Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Quote from: trailer on September 04, 2019, 05:12:53 PM
They tried to replace him but it was going to cost the GDP of an African nation to do so and for once Utd made the right decision and said no. And if they have to say no in the next two transfer windows then that's fine.

Recruitment has been a mess since Ferguson left remember Moyes' first window when Fellani was signed for more than his release clause on deadline day? And then they didn't get that left back who's name I can't remember also from Everton. Took the pens, had a shit haircut. That was the start of the decline, right up until JM was told to check out of the Lowery Hotel.

A line had to be drawn in the sand. Paying over the odds for shit just because they're Utd and they can does not build a successful team. Off loading bad players, on high money is good business irrespective if they're replaced.

Easy to say that now at start of season. Their goal scoring rate will have a huge effect on league table position and if half way through the season they are struggling then pressure to buy will be huge. Going into the PL with no recognized goal scorer is not good business. League table position affects revenue. Qualifying for CL has a huge bearing on revenue. That's not even considering keeping the major sponsors sweet. Forgetting about the business model for a sec, fans will go anti very quickly if the team is cut too far adrift. If things are toxic at Xmas they could be faced with paying off a manager, paying over the odds for his replacement and panic buying shit as you call it up front to try get some goals.
They've gambled on what they have at present to see them through. There's some real quality there and no reason why it might not work out but it might not either. Not buying a striker was a huge call. The Sanchez contract is probably a huge headache behind the scenes but very very soon they need to bite the bullet on that and pay an eye watering amount for another star. And that goes for even if they produce him in house. Because no agent will leave him on the cheap for too long.

Joeythelips

They tried to replace him but it was going to cost the GDP of an African nation to do so and for once Utd made the right decision and said no. And if they have to say no in the next two transfer windows then that's fine.

Recruitment has been a mess since Ferguson left remember Moyes' first window when Fellani was signed for more than his release clause on deadline day? And then they didn't get that left back who's name I can't remember also from Everton. Took the pens, had a shit haircut. That was the start of the decline, right up until JM was told to check out of the Lowery Hotel.

A line had to be drawn in the sand. Paying over the odds for shit just because they're Utd and they can does not build a successful team. Off loading bad players, on high money is good business irrespective if they're replaced.

This is true of course and it was good to see they told Dybala to do one after he demanded the world. But the fact is Man United have an unproven manager and don't have the attraction of Champion league football for the foreseeable which makes it difficult to attract the players they do need. Its a big transitional period for them while this rebuild is going on and he needs the 3 years he was given to get it done, I think he will struggle to get this as I cant see them getting top 4 this season for sure, but at least its clear he is trying to build a team that will play attractive football.

trailer

Quote from: Joeythelips on September 05, 2019, 11:24:49 AM

This is true of course and it was good to see they told Dybala to do one after he demanded the world. But the fact is Man United have an unproven manager and don't have the attraction of Champion league football for the foreseeable which makes it difficult to attract the players they do need. Its a big transitional period for them while this rebuild is going on and he needs the 3 years he was given to get it done, I think he will struggle to get this as I cant see them getting top 4 this season for sure, but at least its clear he is trying to build a team that will play attractive football.

Top 4 isn't going to happen. It will take at least another 2 windows to get this right. But if you pull the weeds the flowers can bloom. That seems to be the approach here. Getting rid of an overweight and unprofessional Lukaku may just create enough space for Martial, Rashford and others to flourish. There are enough experienced heads to carry that team. This year is consolidation, structuring things, off loading. If there are no players available who improve the team at the right value then so be it.

Quote from: Boycey on September 04, 2019, 07:29:59 PM

I'm surprised MOTD haven't been on looking u...

I am available for MOTD, podcasts and other roadshows.

Look-Up!

I don't know. I hear a lot of talk about transition, clearing out the deadwood, 3 seasons to rebuild etc. and of course it sounds reasonable but the reality is Utd have a manager they do not trust. And I don't know if I'd trust him either. The template for success in the PL is getting a manager with a track record and backing him financially to the hilt.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Look-Up! on September 05, 2019, 12:51:37 PM

I don't know. I hear a lot of talk about transition, clearing out the deadwood, 3 seasons to rebuild etc. and of course it sounds reasonable but the reality is Utd have a manager they do not trust. And I don't know if I'd trust him either. The template for success in the PL is getting a manager with a track record and backing him financially to the hilt.

Like Mourinho?

For every experienced manager who spends a lot of money and wins there's 10 that fail.

Ole may or may not be the man to get United back to winning titles but in my mind he's certainly the man to start the rebuild. And I'm sure the club have confidence in him to do just that. Top 4 will be difficult this season, especially with the way points have been frittered away in the first 4 games. People underestimate just how much of a hatchet job Mourinho did on the club. It's almost as if he wanted the mess up the club as much as he could......

Keyser soze

Looking forward to seeing Ole getting some success.... not least so that Seanie's tiresome Mourinho obsession can perhaps be laid to rest.  ;D

Look-Up!

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2019, 01:25:48 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on September 05, 2019, 12:51:37 PM

Like Mourinho?

For every experienced manager who spends a lot of money and wins there's 10 that fail.

Ole may or may not be the man to get United back to winning titles but in my mind he's certainly the man to start the rebuild. And I'm sure the club have confidence in him to do just that. Top 4 will be difficult this season, especially with the way points have been frittered away in the first 4 games. People underestimate just how much of a hatchet job Mourinho did on the club. It's almost as if he wanted the mess up the club as much as he could......

Well yes like Mourinho. Can't deny his record but I didn't think he was the right fit for Utd at the time. He was probably past his best as well. But it was the right type of move but on the wrong man.
Everything seemed to go pear shaped after the Sanchez buy. Don't know who was the driver behind that move but personally I didn't think it was a good fit and I'd be skeptical if Jose was the driving force behind it. He identified his targets later that summer and the club wouldn't commit. Again the Sanchez contract and the obvious folly in it at that stage probably had a big bearing on the refusal to spend. Then the inevitable toys came out of the pram. I don't know what else the club expected. Yes in hindsight Mourinho's time there can best be viewed as a hatchet job but there was more than him swinging it.

magpie seanie

I'm convinced Mourinho went bald headed after Sanchez to get one up on Guardiola.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2019, 03:43:17 PM
I'm convinced Mourinho went bald headed after Sanchez to get one up on Guardiola.

I think it was Ed Woodward vanity signing. Di Maria before it and he tried to do the same with Dybala this summer. On the template for success the main question should be do the owners and Ed Woodward have the structures in place with a clear vision for success?

Look-Up!

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2019, 03:43:17 PM

Doesn't seem right to me. Mourinho always seemed more tactically aware than that and getting his midfield right was the basis for a lot of his success. Of course I could be wrong but my hunch was Utd wanted to get one over City. Maybe they felt Sanchez would have strengthened City too much and made a very agricultural move against them without worrying too much about the effect it would have on themselves. How complicit Mourinho was in this I don't know but it was an incredibly stupid way be be thinking bereft of logic and not in line with what fights the club needed taking on at the time. Kinda reminded me of Chelsea's move for Shevchenko with the outcome more or less the same.

magpie seanie

QuoteJose Mourinho commented: "Alexis is one of the best attacking players in the world and he will complete our very young and talented group of attacking players. He will bring his ambition, drive and personality, qualities that make a Manchester United player and a player that makes the team stronger and the supporters proud of their club dimension and prestige.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/manchester-united-complete-the-transfer-of-alexis-sanchez-from-arsenal

Seemed happy enough with it at the time. Interesting he mentioned prestige.

DrumraghAbu

Quote from: Keyser soze on September 05, 2019, 02:56:38 PM
Looking forward to seeing Ole getting some success.... not least so that Seanie's tiresome Mourinho obsession can perhaps be laid to rest.  ;D

Really hoping the same, however I believe he has been thrown in the deep end. I seen Gary Neville in an interview say the other day that he should be given time like Klopp. This statement is complete bulls***, Klopp was very successful at Dortmund and was one of the most sought after manager, Ole has came from a farmers league.

With James, Rashy, Martial, Pogba all playing well I think we will get back to the glory days sooner rather than later.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: DrumraghAbu on September 06, 2019, 09:30:26 AM

Really hoping the same, however I believe he has been thrown in the deep end. I seen Gary Neville in an interview say the other day that he should be given time like Klopp. This statement is complete bulls***, Klopp was very successful at Dortmund and was one of the most sought after manager, Ole has came from a farmers league.

With James, Rashy, Martial, Pogba all playing well I think we will get back to the glory days sooner rather than later.

At a time, when he left Dortmund they were a shambles and he'd ran them into the ground and in the relegation zone if I recall. Liverpool should be wary history doesn't repeat.

laoislad

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 06, 2019, 10:02:49 AM

At a time, when he left Dortmund they were a shambles and he'd ran them into the ground and in the relegation zone if I recall. Liverpool should be wary history doesn't repeat.
Shambles?
Finished 7th in league,Won the German Super Cup, Runners up in the German Cup and last 16 of the Champions League..
His time was up with them no doubt and compared to previous seasons it wouldn't have been as good,but he hardly left them in a shambles.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Joeythelips

Exactly, Ole needs time just like Klopp, but Klopp had a proven record at Dortmund. When Fergueson came to united he had to do a major rebuilding job, what kept him in the job was the fact of what he had done in Scotland. Ole has none of that so when things are not going well (which is inevitable when rebuilding a team) he has not got the CV to back up what he is doing.

Also as much as I am not a fan of Jose, he did want to sign McGuire last season (for half the price) so he knew what was needed and united could not deliver it.