Good article detailing Dublin's unfair funding advantage

Started by TheMaster, February 13, 2019, 07:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: priceyreilly on February 14, 2019, 09:00:33 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 14, 2019, 08:19:51 PM
So basically you were all happy for the Dubs to fund your clubhouses and county grounds, but the minute Dublin got organised and spent money well, waaah waaah.

Happy to have a situation where counties can only spend what they earn.

;D The funny thing is that your county ground Croke Park was funded by all of us, your facilities in DCU and elsewhere were funded by all of us and your 6 All Ireland's were funded by all of us! Show a bit of gratitude.

All of us? Each county put up an equal 32nd of the cost?

Like I said, happy to go down tbe soccer route. Soend only what you bring in. No grants.

priceyreilly

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 14, 2019, 09:28:00 PM
So basically you were all happy for the Dubs to fund your clubhouses and county grounds, but the minute Dublin got organised and spent money well, waaah waaah.

;D The funny thing is that your county ground Croke Park was funded by all of us, your facilities in DCU and elsewhere were funded by all of us and your 6 All Ireland's were funded by all of us! Show a bit of gratitude.

Like I said, happy to go down tbe soccer route. Soend only what you bring in. No grants.

Yes and not just GAA people. Millions of taxpayers money bought you your stadium and your All Ireland's. Where's our thanks? And you're happy to stop all grants now? Right after Dublin got multiples of what everyone else got?  ;D You're grand, we'll split you up instead and divide out the millions you get every year between all of us.

naka

Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2019, 12:25:21 PM
That is a pretty compelling article.
Reading that makes you realise the game is now a boogie
The gaa central council  should hold their heads in shame.

manfromdelmonte

The Dubs would gt feck all money
Parnell park only holds 10K!!!

the dubs rely on every other county to allow them to use Croke Park and also for grant money.

johnnycool

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 14, 2019, 12:33:36 PM
Pulled some of it from here, including the hurling argument. He's still a arsehole.

Cork GAA and big Frank missed a trick.

If its all about bums on seats then I'd say Cork hurling support is second only to the Dubs footballers and considering the distances they travel for AI semi-finals and so forth the GAA should be throwing money into Cork hurling development using the same logic as applied here by Ryan.

bannside

Not often those cute hoors miss a trick! I spoke with an avid Dub fan yesterday and put some of the points on here to him, and he was of the opinion that Dublin came to the association with a plan to develop gaelic games in the capital (x years ago) and that plan was considered on its merit at the time, and was endorsed.  He was of the opinion that if other counties had put a plan in, it too would have been given a fair hearing. Apparently that's his "inside track" on the matter.

A, it sounds too simplistic....we asked therefore we got! But if that was the case then tbf you can't hold it against the Dubs for the superb way they implemented and saw the plan through, and still are.

There might be something in it. I know of county boards who submitted funding requests that were turned down for one reason or another (maybe the plan or the people behind it lacked credibility) but in our case (Antrim) a good solid professional plan was adopted eventually.

Could it be a simple case that each funding application is considered on its own merits??

rosnarun

I think people have completely the wrong end of the stick here.
the Gaa and its Finances are about promoting the plating of Gaelic games and the Allireland senior county championship is only one aspect of that and far from the most important.
Dublin deserve extra money by way of the sheer numbers they have to contend with . sharing money equally between clubs does not hold water. many rural clubs find it difficult in fielding 1 team , should they really get the same funding as Kilmacud Crokes who According to  'An Gclub'  last night field 180 teams  and there are several more clubs like them.
yes it does have a ling term effect on how the intercounty team Does but for 95% of the players the county team has no relevance they just want to go out and enjoy themselves playin football or stickball
as for the problem of Dublin my solution would be treat Dublin as a province . let them split any way they see fit  but at the end of the Dublin Provincial championship the Dubs  still would have one team to follow and the rest of leinster championship would be a lot more enjoyable
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

easytiger95

Quote from: bannside on February 14, 2019, 09:39:22 AM
Looking at this subjectively, I think one solution may be to devide Dublin into two. North and South. I know this has been mooted previously, some even say devide into four, but there's a strong case to be made for it on economical grounds too....given this seems to be a driving influence!

It's well known that Dubliners are very sensitive to their North /South roots so this rivalry could open up even more passion for games within the capital.  North could play Parnell Park and South at Abbotsown. Croke Park could return to the organisation.

On the basis there's now 34 counties (London included) a motion should be forwarded that in interests of financial parity that all annual revenue allocated for development is distributed equally between 34 participating counties. Yes both Dublins would still attract major sponsorship etc but there would be a much more level playing field for all.

So we are meant to take seriously a proposal to split Dublin based on the Northside playing at an 11k capacity Donnycarney venue, and the Southside playing in a non-existent stadium at the sports campus in Dublin's North west???

Sloppy stuff, like a lot of the arguments around this, including Mr. McKenna's.

Baile Brigín 2

The southside venue is further north than the northside one. Genius

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: priceyreilly on February 14, 2019, 09:36:34 PM

Yes and not just GAA people. Millions of taxpayers money bought you your stadium and your All Ireland's. Where's our thanks? And you're happy to stop all grants now? Right after Dublin got multiples of what everyone else got?  ;D You're grand, we'll split you up instead and divide out the millions you get every year between all of us.

And most of that rax is Dublin generated.

Do i get the feeling thus is really about angry culchies?

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on February 15, 2019, 10:52:00 AM
Good idea - Dublin a Province with 4 Co Boards .
If they want to boost playing numbers, great-  but not at the expense of competition
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2019, 11:31:55 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 15, 2019, 10:52:00 AM
Good idea - Dublin a Province with 4 Co Boards .
If they want to boost playing numbers, great-  but not at the expense of competition

but think of the extra poer the 'Dublin ' county board would have  acting as a provincial one. and if they represent at least 25% of the country then they are entitled to it that  could be very attractive to the committee men
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

4 County Boards and a Provincial Council would require an awful lot of Committees ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on February 15, 2019, 03:12:04 PM
4 County Boards and a Provincial Council would require an awful lot of Committees ;D
Don't mind the committees, what about the addition of another four county panels if the GAA followed its own rules and split Dublin in four?
Back in 1884, the county was used as the basis for the present intercounty model. After all, they were used for local government purpose and it was a logical progression to establish 32 county boards and take it from there. In recent years, Dublin was split into four administration units, aka, counties i.e. Dunlaoire/Rathdown, Fingal, South Dublin and Dublin City.
Say most counties would field at least 40 players at senior level during an average year. (Probably a lot more but I'll settle for 40.) Straightaway, at least additional 120 players would get to compare their skills with the best in the game and that's the ambition of all who play at this level in any given year.
It would also mean 4 additional senior club championships and so on down the line.
How many Dublin club players drop out of the game before they would wish because of the lack of opportunity to advance to at least one higher level?
IMO, that's the real tragedy.
In short, the GAA is pandering to Dublin's mendacious demands and in the process is endangering the very future of the organisation.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi