Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosskarr

Quote from: TheClutch on June 27, 2017, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 27, 2017, 01:25:29 PM
I can't understand why plenty of people are saying that Tyrone will hammer us, I don't think we'll win but I don't expect a walkover as some are predicting. Tyrone hammered Derry and Donegal but Derry are useless and I must have been watching a different Tyrone v Donegal match as I thought Donegal were awful more than Tyrone being amazing. Both Derry and Donegal threw the towel in for the last quarter of the match which is where Tyrone really opened up a big gap between the teams.

Yes we're not coming in under the radar and Harrison is no longer a secret weapon but I'd like to think we can give Tyrone their fill of it and at least make it a competitive match. Some turnaround from the attitudes after the Fermanagh and Clare matches when we thought we wouldn't win a game all season - we're not just one win (Ulster final or qualifier) away from an AI QF.

I think branding Harrison a secret weapon is a bit over the top. He has been in and around the county panel for a few seasons now, this year he has been given an opportunity with sustained game time and has taken it - he also played against Armagh and had a decent afternoon then also. He had a fantastic game on Saturday night and hopefully he can produce more of the same as he is clearly capable of it.
I don't think that Tyrone will hammer us either but it is hard not to see past a Tyrone victory. Then again I felt the exact same going into the Monaghan game so hopefully this Down team continue to surprise us.
Sustained game time? 1 and 3/4 matches

PAULD123

In 2012 we got to an Ulster final and were destroyed by 11 points. We hadn't really expected to be there but we would have considered ourselves better than the two teams we beat - Fermanagh and Monaghan (Fermanagh had just won Div 4 and Monaghan just relegated to Div3). Suddenly we came up against a genuine All-Ireland contender and were taken apart.

This year we edged two teams who generally speaking we were not expecting to beat, and one of them is a serious contender at Ulster level and was whispered for a September challenge. So I think that is progress and probably marks a difference in how we arrived at the Ulster Final.

In 2012 we were beat (hammered) by the eventual champions and also the runners up, probably the two best teams in the country at the time. I just don't see Tyrone up there right now. I think they are more of a decent outside bet.

Basically I don't see us having such a gap in standard as we did in 2012. Also we have pushed Tyrone several times in the championship. There is not the justification for people saying we will get hammered. But at the same time, there is justification for saying we are deserved underdogs and that Tyrone would be expected to win. Indeed we could take a hammering. But it is far from certain.

TheClutch

Quote from: rosskarr on June 27, 2017, 11:45:27 PM
Quote from: TheClutch on June 27, 2017, 02:30:41 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 27, 2017, 01:25:29 PM
I can't understand why plenty of people are saying that Tyrone will hammer us, I don't think we'll win but I don't expect a walkover as some are predicting. Tyrone hammered Derry and Donegal but Derry are useless and I must have been watching a different Tyrone v Donegal match as I thought Donegal were awful more than Tyrone being amazing. Both Derry and Donegal threw the towel in for the last quarter of the match which is where Tyrone really opened up a big gap between the teams.

Yes we're not coming in under the radar and Harrison is no longer a secret weapon but I'd like to think we can give Tyrone their fill of it and at least make it a competitive match. Some turnaround from the attitudes after the Fermanagh and Clare matches when we thought we wouldn't win a game all season - we're not just one win (Ulster final or qualifier) away from an AI QF.

I think branding Harrison a secret weapon is a bit over the top. He has been in and around the county panel for a few seasons now, this year he has been given an opportunity with sustained game time and has taken it - he also played against Armagh and had a decent afternoon then also. He had a fantastic game on Saturday night and hopefully he can produce more of the same as he is clearly capable of it.
I don't think that Tyrone will hammer us either but it is hard not to see past a Tyrone victory. Then again I felt the exact same going into the Monaghan game so hopefully this Down team continue to surprise us.
Sustained game time? 1 and 3/4 matches

Harrison got good game time during the McKenna Cup and National League.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

Mike Tyson

How many Down lads would start on the Tyrone team?

Ryan Johnson? Mooney?

Don't think he'd start on the Tyrone team but Shay Millar for me has been Down's best performer in both games. Is everywhere on the pitch, gets on a lot of ball and very rarely makes a mistake or takes the wrong option. Hadn't seen him play much before but have been pleasantly surprised.

snoopdog

Lads do ulster final tickets be on general sale? Or only from Clubs?

Samforever

Tickets on sale at SuperValu in Newry, though machine currently down or st tickets.ie

Aristo 60

Quote from: Mike Tyson on June 28, 2017, 09:21:15 AM
How many Down lads would start on the Tyrone team?

Ryan Johnson? Mooney?

Don't think he'd start on the Tyrone team but Shay Millar for me has been Down's best performer in both games. Is everywhere on the pitch, gets on a lot of ball and very rarely makes a mistake or takes the wrong option. Hadn't seen him play much before but have been pleasantly surprised.

As someone said elsewhere it only takes 1 good run to change everyone's perception of a player.

Mourne Rover

Although The Clutch suggests that Harrison got good game time in the McKenna Cup and the National League, he did not actually feature in either competition in 2017. He started against Monaghan in the USC first round last summer, and his next competitive appearance was in this year's first round against Armagh. However, he was previously involved in Down squads going back to 2013.

TheClutch

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 28, 2017, 01:55:42 PM
Although The Clutch suggests that Harrison got good game time in the McKenna Cup and the National League, he did not actually feature in either competition in 2017. He started against Monaghan in the USC first round last summer, and his next competitive appearance was in this year's first round against Armagh. However, he was previously involved in Down squads going back to 2013.
I stand corrected - I remember seeing Harrison getting fair amount of game time in McKenna and NFL under Eamonn Burns, must have been 2016. I still stand by my statement that calling him a "secret weapon" is over the top, considering as you have pointed out Mourne Rover that he has been in and around the panel since 2013.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

oileain blues

Watched the game again , wasn't it nice to see Oisin mcconville squirm but the match asked me one question , how far can we go, is it a case of everything else is a bonus or can we really challenge, personally a fully fit and motivated Down will give any team a run , I say sit back lads and enjoy the ride , it will be good, to all involved congrats (Sean og included) to the begrudgers feck off , to Tyrone ,  beware of the crouching tiger in the red and black!!!

SamFever

After all the euphoria of last weekend least we have a game tonight to look forward to.Liatroim beat Drumaness last night and I notice the Ballyholland Kilcoo game appears to taking place tonight.
Magpies obviously not wanting a backlog of fixtures at the end of the season that may interrupt a potential Ulster Championship run. By the way,well done to all last Saturday night.

Lecale Gael

All County Minors

Must be the biggest number of entrants for a few years. Liatroim be the favourites ??

Group A
Saul
Baile an Locha
Downpatrick RGU
Bredagh

Group B 
Rostrevor 
Burren
Mayobridge
Rosconnor Gaels

Group C
Kilcoo
Bryansford
Clonduff
Carryduff

Group D
Shamrocks, 
Ballyholland
Liatroim
CPN
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Laoiseabu

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

5 Sams

Harps had a surprisingly comfortable victory over a strong Kilcoo team tonight (apart from their County players obviously). We were missing Joe and Rony as well so it was a great result. Conor Laverty had an uncharacteristic abberation sticking the boot into one of our lads and getting a straight red. Nice to take two points off the Magpies. :D :D :D
The Aristocrat Years