Hurls/Camogie sticks for children

Started by The Stallion, November 29, 2015, 05:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stallion

Hi,

Planning on buying the above for nephew and niece. One is 3 and the other 4 so maybe a bit young. Anyone recommend anywhere in Ulster to get them? Near Belfast preferably.

AZOffaly

You can get the hurlógs for them, especially the 3 year old. They are foam hurleys, but they are rigid and can hit the ball fine.

The Stallion

LeoMc

Both regular and the HurlOgs can be got in the O'Neills shop at the Kennedy centre.

johnneycool

Quote from: LeoMc on November 30, 2015, 12:31:31 PM
Both regular and the HurlOgs can be got in the O'Neills shop at the Kennedy centre.

They may be the shape of a hurl, but thats where it ends for some of those yolks any time I've been in the Kennedy centre O'Neills shop.

Its very easy to get crap wrapped up as a hurl, especially for youngsters, although your lad is 4 or so, the hurlóg may still be fine, but the small cultecs are the way to go for youngsters from 5-6 to 10 or so, they're light and have a decent balance about them.

Most ash hurls for youngsters are terrible unless you can work with them a bit.

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on December 01, 2015, 12:40:37 PM

They may be the shape of a hurl, but thats where it ends for some of those yolks any time I've been in the Kennedy centre O'Neills shop.

Its very easy to get crap wrapped up as a hurl, especially for youngsters, although your lad is 4 or so, the hurlóg may still be fine, but the small cultecs are the way to go for youngsters from 5-6 to 10 or so, they're light and have a decent balance about them.

In fairness, the hurlógs are not meant to be hurls, but they are good introduction to the concept, and because of the way they are made, and the ball, they can be used indoors etc. For 3-4 year old kids they are a grand little introduction toy. Wood hurls would be dangerous in the hands of a 3 year old :)

When they start playing in the club or whatever, then by all means by them a GOOD ash hurl, or a cúltec hurl. Light, smooth, right sized and comfortable to hold and swing. But I don't think that's what the OP was talking about?

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 01, 2015, 01:37:55 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on December 01, 2015, 12:40:37 PM

In fairness, the hurlógs are not meant to be hurls, but they are good introduction to the concept, and because of the way they are made, and the ball, they can be used indoors etc. For 3-4 year old kids they are a grand little introduction toy. Wood hurls would be dangerous in the hands of a 3 year old :)

When they start playing in the club or whatever, then by all means by them a GOOD ash hurl, or a cúltec hurl. Light, smooth, right sized and comfortable to hold and swing. But I don't think that's what the OP was talking about?

Understand, but the number of youngsters I've saw with shapeless and heavy ash hurls which will hinder their enjoyment is unreal, parents buying for them to 'grow into'!

Just pointing out these pitfalls.

AZOffaly

Yeah, agree. I come across it the odd time myself. Either a pure board you wouldn't use to mix cement, or something about 8 inches too long.