What's your earliest soccer World Cup memory?

Started by seafoid, October 26, 2022, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 31, 2022, 04:15:04 AM
Some great memories here.

ITV's 1986 theme

Reminds me of going outside to kick the ball around the yard with my brothers after every match.

ITV nailed it again with their 1990 theme

And of course, there's Put em under pressure. There was a lot of World Cup tunes in the charts at the time, but this is the one that sticks.

That 86 World Cup theme brings  me back . Great  tune.  Didn't saint and greavsie adopt that  tune after 86?

I remember the sticker  book from 86 as well.  Great memories

Eamonnca1

Armamike

Quote from: naka on October 28, 2022, 02:42:27 PM
Quote from: Armamike on October 28, 2022, 09:47:51 AM
78.  Great spectacle with the ticker tape.  The theme tune.  Kempes' long hair and the tightness of the Argentinian shorts.  The talk around Cruyff not playing - he had fallen out with the Dutch FA i think and that was his last chance at a tournament.  Archie Gemmill's goal and how Scotland were so close to pulling off a great escape act.  The talk before the tournament from Ally McCloud about how Scotland were going to win it.  The images of him with his head in his hands.  Willy Johnson being sent home for failing a drugs test.
thought cruyff refused to go because of the military junta?

Must have been because of the Dutch FA's stance on the military junta then  ;D  I remember feeling pissed off him missing it - i was too young to remember him in 74. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

ONeill

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 31, 2022, 09:44:31 AM
Italian 90: When football changed forever tonight on C4 @ 9pm (albeit about England but looks good)

Italy 90 was a weird one I thought. I just remember it being narky and full of boring low-scoring draws. The stats will probably suggest otherwise. Is it fair to say 86 was the last of the samba-style football from the Brazilians?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

An Watcher

Not 100% but don't think Brazil were great in 86

ONeill

You're probably right. I remember them blitzing Poland and the NI game but didn't really get going.

clarshack

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 31, 2022, 09:44:31 AM
Italian 90: When football changed forever tonight on C4 @ 9pm (albeit about England but looks good)

Was worth watching.

ONeill

If you have Netflix, the 'Becoming Champions' series is worth watching. Loved the Italy episode.

Dire Ear

Zico, Socrates...not sure of the year,  but a majestic outfit

SHEEDY

Quote from: Dire Ear on November 04, 2022, 06:30:32 PM
Zico, Socrates...not sure of the year,  but a majestic outfit
1982. Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Eder something magical about that team at the time, damn you Paulo Rossi
nil satis nisi optimum

Wildweasel74

Your forgetting Oscar and Junior there too, remember the final with Karl Heize hitting the crossbar and a impressive Dion Zoff.

Eamonnca1

When playing in the yard at lunchtime I was Junior. My mates were Zico, Maradona, etc.. Oh to be ten years old again!

ONeill