You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Somewhere, a fringe is missing one of its lunatics.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Cáthasaigh on June 29, 2011, 09:44:18 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 29, 2011, 09:18:11 PM
Here's hoping you will now ride corrected as well.  ;D

So it's not the bodies of the untermensch under the tracks of you Panzer which grinds your gears Gruppenfuhrer Hardy. Whodathunkit/

One of your people's armies Cáthasaigh made great use of their tanks in Tiananmen Square.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

saffron sam2

The Post Office

I went to tax the car today, the first day on my quite lengthy holidays, and tried to pay with a credit card.

"Sorry we don't accept credit cards.", says she.

"But that sign says you do - you welcome them in fact."

"That sign shouldn't be there - we don't accept credit cards.", says she.

"But I paid for my passport here with the same credit card two months ago."

"No you didn't.", says she.

"Yes, I did. I'll show you the statement on the iphone if you like."

"No, you didn't - we don't accept credit cards, never have, never will.", says she.

"OK, enjoy your summer!".

Had that happened in the last week of August the reaction would have been different.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hardy

They pay comedy writers good money to write stuff like that. Or this:

I went into the NIB branch on the South Mall in Cork the other day to pay my credit card bill. I usually do it online, so I wouldn't often be in the branch, but this time I'd missed the deadline. So I give the wan behind the counter my statement and a wad of cash.

"Sorry, I can't take that", says she.

"What? Why not?"

"This is a cashless bank", says she.

"A cashless bank? What does that mean?"

"We don't handle cash. But you can pay it in the Post Office", says she. "It's not far", she added, helpfully.

"Have I got this right? I'm here in NIB, with money for NIB, but I have to go down the street, round the corner and up to the Post Office to give it yo you?"

"That's right. I'm sorry", says she.

Sometimes I think I'm living in a Spike Milligan sketch. Just for an added head-shaking factor, when I got to the P.O., of course it was pension day. Took half an hour to get to the counter.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on June 29, 2011, 10:10:06 PM
They pay comedy writers good money to write stuff like that. Or this:

I went into the NIB branch on the South Mall in Cork the other day to pay my credit card bill. I usually do it online, so I wouldn't often be in the branch, but this time I'd missed the deadline. So I give the wan behind the counter my statement and a wad of cash.

"Sorry, I can't take that", says she.

"What? Why not?"

"This is a cashless bank", says she.

"A cashless bank? What does that mean?"

"We don't handle cash. But you can pay it in the Post Office", says she. "It's not far", she added, helpfully.

"Have I got this right? I'm here in NIB, with money for NIB, but I have to go down the street, round the corner and up to the Post Office to give it yo you?"

"That's right. I'm sorry", says she.

Sometimes I think I'm living in a Spike Milligan sketch. Just for an added head-shaking factor, when I got to the P.O., of course it was pension day. Took half an hour to get to the counter.

:D

Holy feck, the government have finally barred them from handling cash, but missed the (massive) loophole!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Don't go to the Post Office Hardy.

2 weeks ago I went to the local PO to post off scripts to Manchester through Parcelforce.

Says me: Can I send these off with Parcelforce?

PO Woman: Mmmm, I don't think so.

Me: :Yea, I sent them off from here last year. They're paid for already. You just need to give them to the Parcelforce man.

PO: We don't have a Parcelforce service.

Me: You do, he arrives every day. I see him

PO: No, you need to go to a bigger Post Office.

Me: But look - there's the Parcelforce sticker on the counter. He'll be here soon.

PO: Mmmm, I'm not sure about that. I only started on here last week.

Me: You just need to give me a receipt and give them to the Parcelforce man.

PO: You need to go to a bigger Post Office.

I left and as I walked out of the shop I was greeted by the Parcelforce van parked outside the shop door. He scanned it and just shook his head.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

el_cuervo_fc

Fuckin Santander.

Such a hassle to deposit money into a business account. They can't take cash or cheques. It's the same scenario as above. If you are lucky you can use the machine (if it's working) to do it but not over the counter. You have to go to the post office or they'll give you an address to send cheques over to England.

What lunatic came up with this great idea?

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on June 29, 2011, 11:03:32 PM

2 weeks ago I went to the local PO to post off scripts to Manchester through Parcelforce.

Me: :Yea, I sent them off from here last year. They're paid for already. You just need to give them to the Parcelforce man.

Me: But look - there's the Parcelforce sticker on the counter. He'll be here soon.

I left and as I walked out of the shop I was greeted by the Parcelforce van parked outside the shop door. He scanned it and just shook his head.

Good man O'Neill. I'm just after aytin my own face with the laughing.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on June 29, 2011, 11:45:37 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 29, 2011, 11:03:32 PM

Good man O'Neill. I'm just after aytin my own face with the laughing.

We should make Parcelforce Man the next head of the ECB.

I'd vote for him.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 29, 2011, 08:58:50 PM
Quote from: Cold tea on June 29, 2011, 08:29:57 PM
•never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

*I stand corrected.*
I had you down for being related to Muppet what with the dazzling ability you both share to
know pretty much all there is to know about everything... but due to recent events  ::) I'm now not so sure  ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

LeoMc

Quote from: Hardy on June 29, 2011, 09:45:02 PM

I concur.
How about that for an alterantive to the +1, Hardy?

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 29, 2011, 06:25:44 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2011, 05:25:07 PM
Cyclists on country roads going 2 (or more) abreast.

It's perfectly legal to ride 2 abreast. Get over yourself.

No it's not - I pointed this out before, but we know you struggle with most things - UK Highway code.

You should

•keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
•keep both feet on the pedals
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
•not ride close behind another vehicle
•not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
•be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted

I haven't seen a wide country road yet.

so then, is it in the highway code, or just a wives tale, that a slow moving vehicle has to pull in when there is more than 5 vehicles behind it?
If this is true, im gona buy myself a highway code book, and wave it furiously at tractor drivers ;D

Hardy

Quote from: LeoMc on June 30, 2011, 11:10:02 AM
Quote from: Hardy on June 29, 2011, 09:45:02 PM

I concur.
How about that for an alterantive to the +1, Hardy?

I came, I saw, I concurred.

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on June 30, 2011, 03:03:22 AM
•never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

*I stand corrected.*
I had you down for being related to Muppet what with the dazzling ability you both share to
know pretty much all there is to know about everything... but due to recent events  ::) I'm now not so sure  ;D

To a 4 year old and 8 year pretty much knows all there is to know.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on June 30, 2011, 12:45:07 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on June 30, 2011, 03:03:22 AM

*I stand corrected.*

To a 4 year old and 8 year pretty much knows all there is to know.
True....but as adults, we understand that no one knows everything,
Apparently you two didn't get that memo :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann