TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Season 1 of The Expanse was great Sci-Fi but season 2 has been even better, S2E2 quality TV.
#newbridgeornowhere

Smokin Joe

Quote from: lurganblue on February 23, 2017, 11:29:40 AM

Yes noticed this was on Netflix last night. I think it will be next on my list.  Still ploughing on through Power on Netflix. Decent show in fairness.

We're two series through Power; it's a really enjoyable watch.
Oh, and there is that much sex in it that it's almost like it's a soft p*rn show

Rawhide

cccc is a true supporter lol

bennydorano

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 23, 2017, 03:50:11 PM
Season 1 of The Expanse was great Sci-Fi but season 2 has been even better, S2E2 quality TV.
Must give it another go, watched Episode 1 and never went back.

I watched Stargate Universe recently again for the 3rd time. Best Sci-Fi series ever imo. Broke my heart when it got cancelled.

oisinog

Quote from: johnneycool on February 22, 2017, 12:17:14 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 21, 2017, 08:14:08 PM
Watched SAS - Rogue Warriors (3 episodes on BBC iplayer), very interesting. Concentrates on their formation and only deals with WW2 Activities. Paddy Mayne was certainly an interesting character / leader. Thinking of buying a Biography now.

The hero of Newtownards.

British and Irish Lion as well

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on February 23, 2017, 10:10:30 AM
The ESPN documentary OJ Made in America is great and I would recommend it to anyone that is interested in the story

It's about 8hrs
It is now an Oscar winning doco.

Billys Boots

Watching an Australian TV drama (on Sky) called 'The Kettering Incident' at the moment.  Set in Tasmania, it's about a young doctor returning to the community in which she grew up and became ostracized after the aforesaid 'incident'.  It's Australian TV, so I wouldn't say it is highly recommended, but I would have to say it is like Twin Peaks on speed, and very enjoyable, if you like that sort of thing (which I do). 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

screenexile

Catastrophe is just a superb comedy the best I've seen in a long time!

Hardy

I'd never heard of Inside No. 9 until I saw last night's episode (BBC2 10:00). I was going to be hooked anyway by the cryptic crossword theme (which was beautifully handled) but I thought it was a brilliant mix of comedy, macabre and a really clever plot. I haven't seen anything as good in a 30-minute show for years. I gather this is the second series. Does anybody have any insight? Is it all as good as this?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2017, 10:33:53 AM
I'd never heard of Inside No. 9 until I saw last night's episode (BBC2 10:00). I was going to be hooked anyway by the cryptic crossword theme (which was beautifully handled) but I thought it was a brilliant mix of comedy, macabre and a really clever plot. I haven't seen anything as good in a 30-minute show for years. I gather this is the second series. Does anybody have any insight? Is it all as good as this?
A couple of people in work rave about it and say the episodes need to be watched a couple of times to notice various plot devices and use of props which might not have any meaning on first viewing. Must watch a couple myself.

Megaman

Quote from: screenexile on March 01, 2017, 10:11:51 AM

Really good Comedy.

only realised it started last night thanks to your post

bennydorano

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 01, 2017, 01:41:42 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2017, 10:33:53 AM
A couple of people in work rave about it and say the episodes need to be watched a couple of times to notice various plot devices and use of props which might not have any meaning on first viewing. Must watch a couple myself.
Did the Series 1 & 2 boxsets over Christmas (see they aren't currently available on iplayer) as the brother raved about it. I found the 1st 10 mins of Episode 1 really really  annoying for some reason & took me a couple of goes to finally get past it, rest of the series is excellent (as is S1 Ep 1, just bugged me a bit).

The Christmas special wasn't overly well received generally, it was ok.

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 28, 2017, 07:39:33 PM
Watching an Australian TV drama (on Sky) called 'The Kettering Incident' at the moment.  Set in Tasmania, it's about a young doctor returning to the community in which she grew up and became ostracized after the aforesaid 'incident'.  It's Australian TV, so I wouldn't say it is highly recommended, but I would have to say it is like Twin Peaks on speed, and very enjoyable, if you like that sort of thing (which I do).
Thanks for the thumbs up Billy

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Megaman on March 01, 2017, 02:31:02 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 01, 2017, 10:11:51 AM

Really good Comedy.

only realised it started last night thanks to your post

Started from scratch the other night on a mates recommendation. lifesaver as theres d#ick all else om. Very well written and acted comedy.

leenie

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but currently on BBC I player under the Storyville collection the is a documentary called Death on a Staircase..... it's 8 episodes but throughly mersmerizing.. I do believe I was the first to reccommend making a murderer, so those who enjoyed that will also like this..  I'm still thinking about it..

P.s give yourself an evening because it's non stop viewing

DO NOT GOOGLE UNTIL WATCHED
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..