could do with rivalling Jordanstown with some of their sports facilities

Edit - I spoke with SportNI - They have nothing to do with it, I spoke with Queens who told me to check with planning office for plans. After some cordial conversation I was told it would be 2 weeks before they put plans up with what is planned in there.