Magennis's Bar now changed its name to Ronnie Drew's

Started by Maroon Heaven, March 05, 2009, 10:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

Was surprised when I saw it go up and not surprised with the controversy.

What do others think?

SidelineKick

Would they really need the family's permission for that?

What if they called it John Smith's?  I'm sure there are plenty of John Smith's about!

Will be very hard to attract new custom to the bar, no matter what its called.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Donagh

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on March 05, 2009, 10:16:51 AM
Was surprised when I saw it go up and not surprised with the controversy.

What do others think?

What controversy? Don't tell me, more manufactured outrage from the McCartney family? I expect Suzanne Breen will have a two page 'exclusive' in this Sunday's Tribune and the McCartney's to be picketing the pub for no reason other than they think it'll somehow bring "justice for Robert". Life moves on, get over it...

The GAA

Not easy to get over your brother being viciously murdered in public, particularly when the "party of government" colluded in the freedom fighting culprits avoiding justice

Doogie Browser

The controversy was about the name I think, Ronnie's family were not consulted.
If the McCartney weemin had their way though the bar would be pulled down, it is not the bars fault that their brother got killed, so they need to drop that rubbish.

Donagh

Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:27:51 AM

Not easy to get over your brother being viciously murdered in public, particularly when the "party of government" colluded in the freedom fighting culprits avoiding justice

So what has that got to do with the bar or it's owner?

bingobus

If i was a new owner, I'd look to change the name and try and rid the place of the past but that may be harder to do than put a new sign up over the door.

I can't see why the McCartney family should have a problem, the death was tragic and all that but the name of the place it happened is irrelevant. Its not a shrine.

Tony Baloney

I think the point is that the new owners of the pub were not complicit in his murder so should be allowed to get on with running a business without any further negative publicity from the family.

They'll maybe have to fly over first class to DC to discuss it with Barack!

The GAA

Quote from: Donagh on March 05, 2009, 10:29:48 AM
Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:27:51 AM

So what has that got to do with the bar or it's owner?

Not a thing brains - its you that brought up the McCartneys for no apparent reason

Maroon Heaven

I am fairly familar with the pub lads and it has done very well to lift the trade after the McCartney Controversary.

Don't really know the new owner, but he has invested alot of money into what is a good refit and put a new bar upstairs that is good for small parties

Personally don't think he should have used name Ronnie Drew without getting permission. He cann't really say its aimed at any old Ronnie Drew as he has his Ronnie's picture etched on glass with pictures of the Dubliners in the Bar

T Fearon

All the same, I think they should have consulted Ronnie Drew's family. His son Phelim says in to-day's Irish News that his father would be appalled to be associated with this bar. For that reason the name should be removed forthwith

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon on March 05, 2009, 10:35:03 AM
All the same, I think they should have consulted Ronnie Drew's family. His son Phelim says in to-day's Irish News that his father would be appalled to be associated with this bar. For that reason the name should be removed forthwith
In that case I'd be looking to change the name and try to move on without attracting any further negative PR.

Donagh

Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:32:03 AM
Not a thing brains - its you that brought up the McCartneys for no apparent reason

I wasn't the one who started the thread dickhead.

nifan

From a  bele tele article.

QuoteHowever, she said tourists should know they could be drinking next to a murderer.

Isnt that why half the tourists come to belfast....

QuoteThe bar didn't murder Robert, it was the people in it and the people need to change, not the name of the bar.

I feel sorry for the death of your man, but really should the publican lose his liveleyhood over a tragedy like this.

The GAA

Quote from: Donagh on March 05, 2009, 10:40:59 AM
Quote from: The GAA on March 05, 2009, 10:32:03 AM

I wasn't the one who started the thread d**khead.

You brought up the McCartneys - blaming them for this controversy (God only knows why) and then took the opportunity to stick the boot into them.
Dickhead