You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on March 21, 2022, 12:37:17 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 21, 2022, 10:15:48 AM
colleagues who pull the mental health card when you know they're bullshitting.

Worked with a colleague one time that pulled the mental health card.  Furlough came into play when she was off and she asked to be put on furlough when the business was still finalising how it was going to manage all of that. 
So she was off  "sick" on stat pay, which is terrible I believe, and then when she got the opportunity to get better pay for the same situation she seized it.  I always wondered if furlough never existed would her "issues" have abated in the original 3 weeks she was due off.  Awful coincidence as soon as the business pulled furlough back (6months later), she was grand.....

That was something that caused business a lot of issues at the start of furlough. People who had been on sick leave wanted to come off sick leave to be furloughed. Weren't allowed to do this and people genuinely tried to take claims for it.

Brick Tamlin

Maybe my point was lost in the rant somewhere.
Im all for equal right between women and men and recognize the obvious disparity and ridiculous situation when it comes to equality in the workplace and safety of women in society.
Id well believe alot of what you have seen BC1 and agree that its harrowing and very worrying BUT i think we also have to recognise that more harm than good can be done by the bandwagon and feminist extremists that kick in and latch onto everything going.

Could you imagine for a second if there were a male version of Loose Women shown on ITV every day....the outrage would be deafening.
I read something a few weeks ago about the 2 Johnnies on a radio show or podcast getting cancelled or taken off air because of something they said. Not sure if it was a storm in a teacup but it just seems everything is PC-crazy now and you can say very little without someone being offended.
Alot of this also feeds into the Mental Health machine that has rocketed in the last 3 years.

brokencrossbar1

Like everything Brick there are extremes and I agree with you on that point. The difficulty I see is that the real issues are then lost because of what some people perceive to be feminism on Steroids. There is a middle ground that needs to be reached but generally the middle ground is a waste land, and that's reflective of the world in general. I would say though in my experience there needs to be a hard push back from women at this stage,  in the right way, to ensure they are heard. That will even out, and in my view is starting to even out already, but once again that will take time.

Brick Tamlin

Absolutely agree on that.
Its societal, generational....reflective of the world we live in.
I just hate having things rammed down my throat or poisoned about certain things.
Whether its LGBTQ+, Brexit, Vegans, Environmentalists, Irish Language Act, United Ireland, Womens rights.
We have a whole host of people (with questionable backgrounds and agendas) pontificating to us on a daily basis about what we should be thinking and how our attitudes should be...drives me insane.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 21, 2022, 01:06:37 PM
Absolutely agree on that.
Its societal, generational....reflective of the world we live in.
I just hate having things rammed down my throat or poisoned about certain things.
Whether its LGBTQ+, Brexit, Vegans, Environmentalists, Irish Language Act, United Ireland, Womens rights.
We have a whole host of people (with questionable backgrounds and agendas) pontificating to us on a daily basis about what we should be thinking and how our attitudes should be...drives me insane.

The joy of social media unfortunately, its got the good the bad and the ugly about it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Brick Tamlin

Not only social media.
Its infected Radio and television not to mention newspapers too.
Sensationalism wins out. The Nolan & X-Factor generation have alot to answer for.

tintin25

Speaking of Social Media, Mammy Banter and Rory's Stories are about as funny as the plague

Brick Tamlin

Dont go slaggin off mammy banter now.
Shes a new heroine for the ages for females all over Northern Ireland...flavour of the month.
She will be guest speaker at every womens event from now til the cows come home.

Woop woop, you go girl.

Average Score

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2022, 11:40:35 AM
Can't agree with this Brick. To be honest it's akin to the notion of Unionists seeing equality as oppression. Women do not have equal status in the world despite what people might think. They have the legal equal status but in real terms they don't have it. There is a massive gender pay gap. I see it in work all the time. There is a massive safety issue and I have seen that at first hand. In many industries there is not equal opportunity for women and men use their positions to abuse a set of circumstances. I have knowledge of stuff that is not in the public domain that would blow your mind on certain things. I personally don't feel intimidated or offended by International Womens Day. Do you?

The north has a gender pay gap in favor of women

imtommygunn

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 21, 2022, 01:12:46 PM
Not only social media.
Its infected Radio and television not to mention newspapers too.
Sensationalism wins out. The Nolan & X-Factor generation have alot to answer for.

The problem now is people are not sure what the right thing to say is on some topics.

An example would be there's a lot of furore these days around sports and transgender people competing in womens sports and then the problems with the once leading women now getting thrashed. It is a hot potato too as people who say it's not right are deemed discriminatory but then you have to question what is fair with testosterone / power levels etc etc. There is significant scientific debate on it which just gets shut down.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: 03,05,08 on March 21, 2022, 01:47:54 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2022, 11:40:35 AM
Can't agree with this Brick. To be honest it's akin to the notion of Unionists seeing equality as oppression. Women do not have equal status in the world despite what people might think. They have the legal equal status but in real terms they don't have it. There is a massive gender pay gap. I see it in work all the time. There is a massive safety issue and I have seen that at first hand. In many industries there is not equal opportunity for women and men use their positions to abuse a set of circumstances. I have knowledge of stuff that is not in the public domain that would blow your mind on certain things. I personally don't feel intimidated or offended by International Womens Day. Do you?

The north has a gender pay gap in favor of women

It's not a linear situation. In some cases they do but is not a straight line.

https://www.sustainableni.org/blog/blog-what-gender-pay-gap-northern-ireland

Silver hill

Armagh18

Quote from: tintin25 on March 21, 2022, 01:36:39 PM
Speaking of Social Media, Mammy Banter and Rory's Stories are about as funny as the plague
Rory's stories were top class 8 or 9 years ago when he started in all fairness. And fair play to him hes done well for himself and seems a real decent fella.

balladmaker

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 27, 2022, 11:00:24 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on March 21, 2022, 01:36:39 PM
Rory's stories were top class 8 or 9 years ago when he started in all fairness. And fair play to him hes done well for himself and seems a real decent fella.

I don't get Rory's Stories, seems like he's leading up to a joke but the punchline never arrives.  But yes, seems a decent fella and has created a profile for himself.