Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

ballix - well, great minds and all that craic

:D :D

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 18, 2007, 04:07:25 PM
great leap forward; yer not gonna let tony off with that are ye.....................

I don't feel the need to defend my fellow Rasharkin man against the likes of Tony. Sure one of his heroes is Neil Lennon who comes accross the one of the biggest pricks ever to kick a ball. Lennon is probably dead on in the flesh but he gives the impression that he is an arrogant wee ****.

I have known Chrissy for over 20 years and despite what people think of his demeanour, he is a modest enouigh young lad and anybody in Southampton will tell you he worked harder than anybody to make it in the game.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 18, 2007, 04:55:21 PM
Quote from: rashCharacter on October 18, 2007, 04:15:47 PM
Tony,

What is it about Chris Baird that makes you form such a spiteful bitter opinion of someone you probably haven't met.

I don't suppose it's anything to do with the fact that he's a Gaelic football-playing Catholic from Rasharkin, who is also proud to have been appointed captain of NI, thereby tearing the arse out of the bigot Fearon's attempt to portray them as "mono-cultural/sectarian/Unionist bla bla bla..."?

That is, the Irish soccer team which didn't embarrass its fans last night, as they continue to contest a place in the Finals of Euro2008?

I havent really being following it, see they got a good draw in Sweden.
How are the fixed for qualification EG, outside chance or still in their own hands?
Ask me holy bollix

nifan

Very much an outside chance hhn,

need to win both denmark at home and spain away, and hope that sweden take at least a point in spain.

Not likely but you have to hope!

T Fearon

More chance of Paisley being next Pope than the six counties team appearing in Austria and Switzerland next summer. 1 point maximum out of the last 6 is the best they can hope for, and I still am optimistic that they won't finish any higher than 4th place while the real Ireland team defeats the Taffs to finish third in our group, confirming that there is still only one team in Ireland ;D.

As for equating Baird with Chimbonda, Chimbonda plays for the team that finished 5th in last year's Premiership I will remind you all, and also weighs in with important goals.

Would Baird ever have got a move to the Premiership if Sanchez hadn't become Fulham manager? I don't think so

quit yo jibbajabba

good man leap; knew ye wouldnt let yer fellow "boys from the bad side o the bann" down....

i had posted around 4 y'day, but i suppose by then the workin day was well and truly oer for silly servants........ ;D

nifan

Quote from: T Fearon on October 19, 2007, 10:51:44 AM
Would Baird ever have got a move to the Premiership if Sanchez hadn't become Fulham manager? I don't think so

Well seeing as Roy Keane also tried to buy him, and it came down to his decision, then probably.

As for your comments as to the positions of NI and ROI, Id still rather be in contention for a place now, and have the possibility of finishing 4th, than be 7 points behind second with a game extra played and out of it.

tintin25

Don't know Chris Baird, so can't comment on him personally, but anytime I've seen him play for Fulham this season he's got badly roasted!!! Not a Premiership footballer IMO.

T Fearon

Excellent epistle from a G Hanna on the lack of support forthcoming for the monocultural IFA side and the shame of the Englishman heading up the IFA trying to deny the freely expressed wishes of Darron Gibson to represent the real Ireland side. Well done, Mr,Mrs or Miss Hanna ;)

nifan

Tony, agree or disagree on Gibsons position a person cannot select which country to represent.
If it is deemed that Gibson is qualified to play for the ROI then fine, if not the rules are there to be followed.
The persons opinion only matters when there is a legitimate choice to make, which we will find out upon shortly.

T Fearon

How come Aiden Mc Geady can elect to play for Ireland when he was

1) Born in Scotland
2) Scotland wanted him to play for them
3) Scotland and Ireland are clear and distinct countries separated by water

How come Darron Gibson seemingly might be ineligible for Ireland when he was

1) Born in Ireland
2) His native City's Club side play in the league of Ireland
3) He Holds an Irish Passport.

The anomaly here baffles me, I'm afraid.

If the ruling by Swiss bureaucrats goes against Gibson I hope he takes his case to the European Court of Human Rights, just like Bosman. At the end of the day the IFA have made no effort whatsoever to attract nationalist players or fans by their retention of sectarian laws like the Ban on Sunday Soccer, and the retention of exclusively Unionist symbols and paraphernalia. UEFA/FIFA should be investigating why a so called national side fails to garner support and is actively alienated from 50% of its population

ziggysego

The letter sounds like you Tony. You wouldn't have a new pen name would you?
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Ziggy, why would I use a false name? In any case the Editor wouldn't print a letter with a name unless he was certain the name was authentic. What OWC/IFA dont seem to realise is that my views are not those of a crank (as they sadly attempt to portray) but are widely if not universally shared throughout the nationalist population of the 6 counties

dublinfella

Quote from: T Fearon on October 20, 2007, 12:32:40 PM
How come Aiden Mc Geady can elect to play for Ireland when he was

1) Born in Scotland
2) Scotland wanted him to play for them
3) Scotland and Ireland are clear and distinct countries separated by water

How come Darron Gibson seemingly might be ineligible for Ireland when he was

1) Born in Ireland
2) His native City's Club side play in the league of Ireland
3) He Holds an Irish Passport.

The anomaly here baffles me, I'm afraid.FIF

If the ruling by Swiss bureaucrats goes against Gibson I hope he takes his case to the European Court of Human Rights, just like Bosman. At the end of the day the IFA have made no effort whatsoever to attract nationalist players or fans by their retention of sectarian laws like the Ban on Sunday Soccer, and the retention of exclusively Unionist symbols and paraphernalia. UEFA/FIFA should be investigating why a so called national side fails to garner support and is actively alienated from 50% of its population

A very simplified view Tony. Like it or not, citizenship os not enough on its own anymore. Technically the IFA are correct here. DG fails to meet any of the 3 other criteria for eligibility for the FAI side. Aiden McGeady doesn't.

Ignore the political angle, and I laugh when I hear the European Court of Human Rights mentioned (which 'human right' exactly is being breached?) and look at the rules. They have been breached.

Prepare yourself for the probability the FAI lost and face a big fine.

Rossfan

I suppose they'll expect South Dublin Council or Thomas Davis to pay the fine for them  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM